Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just have a really easy question for you all. My girlfriend drives our escalade everywhere. She is a vendor for a local retail chain (meijer) and has to constantly drive from one store to another. Not only does it put a lot of miles on the car which sucks, but there is literally thousands of dead bug carcases all over the front of the car. I don't want to take a power blaster to it and risk damaging the paint, but if we don't get those bugs off soon it could lead to problems, so my question is, what is the best way to deal with this situation. I was thinking maybe some hot water and dish soap since it has a great cutting agent. I am hoping that maybe that will work along side a very gentle scrub pad. I just want to get the bugs off long enough to take it and get it cleaned so that we can put some kind of coating on the car which will help get the bugs off easyer the next time.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Wash car good with car wash, there are bug and tar removers that work good, if that does not work clay will. If you keep your truck "waxed" the bugs will come off easier.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I agree with putting several coats of wax on, and using the bug and tar remover. If you have any WD 40 handy that can also help to loosen the bugs.

·
Registered
2006 CTS & 2003 Escalade
89 Posts
I have the same problem with my wife liking to take my Escalade on road trips. I have found that if you spray the bugged up areas with water and let it sit, re-wetting it every few minutes for 10 minutes or so, a soft brush or cloth will remove most of the bug-guts. Keeping it waxed is a good idea to protect the paint, but I think the bug guts stick to the wax too.

You know what the last thing is to go through a bug's mind is when your girlfriend plasters him on your Escalade?

His a__hole! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
blingblingcv said:
I have used the bug remover by turtle wax and it did a pretty good job.
+1. I have also used liquid Turtle Wax to remove a light coat of bugs...not heavy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I went out and bought a bug and tar remover and it did a pretty decent job. I used about 9/10 if the bottle on the front and it got about 60% of the bugs off. I didn't expect much more. I will have to give it another shot next weekend when I get the time. These bugs have been smashed and caked on in the sun so they are ON THERE. I used the rest of the can on the side mirrors with the same result. I also noticed that the bug juices are starting to eat through the clear coat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts