: rear whine is "normal" ???

FinestKind-CTS-V
08-23-12, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys,

My new 2012 CTS-V sedan is at the dealers's service dept right now.
It took it there because I noticed a distinct "whine" coming from the rear of the vehicle at 40 to 50 MPH while coasting.

The service guy is telling me that it is "normal" as they took out another brand new V and it did the same thing...
He says they checked the rear fluid level and color and everything is as it should be on my car.

I'm not comfortable about living with this whine this based on some of the horror stories I read on this site about CTS-V's rear ends blowing, and the fact that it sounds like crap coming out of a 70,000 car....

What do you guys say?
Is it really "normal", or is this a major problem waiting to happen?

muohio
08-23-12, 10:30 AM
Mine does it and I took it in to look at and was told the same thing. The fluid was clean and filled to the correct level. All of my other LSx powered cars have had transmission whine of some type or another.

Zhariak
08-23-12, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys,

It took it there because I noticed a distinct "whine" coming from the rear of the vehicle at 40 to 50 MPH while coasting.

The service guy is telling me that it is "normal" as they took out another brand new V and it did the same thing...
He says they checked the rear fluid level and color and everything is as it should be on my car.

I'm not comfortable about living with this whine this based on some of the horror stories I read on this site about CTS-V's rear ends blowing, and the fact that it sounds like crap coming out of a 70,000 car....

What do you guys say?

Mine started with a vibration at highway, to a whine... When driving highway, I had to do 130km/h or faster to avoid the vibrations, after sustaining this speed for 2 hours the diff started making grinding sounds at residential (slow) speeds... this is finally when the dealer acknowledged there was a problem...

I'd take it back, cause a fuss, or take it to a different dealer... Or you could try what I did... Drive on a highway that sorrounds your city at 130km/h for 2 hours... Just make sure you don't go too far in case your diff fails...

Look for my "Oscillating bla bla bla" thread, it'll detail my issues if you haven't already seen it.

extrabolts
08-23-12, 10:44 AM
Can you make the noise come in and out by very lightly going on or off the throttle? If so that is definitely classic differential whine. I had my differential replaced a couple of months ago under warranty and no more whine. There is a TSB out on a fluid change - the fluid now had an additive. You should have had that from the factory by now but I'd have them do the fluid change anyway. They can't really deny a fluid change when there is a TSB on that exact problem. If that does not fix it then find another dealer that is willing to replace the rear differential.

RogersV
08-23-12, 10:53 AM
Hi Guys,

What do you guys say?

My 2009 V also had a whine from the day it was new. On a Friday I took it to the dealer to have it checked, they said they didn't hear anything, the following day it went south with 6,928 mi. on the clock. G.M. still doesn't want to admit they have a problem with some of the V's, it might be with the assemble, south of the border.

RippyPartsDept
08-23-12, 10:55 AM
first Gen CTS-Vs were known for having diff issues (blowing up mostly due to the diff housing being aluminum - a weight saving decision that bit the engineers in the butt)

second Gen CTS-Vs have not had any diffs 'blow up' ... at least not like the first gen ... there have been issues with whine and fluid levels but other than that the 2nd Gen diff is very stout

larry arizona
08-23-12, 11:55 AM
Gear whine is somewhat normal (gears are not silent), Vibe is not normal. The 6M cars for sure have a combo whine from the trans and Diff. Drive it till it fails and get a new one.

larry arizona
08-23-12, 11:57 AM
I am guessing most diff failures are one of the 3 outer bearings. That is actually pretty common (not a V specific thing). I have had several diff bearings fail on other vehicles at relatively moderate mileage.

FinestKind-CTS-V
08-23-12, 08:34 PM
Can you make the noise come in and out by very lightly going on or off the throttle? If so that is definitely classic differential whine. ...

Yes, it whines at 40 to 50 mph while coasting. Add some throttle and it goes away, lift off the gas and it comes back.
This is an automatic trans btw.

TXAG2004
08-23-12, 11:40 PM
That's exactly what mine was doing (1500 miles on my Vagon) My new diff arrived today at the dealership. Should be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon.

1997BlackETC
08-23-12, 11:42 PM
Hmmm, that's unusaul, normally it's the other way around that the whine is there when you are on the gas, that's how mine is, the car only has 3300 miles on it now, it's a 2012, just got it 3 months ago. As a matter of a fact I took it to the dealer yesterday because the whining sound was getting worse, use to only notice it at 80mph and then I was really noticing it at 40 mph. Anyhow, they changed the oil with synthetic gear lube and put a small bottle of additive. The noise is still there, but I've only driven 30 miles or so with the new oil, I'm hoping it will go away with the new oil and additive, I've heard of others who have done a oil change and it did go away. I did notice on the drain plug there was a lot of sludge on it and the mechanic wiped it off, I'd definately suggest you have them change the oil in the diff though, my dealer covered the oil change under warrantee.

