Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
What are you guys that are tuned running stock turbo getting for boost?

E85 50/50 with 93 and I'm still stuck at 20lbs on the big wheel. Looking at HPT logs, I might have pulled 22lbs at one point for a split sec.

Granted, I can probably tune more boost. Not sure how close to KR I am right now. 20psi might be a bit conservative.

Temps have been a bit high around here to though. I'll see what I pull at a nice 70F ambient.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What are you guys that are tuned running stock turbo getting for boost?

E85 50/50 with 93 and I'm still stuck at 20lbs on the big wheel. Looking at HPT logs, I might have pulled 22lbs at one point for a split sec.

Granted, I can probably tune more boost. Not sure how close to KR I am right now. 20psi might be a bit conservative.

Temps have been a bit high around here to though. I'll see what I pull at a nice 70F ambient.
It's all relative but this was in South Florida summer heat(older stock turbo log)....The car will actually make less boost but more power when the weather is nice. The real difference can be seen by observing the amount of actual air coming in(MAF lb/min).

This is pretty much maxing the stock turbo without blowing your shit up. I see a little bit of KR every now and then, but rarely anything enough to trigger the low octane table.

Ideal temperature is 195 for both the engine and trans. After replacing the stock radiator with an all aluminum one, the car will sit at that temperature perfectly unless pushed super hard. I have gauges inside the car to watch my temps, I can confirm that the car will make more consistent power in that range. The upgraded radiator also cools down to ideal range much better then the stock. You can pump up the fan % a bit as well which will help with cooling.

Post some logs and maybe I can help you out a bit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
437 peak TQ on stock turbo? I'm feeling ripped off now! Lol

That's my top peak as well at 85-88F at sea level on e47.

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 ATS4 - ZZP Intake Tube, ZZP DP, Renick Exhaust, Throttle Body upgrade, ZZP FMIC, ZZP Tune
124 Posts
Can someone tell me how to add those parameters to my chart vs time in HPT?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Alrighty, got some log pics to post....

2017 4door AWD
Mods:
-ZZP Big Wheel Turbo
-K&N AF in stock airbox
-ZZP silicon intake tube
-ZZP oil catch can
-ZZP FMIC
-ZZP larger TB
-ZZP E85 sensor
-ECM/TCM tuned while at ZZP(Tim and I logged it then Matt revised it a few times)
-NGK plugs....I have the Densos laying around which are hair cooler than the NGKs
-ZZP catted DP
-Some random stuff that won't effect power output...like a strut tower brace.

Got 50/50 E85 with 93 and straight E85(less than 1.5gal of 93 in the tank with 8gal of straight E85 on top of it).

First up is 50/50 E47. If we go off of peak TQ, then:
6348RPM X 407TQ /5252 =491.93HP utilizing 19.9psi of boost at ambient air temp of 88F.

All posted images to follow are Sport mode, traction control off, stabilitrak off, a/c off.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Next we have "straight" E85. Looks like alcohol content is sitting around 65% where as it was around 41% with E47(50/50 93/E85). Maybe I'll try to score some better E85....What are you guys getting for alcohol content in straight E85?

Numbers are pretty much the same. This time ambient temps are 11F cooler than the 50/50 logs above, also on straight E85, and the power seems the same. I literally notice no difference at all between 50/50 and straight E85. I'm going to have to log straight 93 again, because I seriously don't think I gained anything going to any added amount of ethanol...Extremely disappointing.

Going off of peak tq:
6350RPM X 407TQ =492HP utilizing 20.3psi of boost at ambient temp of 77F.

Numbers are nothing to balk at, but I don't feel or see the E85 difference. Am I missing something?

Zero KR, regardless, which is great.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 ATS4 - ZZP Intake Tube, ZZP DP, Renick Exhaust, Throttle Body upgrade, ZZP FMIC, ZZP Tune
124 Posts
Not sure I understand what you are asking. I can maybe help or send you my channel config. file if you like what mine shows.
If you don't mind, that would work. If you compare your pics with scottyl's, his chart shows the numbers on the right hand side by the graph. I see yours on the left hand side. Either is fine, his just stands out a little more due to the numbers being bigger.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you don't mind, that would work. If you compare your pics with scottyl's, his chart shows the numbers on the right hand side by the graph. I see yours on the left hand side. Either is fine, his just stands out a little more due to the numbers being bigger.
OK, forum doesn't like the file's extension. I tried tricking the site by throwing it in a .zip file but this site won't let me upload a .zip either...

So, it's attached but you need to change the extension from .pdf to .xml for it to work...had to trick the site to thinking it was a .pdf.

Drop the file into a folder, while in folder go to "View", click "File Name Extensions". After that, go to the file, click once, click again so you can edit the name, go to end of file name and change "PDF" to "XML". You should be able to use the file then....Open "VCM Scanner", click "Recent Channel Configs", then "Open Channel Config", navigate to the XML file and open it.

Hope that gets you what you want/need.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I'll do this as soon as I get home. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks again, I have the channel configuration setup. I'll post a little later tonight when it's cooler. Triple digits right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can adjust the limit and reference lines to get the numbers of the right hand side of the graph.

