2004 SRX ratcheting noise at heavy acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2004 SRX ratcheting noise at heavy acceleration in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2004 SRX that when you take off heavy or fast there is a ratcheting noise that sounds ...
    rom324 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

2004 SRX ratcheting noise at heavy acceleration

I have a 2004 SRX that when you take off heavy or fast there is a ratcheting noise that sounds like a loud banging under the car. if you take off easy it does not happen, otherwise the car drives fine. Trying to diagnose this problem Thanks Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    If you have AWD maybe transfer case? If you have V6 maybe timing chain issue?

rom324 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    If you have AWD maybe transfer case? If you have V6 maybe timing chain issue?
    Thanks. I decided for $55 to take it to a Cadillac dealer to have them diagnose the problem. Will know soon.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2004 SRX ratcheting noise at heavy acceleration

How did the diagnosis go? Let us know if we can check into anything further for you on this.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

T-case is my vote.

Yeah I'm betting on transfer case as well

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sounds exactly like the transfer case.

alacy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 srx

I have a 2005 doing the same thing. Take off from stop at heavy acceleration and its a popping ratcheting sound just for a few seconds. The driver side front brake is also squeaking when I turn the wheel and the brakes, rotors etc. Are new. Let me know what you find out I was told the axle.

SRX619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Transfer case. Just did mine. Find somebody other than dealer to fix as it is expensive. Get transfer case from on line GM parts dealer and a transmission shop can install it.

2005srx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 srx

Thumbs down Re: 2004 SRX ratcheting noise at heavy acceleration

SOunds like gm has given us all the slip here!
    What you are hearing is the transfer chain slipping on the drive sprocket inside of the transfer case. THIS HAS RECALL WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!!! but gm told us to get bent. I have the same problem in mine and will never in my life spend hard earned money on a GM. I have talked to so many others with the same problem! Gm got wind of this and started using a new BETTER chain to correct the problem but never made good on all the "defected " ones that got by and started slipping at 50,000 miles.
    Cobra trans in fla can help you out.

Heres what i found.....

All wheel drive versions for both engines come with the Borg Warner BW-4476 transfer case. The BW4476 for the SRX originally came with the CT-HV-080 chain and later superseded by the CT-HV-095. The 095 was developed for the Cadillac 265 and 295. Our understanding is the 095 chain is a bit stronger than the 080 chain.

A common problem arising with this unit is a stretched chain. If caught and fixed early enough the damage should be limited just to the chain.

The common symptom is a popping noise coming from underneath the vehicle, especially when at a dead stop and speeding up. The noise could be heard when the vehicle is under a heavy load.

The important thing to keep in mind is to replace the chain as soon as you suspect a problem so the sprockets do not get ruined, thus increasing the cost of the repair.
    03zx6r likes this.

green machine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD

I have a 2004 V8 AWD, and am getting the same problems. i am not too thrilled about it. I would expect a little more from a Cadillac. It is looking more and more like i will have to make the switch to Japanese when the time comes, seeing as how my other vehicles have gone that way as well.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Cause Japanese cars never break

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Cause Japanese cars never break
    Yup. All cars breakdown it's a fact of life. It's just a rage thing "I'm mad at you so I'll threaten to buy something else next time" let's face it this is a car that is 8 or 9 model years old and newer revisions of this model were updated to fix this issue. Also this was the first year of this platform that needs to be taken into consideration. The srx was completely new with most interior things borrowed from CTS that was new as well just 1 year prior but drivetrain wise completely different than the CTS.

A new platform is expected to have some issues in its first year.

03zx6r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 srx v8 awd

Here's a thread on DIY transfer case chain replacement... which may be your problem

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...placement.html

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2005srx View Post
    SOunds like gm has given us all the slip here!
    What you are hearing is the transfer chain slipping on the drive sprocket inside of the transfer case. THIS HAS RECALL WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!!! but gm told us to get bent. I have the same problem in mine and will never in my life spend hard earned money on a GM. I have talked to so many others with the same problem! Gm got wind of this and started using a new BETTER chain to correct the problem but never made good on all the "defected " ones that got by and started slipping at 50,000 miles.
    Cobra trans in fla can help you out.

Heres what i found.....

All wheel drive versions for both engines come with the Borg Warner BW-4476 transfer case. The BW4476 for the SRX originally came with the CT-HV-080 chain and later superseded by the CT-HV-095. The 095 was developed for the Cadillac 265 and 295. Our understanding is the 095 chain is a bit stronger than the 080 chain.

A common problem arising with this unit is a stretched chain. If caught and fixed early enough the damage should be limited just to the chain.

The common symptom is a popping noise coming from underneath the vehicle, especially when at a dead stop and speeding up. The noise could be heard when the vehicle is under a heavy load.

The important thing to keep in mind is to replace the chain as soon as you suspect a problem so the sprockets do not get ruined, thus increasing the cost of the repair.

Nice write-up and research 2005, you nailed it. But don't stress getting it fixed immediately when the noise is first heard and detected. My '04 v8 northstar got so bad it'd barely start moving from a complete stop on ANY incline, where I was finally forced to quit driving it until fixed. I ordered the Cobra chain replacement and did the repair to find the sprockets were all still in PERFECT condition. Yes, the root cause is the OEM chain is weak and stretches out at around 30-50k miles and more than likely won't hurt your sprockets.... The link I posted above is of JD2004 writing up an excellent step-by-step guide to DIY. I completed the repair a few yrs ago and have put almost 75k miles on our new chain with no more issues whatsoever. I even punch the accelerator quite often. Great pictures are included in the link as well to help anyone who has 8-12 hours to do this work themselves and save a ton of money. Yes, GM really shot themselves in the foot on this one by not doing a much needed recall. I'm certain they lost A LOT of good customers in denying this design flaw. Only serves to confirm how GM upper management are complete idiots... I love cadillacs but this is a real shame!!

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Yup. All cars breakdown it's a fact of life. It's just a rage thing "I'm mad at you so I'll threaten to buy something else next time" let's face it this is a car that is 8 or 9 model years old and newer revisions of this model were updated to fix this issue. Also this was the first year of this platform that needs to be taken into consideration. The srx was completely new with most interior things borrowed from CTS that was new as well just 1 year prior but drivetrain wise completely different than the CTS.

A new platform is expected to have some issues in its first year.
    Oh...well that's okay then, I'm sure they gave a price break on a 1st year car that was going to be rife with problems then, right? Surely they wouldn't charge over 50k for a vehicle with known issues and no recalls yes?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.