FinestKind-CTS-V
08-24-12, 12:59 PM
That's exactly what mine was doing (1500 miles on my Vagon) My new diff arrived today at the dealership. Should be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon.

How did you get them to replace the unit?
Is there a TSB?

FinestKind-CTS-V
08-24-12, 01:01 PM
My 2009 V also had a whine from the day it was new. On a Friday I took it to the dealer to have it checked, they said they didn't hear anything, the following day it went south with 6,928 mi. on the clock. G.M. still doesn't want to admit they have a problem with some of the V's, it might be with the assemble, south of the border.

This is exactly what I'm worried about....getting stuck somewhere with my brand new $70 grand luxury hot rod!

TXAG2004
08-24-12, 03:57 PM
Finest- I had several minor issues since delivery and I've gotten to know a couple of the mechanics by sitting out in the shop with them. This go around I had wheel click, diff whine, and low power mode. I just told them it was whining pretty bad he test drove it 1.5 miles and deemed it bad enough to replace, along with the rotors. Seems it may be hit or miss depending on the dealership as I've read of several others with the same symptoms that have had trouble getting theirs replaced.

Zhariak
08-26-12, 10:49 AM
How did you get them to replace the unit?
Is there a TSB?

No TSB....

You just have to get them to recognize there is an issue (first time I don't think they even took me seriously, second time they heard the sounds)...

In my case it was the bearings. Their exact response was (unfortunately they don't make replacement parts or parts to repair that type of issue since this is such a rare car, all we can do is just order you an entire new differential that's pre manufactored and swap it in.

So now it's been 6 days, and ~8 more until it get's in from the U.S. and then finally installed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-27-12, 07:53 PM
Finest, please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to create an official service request (case) for you and follow-up with your dealer to work towards a resolution for you. I see you've already been receiving some helpful feedback form owners, which is great, and I hope you'll keep us posted regarding your next interaction with the dealer.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

FinestKind-CTS-V
08-28-12, 09:36 AM
Update 8/27/12:

Upon my insistng that this loud whine cannot be "normal" on a $70,000 car, and MENTIONING THE HORROR STORIES DOCUMENTED ON THIS SITE and that I refuse to live with it in a brand new car, the service manager took it for a ride himself and just called to tell me that he hears the "gear whine" and agrees it is not normal.
He is ordering a new differential and will install it under warantee.

Thank you for all the feedback and help guys, and thank you Katie for your kind offer to get involved. :)

Zhariak
08-28-12, 10:08 AM
Update 8/27/12:

Upon my insistng that this loud whine cannot be "normal" on a $70,000 car, and MENTIONING THE HORROR STORIES DOCUMENTED ON THIS SITE and that I refuse to live with it in a brand new car, the service manager took it for a ride himself and just called to tell me that he hears the "gear whine" and agrees it is not normal.

Thank you for all the feedback and help guys, and thank you Katie for your kind offer to get involved. :)

Glad to hear you got yours taken care of! Hopefully you don't have to wait as long as I am for the new diff to show up!

SPEED74V
08-28-12, 03:17 PM
I replaced mine at 8k miles, after trying some fluid changes. The whine came back a little while later and it is still there now with 22k miles. I had the fluid changed again and wanted to have the rear end changed again but the dealership said they wouldn't replace it again. This shouldn't happen in the first place and it is annoying at different speeds.

1997BlackETC
08-29-12, 10:03 AM
Chances are mine will have to be replaced eventually along with the new piece rotors as the wheels are begining to click with 3400 miles. I knew I shoulda got the benz.

thebigjimsho
08-29-12, 12:26 PM
Yeah, you should've...

RJR88
08-29-12, 02:52 PM
Chances are mine will have to be replaced eventually along with the new piece rotors as the wheels are begining to click with 3400 miles. I knew I shoulda got the benz.
I have been jumping back and forth from this forum to the Benz forum. I currently own a Benz SL550 and I have been going back and forth with the V and the C63. If you go on the Benz forum there is tons of bitching on there also about problems. For me it comes down to service. My Benz dealer is awesome and that is the only thing holding me back from buying the V. I am afraid that my local Caddy dealer will not give the superior service that my Benz dealer does. I am still leaning towards the V. I am hoping to test drive one this weekend.

SPEED74V
08-29-12, 05:10 PM
I have been jumping back and forth from this forum to the Benz forum. I currently own a Benz SL550 and I have been going back and forth with the V and the C63. If you go on the Benz forum there is tons of bitching on there also about problems. For me it comes down to service. My Benz dealer is awesome and that is the only thing holding me back from buying the V. I am afraid that my local Caddy dealer will not give the superior service that my Benz dealer does. I am still leaning towards the V. I am hoping to test drive one this weekend.

Even though my rear diff still has a whine - I still would not get rid of my V. It is the best car I have ever owned and I have had no other problems with it. It was fast stock and even better with mods. I have been in the habit of getting rid of cars every couple years but this will be a keeper for a while. My caddy dealer has been pretty good.

thebigjimsho
08-29-12, 06:51 PM

Where are you? Get some feedback of your close dealers here...

RJR88
08-30-12, 07:56 AM
Where are you? Get some feedback of your close dealers here...
I am in SE PA. About an hour north of Philly.

TheDarkKnight
08-30-12, 10:53 AM
I am in SE PA. About an hour north of Philly.

What dealer are you going to, I'm picking up at Armen in Plymouth meeting tomorrow?

RJR88
08-30-12, 11:02 AM
What dealer are you going to, I'm picking up at Armen in Plymouth meeting tomorrow?
I have a sales person at Fred Beans in Doylestown working on some numbers right now. They are only about 10 minutes from me. I would like to keep it local if I can. Beans does not have any on the lot so he is trying to track one down for me. I am leaning towards a 2013 unless they find a 2012 for a smoking deal.

RJR88
08-30-12, 11:02 AM
I have a sales person at Fred Beans in Doylestown working on some numbers right now. They are only about 10 minutes from me. I would like to keep it local if I can. Beans does not have any on the lot so he is trying to track one down for me. I am leaning towards a 2013 unless they find a 2012 for a smoking deal.

Z71
08-31-12, 10:45 AM
Update 8/27/12:

My Non-V 09 CTS4 is whinning and Cadillac won't replace it. Started around 20,000 miles and now has 26,000 miles They told my sm with me sitting right next to him that replacing it will not solve the problem. They have put new ones in and the made the same noise right out of the gate. They have done everything and can't find what the answer is. Don tried for over 30 min with the Cadillac Service zone rep and they would not give any an authorization for any repairs. He even told them the customer is sitting right here and it very dedicated Cadi customer and he cannot live with this. Sorry, nothing we can do as our policy at this time is thats "its normal". The SM knows I am a good customer (2 cadi & 3 GMC in 10 yrs) and he was trying everything but could not get them to budge. Said without thier authorization he cannot ever order one (restricted part). Its typcial GM, make one customer happy but po 50 others.

A business customer is a Ford salesman and he keeps telling me he will take both the CTS4 and the transmission problem plaqued 2012 Sierra Denali off my hands if I buy a 2013 Ford SDF250 4x4 CC diesel. Its tempting.

teacherj
10-11-12, 03:14 PM
My 2012 is on diff #3, less than 11K mi on car. Dealers don't care, just swap it out.

aroptical
10-11-12, 03:45 PM
Mine was the rear Diff. The dealer replaced and is as quiet as new. The noise I had was all the time and was not a whining noise more of a road
noise it was just loud in the car. I Don't know if that helps.

dennych
12-03-12, 01:39 PM
Hmmmm,

I'm starting to hear the rear diff whine too. It happens at lower gears right?

Xaqtly
12-03-12, 02:11 PM
Mine happens at a specific speed regardless of which gear I'm in. It's between 45-60 MPH. It becomes loud under throttle, and goes away when coasting. The whine changes pitch dependent on road speed, as opposed to RPM or gearing. All signs point to diff making the noise, last time I asked them to check it they said they didn't hear anything and gave it back to me. Now I'm experimenting to see under which conditions it's the loudest, so I can recreate it for them.

RogersV
12-03-12, 02:29 PM
From post #5.............
My 2009 V also had a whine from the day it was new. On a Friday I took it to the dealer to have it checked, they said they didn't hear anything, the following day it went south with 6,928 mi. on the clock. G.M. still doesn't want to admit they have a problem with some of the V's, it might be with the assemble, south of the border. It got replaced

tedcmiller
12-03-12, 04:00 PM
As mentioned by Chris Heath the V1 had issues with the differential (I had a 2004 and a 2005 CTS-V). I had the rear end whine on the 2004 (not on the 2005). I currently have a 2009 and a 2013 CTS-V and have had no problems with the differential on either.

quikag
12-03-12, 04:49 PM
I had a rear-end diff type metallic noise, not so much a whine. After 2 disaster service visits with a local dealership where they drove my car 55 miles, changed the radio station to a rap station, I took the foreman for a ride to show him the noise and they still drove it 37 miles (included in the 55 total miles), I took it to another local dealer. I dropped it off in the morning with squeaking/groaning front brakes and the rear-end noise. I picked it up 8 hours later with a brand new differential, new front 2-piece rotors and new front brake pads. They put 7 miles on the car to identify the sound.

Suffice to say I am NEVER going back to that other dealer and will be going to this new dealer forever. Anyone in DFW, I HIGHLY recommend Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine. Talk to Bill Wilmut.

Trapspeed
12-03-12, 04:54 PM
Well we will find out real quick what they decide to do with mine. It's in now. Stay tuned.