DIY transfercase chain replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, DIY transfercase chain replacement in Cadillac SRX Forums; A lot of 04-05 modell V8 equipped SRXs will have to have the chain replaced at some time because the ...
    JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Base 2007 Escalade EXT, 04 Cadillac SRX V8

DIY transfercase chain replacement

A lot of 04-05 modell V8 equipped SRXs will have to have the chain replaced at some time because the chain gets stretched. I have heard that the 06+ models got a stronger chain. However, I just replaced mine on my 04 V8 AWD model and the only cost was the $180 chain, and some silicon seal from an auto supply store. I ordered the borg-warner 4476 transfer-case chain, part# CT-HV-095, from Cobra Transmission i FL. They offered excellent service. Im not a mechanic and it took me about 7 hours in my small garage.
    These are the steps for replacing chain:

1. Raise car and remove exhaustpipes.
    2. Disconnect front axel from transfer-case. torx head bolts.
    3. Remove transfercase and transmission supportplate/assembly where the rear driveshaft is connected to transfercase in the following order: First remove the to bolts (19 (17?)mm) inside the supportplate/assembly. These are little hard to access. Secondly, remove the four 15mm bolts attaching the supportplate to the car.
    4. Disconnect rear driveshaft from transfercase. Torx head bolts.
    5. Disconnect rear transmission gearselector/shifter to gain access to transfercase bolts. The bolt one the shifter linkage that has to be removed is one 10mm(?) bolt where the shifter comes through the floor underneath the car. (left rear side of transfercase housing).
    6. swing the gearselector linkage away and remove all the 15mm bolts attaching transfercase to transmission. Some of these are hard to access, but not impossible.
    7. After all 15mm bolts are removed, pry the transfercase off the transmission. This was pobably the most difficult part of job. Make sure not to ruin the aluminum housing. I used a flat screwdriver.
    8. After the transfercase has come loose, put it on a table, drain it, and remove all torxhead bolts from the side, not vertically.
    9. After they all are removed, CAREFULLY take the two parts of the housing apart. If one part of the housing is removed vertically, all the gears can fall out, and you wont know which order to put them in. So, take it apart horisontally.
    10. Carefully take the chain out.
    11. Install the new oiled chain.
    12. clean and add silicone seal to one part of the housing. Put the other part sideways back together and install and fasten torxbolts.
    13. Grease the shaft coming out of the transmission which goes into transfercase.
    13. Follow step 7-1 to put it all back together. Be carefull when installing the transfercase to transmission.
    14. Fill transfercase with dexron 3 or better ATF untill oil comes out of the fillport.

Take a ride and let the Northstar stretch its legs!
    preforming likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: DIY transfercase chain replacement

Sweet write up.

What was the reason?

I am getting a grone from my 04 V8 and was starting to wonder if it was a diff or T-case.

The reason was a loud noise and some vibrations from transfercase under moderately heavy loads. Only when accelerating and slowly going up a steep hill.

I would guess that a "grone" isn`t the t-case. It is not the t-case chain if it goes silent when you let off the gaspedal. Checked your hubs and bearings?

05v8awd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX V8 AWD

I was just wondering if the sprockets were in good shape still even though the chain was in there jumping around?

05v8awd, good question. I was worried about the sprockets when swapping the chain. Fortunately, the sprockets were in excellent shape. You could not see that the chain had been jumping on the sprockets. The sprockets looked like new with sharp edges. There were no pieces of metal or anything like that in the oil.

davlong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD, 04 SRX V-6, AWD

Good write up. I think mine needs this. Hear a ratcheting sound when I hit the throttle hard. 04 V6 AWD 87,000 miles.

350winder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8

Thumbs up Re: DIY transfercase chain replacement

Thank you very much JD2004 for your how to. Did the job this week-end and WOW no more machine gun sound. Gears were perfect. I've took a pic of the new chain in place and put the old chain over just to show the difference. Thanks again. Need to post 5 times to link to the photo so...

post 2

post 3

post 4

post 5

Here is the pic.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Pic doesn't work (at least for me). I want to see!!!

johns12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8

I would like to see the picture also. It didn't show up.

03zx6r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 srx v8 awd

what a stupid a$$ rule

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.