Next we have "straight" E85. Looks like alcohol content is sitting around 65% where as it was around 41% with E47(50/50 93/E85). Maybe I'll try to score some better E85....What are you guys getting for alcohol content in straight E85?

Numbers are pretty much the same. This time ambient temps are 11F cooler than the 50/50 logs above, also on straight E85, and the power seems the same. I literally notice no difference at all between 50/50 and straight E85. I'm going to have to log straight 93 again, because I seriously don't think I gained anything going to any added amount of ethanol...Extremely disappointing.

Going off of peak tq:
6350RPM X 407TQ =492HP utilizing 20.3psi of boost at ambient temp of 77F.

Numbers are nothing to balk at, but I don't feel or see the E85 difference. Am I missing something?

Zero KR, regardless, which is great.
The power is the same because your not adding more advance when on adding additional ethanol. Compare your alcohol to ethanol % and that should give you a good indicator of the "quality" as well as how much you need to mix in order to get the right amount. I normally do like 7.5 gals of ethanol and then fill the rest with 93 which is anywhere from 47-50%. 93 is normally 10% and the e85 here is almost always real 85% ethanol. Looks like your area the ethanol is blended more. IMO after about 50% ethanol you start to see diminishing returns, especially on a stock fuel system. Adding additional ethanol also equals additional water and abrasion to oiled surfaces(increases maintenance intervals). I upped the lpfp pump and see about 50-55 psi on the fuel pressure in WOT and max 13 degrees timing on a 50 degree mixture. This seems to be the sweet spot for these cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow 491 Horse? Is this calculated by HP Tuners? Is that at the motor or RWH? I have essentially the same mods without FMIC, TB, and silicone tube, which none really add much if anything on actual power numbners. Are you gaining this much from the Big Wheel by itself? My car with my mod list should be somewhere around 280-300 at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow 491 Horse? Is this calculated by HP Tuners? Is that at the motor or RWH? I have essentially the same mods without FMIC, TB, and silicone tube, which none really add much if anything on actual power numbners. Are you gaining this much from the Big Wheel by itself? My car with my mod list should be somewhere around 280-300 at the rear wheels.
It's my absolute peak power output at the crank. So is not what I generate on average, but what I generate at the top of my rpm limit.

Honestly don't think I gain anything from the big wheel or the E85. The big wheel is only giving me ~20psi of boost whereas it should be able to kick out 25+psi and the E85 "tune" doesn't seem to have any timing advance when more then 10% alcohol is introduced.

I mean, the big wheel winds up faster, but it's not giving me anything that the stock couldn't do. The E85 is ensuring no me, but isn't being utilized for more power output.

I'm going to have to talk to ZZP. They told me I'd get about a 10-20% power increase from E85 and I see nothing. Maybe they are worried since I'm not running forged internals yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry this took so long, it's consistently been 3 digit weather here. These are the results I've come up with on stock turbo, FBO, e85/93 mix (at 60% ethanol). I had to do these pulls extremely early in the morning in order to get a decent reading with ambient air in the mid to lower 80's.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry this took so long, it's consistently been 3 digit weather here. These are the results I've come up with on stock turbo, FBO, e85/93 mix (at 60% ethanol). I had to do these pulls extremely early in the morning in order to get a decent reading with ambient air in the mid to lower 80's.
The graphs are a little more difficult for me to read because they seemed zoomed in. But other than that...it looks like your right around where you should be with your mods. Looks pretty conservative so I assume your not getting much of any KR. What plugs are you using?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The graphs are a little more difficult for me to read because they seemed zoomed in. But other than that...it looks like your right around where you should be with your mods. Looks pretty conservative so I assume your not getting much of any KR. What plugs are you using?
Maybe a KR of 1 every blue moon. I'm currently running the Denso ITV24'S. It is a pretty conservative tune, but it does what I need it to. I was originally going to make it my daily, but decided to just make it my toy on the weekends.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe a KR of 1 every blue moon. I'm currently running the Denso ITV24'S. It is a pretty conservative tune, but it does what I need it to. I was originally going to make it my daily, but decided to just make it my toy on the weekends.
Sounds about right...The car is plenty fast with those mods. My car is slowly turning into a weekend warrior. Plan is to start building it for autox and maybe some time attack.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds about right...The car is plenty fast with those mods. My car is slowly turning into a weekend warrior. Plan is to start building it for autox and maybe some time attack.
Same here, I'm thinking upgrade to the 6758 turbo, cams, and valve springs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same here, I'm thinking upgrade to the 6758 turbo, cams, and valve springs.
You could also go with a turbobay unit which is basically 7252 in size, you won't get as much top end rpm as the 6758 but the response will be quicker than stock. You will also need to address the in-tank pump if you want to start using ethanol above 380whp. Upgrading to a ZL1 in-tank or custom style ZL1 can quickly address fuel issues after upgrading the turbo. I think the stock mechanical fuel system is totally fine and doesn't need an overdrive cam. $1200 for a set of cams...new ones are less than $100 and could be custom machined at a shop of your choosing for much less.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts