Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My conquest began at about 10 am this morning. The sun was shining bright, winds out of the northeast at 15mph, birds chirping, and 55 degrees F. I readied the dawn and water mix, cracked open a new sponge, and away I went.

After twenty minutes or so of washing my car with dish detergent, I dried the surface and brought out the clay bar. It took a little getting used to, but after a couple square feet, I was able to find the perfect lubrication-to-clay ratio. I was excited that it removed the rust colored specs from the surface fairly easily. However, I was not excited about the four hours that it took me to rub out the entire car not to mention my arm almost falling off (and I'm no wimp either).

After the clay bar workout, I rewashed the car with the dawn mixture and set out to remove swirl marks with Z5/ZFX. I squirted a dab of the milky polish onto the applicator that came with my order. I tackled the hood, which is by far the worst section of my car. I was worried that I didn't put enough on because you could barely see the coat it left...probably because my car is white. I let it haze and dry for about 40 minutes and I buffed it out using some Fieldcrest cotton bath towels I picked up at Linens'n'Things. Swirl marks: still heavy.

I did the Z6 gloss spray as the website recommends before applying the second coat of Z5. Second coat dries, buff, Z6 ...still swirls. Third coats dries, buff, Z6 ...swirlmarkmania.

I said the hell with it and moved on to Z2/ZFX for all sections but the hood and roof which need desperate swirl mark attention. 2 coats later, the sun set, so I couldn't really grasp how shiny my car became, but I know it is improved...smooth to the touch.

I am excited to apply some more Zaino tomorrow. Maybe like 3 coats a night for two weeks? ;)

I think my car has been through 10 years torture with limited protection from the elements. Those swirl marks need professional attention. I'm going to apply a few more coats of Z5 on the hood and roof and see what happens. So far, I am unimpressed yet pleased.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
I am very fussy about waxing, etc. and I've read that no one should use dish detergent on their cars because of all the chemicals in it. I use warm water to wash, or hot before a wax because hot strips wax anyway. I'm not sure I would leave wax on for 40 min. unless the product said to because a lot of dust anf foreign particles will stick and accumulate and can scratch while buffing. To remove swirl marks I've had good results with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, but these have just been my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
The only reason that you should not use dishwashing liquid on your car is that it will strip off 99% of all the waxes sold (Dawn will not strip Zaino), Zaino tells you to use Dawn dishwashing liquid because it is the quickest and safest way to remove waxes and silicone oils from your car, you can do the same with a paint cleaner but they all contain abrasives of one type or another, there are other products like 3M Adhesive Remover that can be used, but then you would be buying a product that you would use once or twice in your cars life time. Chuck, first how did you spend that much time on your car? From washing, drying, claying, washing and applying 3 coats of Zaino on my Escalade it was about 5 hours. Z-5 should make a difference in your swirls after 3-5 coats (if your swirls are bad) and if after that many coats you still have swirls then your swirls were too deep for filling or covering, and you will need a product like 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover, this is best applied using a buffer, if you have not done this before then have a good detail or body shop do this for you, then reapply your Zaino. :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
HVCIND--- I nominate you for detailing moderator :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's the run down HC:

10-10:15am: prepare hose, bucket, power washer, and lube for clay

10:15-10:45am: wash and dry

10:45-3:50pm: clay bar and lunch

3:50-4:00pm: mix Z5 and consult with Internet

4:00-4:30pm: apply Z5 with #314 pad

4:30-5:20pm: remove Z5 with Fieldcrest cotton towel, Z6 spray

5:20-6:15pm: more Z5, removal Z6 spray, clean exhaust tips, spray tires

6:15-7:00pm: Z5 on roof and hood, Z2 on rest of car, removal, Z6 spray

7:00-7:45pm: dinner and shower

7:45-8:00pm: Z5 on roof and hood, Z2 on rest of car

8:00-8:45pm: Sopranos

8:45-10pm: removal, window cleaning, clean up

What type of car wash formula can I use for my car since I didn't buy the Z7?

Also, what removes Zaino since dawn alone can't do it?

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Ralph said:
What about "chemical paint spotting?" I read some dish det's can cause this, so personally I wouldn't take a risk on it. But I don't mind, it's not my car.
That is why we advise using regular blue Dawn, we know what is in that product, and the only real difference between car wash and Dawn it that Dawn has an alkaline of around 9, most car washes are 6-6.5. :)

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Chuck, the Clay Bar and Lunch from 10:45 - 3:50 caught my interest, did you go out of state for lunch? :D Also you can not include the Sopranos as Zaino time. :D :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
Chuck,
If those swirl marks don't come out, the only way to get rid of them will be a high speed power polisher with a foam pad and some Meguair's Heavy Cut Cleaner. That stuff will get rid of your swirls in no time flat. And you can't get the Heavy cut at Walmart or anything like that. You will have to go to a Meguair's retailer.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bs4sho...i have to make my car last another year or two (until I graduate and get set up with a job). Right now @ 85k mi, I'd probably sell it for between $6,000 and $9,000. But it's hard to put a price on a car that has as much sentimental value as a blankey.

while we're on the topic, I have more plans for my car. I'd like to sand, buff, and rust-proof my mufflers. I also plan to clean the engine very meticulously. Then it's off to the body shop...swirlmark elimination, scratch elimination, rust and bubbling (small patch on door, trunk corners, door corner, sunroof) elimination, dent elimination (about 6 tiny ones, one medium on door), and tiny chips in paint elimination (about 10 I can think of). Then it's off to the dealer for struts, shocks, links, and throttle body cleaning....All this stuff done before 2004. Hopefully my car will be restored to like new. I'm excited.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Chuck, I think you would be better off doing the struts (no shocks), links, and TB cleaning at a private place..... Much cheaper, and same quality....

You can get <at a GM dealer> a can of stuff called TOP ENGINE CLEANER, its an aerosol, and it will clean out all the gunk..... If you are really meticulous, you could take off the TB (it cant be too hard to remove, i wouldnt know ;) , but my TB only has 4 allens holding it on, and a couple vacuum hoses), and hand clean it..... I would also recommend cleaning the area behind the TB, commonly referred to as the PLENUM.... If you care to know more, PM me or email me....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Good deal!! I would still recommend doing some of the stuff yourself, its more fun and you know you did it right :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Your car has struts..... Car either has struts or shocks, at least as far as i know! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
6 Participants
Ralph