Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Escalade Lux
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What product (and why?) does everyone prefer to use to clean the leather interior in their vehicle ? Does anyone use a very mild simple soap with water ? Furthermore, how do I determine which parts are real leather versus leatherette ? (19' Esc PremLux)?

Hope everyone has a safe day. Grateful for all the knowledge of the board! :)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,458 Posts
Does anyone use a very mild simple soap with water ?
We had a former member that swore by Ivory soap shavings (1/4 bar or so) dissolved in water worked great. I don't see why that would not work as well as anything else.

Keep in mind that even the leather parts have a clear vinyl coating on them so don't be too concerned about "conditioning treatments". They won't soak in anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,717 Posts
I use soap shavings. Very concentrated. I have light grey Recaros in my cts and all small cracks and colour change are not seen for months after such treatment. Dashboard and door sides get the same. Gives a clean matte shade.

The microfibre on steering, seats and shifting knob gets textile cleaner from a spray can. Same in the foot wells.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,562 Posts
Yup ^ ^ ^

I've used Fiebing's or Stombock saddle soap on all sorts of leather for over 55 years. Never a problem.

Vehicle seats, leather belts, leather purses belonging to various wives/acquaintances, pistol holsters, whatever. Oh, yeah- one hell of a lot of horse saddles.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,478 Posts
Adam's Leather and Interior cleaner, diluted 50% with distilled water. Works very well, not harsh, and has an actually pleasant fragrance.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury 2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
2,873 Posts
I've used Zaino Bros. products (bought online) and Lexol...both work well enough but are more gentle...

For a very dirty Mustang I picked up some years back (and have since moved on) I used ArmorAll interior cleaner (much heavier duty cleaner than listed above) followed up with either the Zaino leather conditioner or Lexol leather conditioner...no shininess and left the leather looking and smelling great

Bill

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,233 Posts
I've used Autoglym leather cleaner on my SRX and I like it. I've not used it yet on my semi-aniline XT5 though.

They also make a great plastic cleaner for the mat-black exterior trims. "Bumper and Tire Gel." Great for restoring the blackness.

Cdn-Tire sells them.

Max

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,265 Posts
I've used Zaino Bros. products (bought online) and Lexol...both work well enough but are more gentle...

For a very dirty Mustang I picked up some years back (and have since moved on) I used ArmorAll interior cleaner (much heavier duty cleaner than listed above) followed up with either the Zaino leather conditioner or Lexol leather conditioner...no shininess and left the leather looking and smelling great
Bill
I use Zaino as well. Does a good job of cleaning and the finish coat actually smells like leather (in fact, they call it "Leather in a bottle". After I apply it I follow up with a micro fiber cloth to remove any excess. Leaves a nice matte finish.

·
Registered
2019 Escalade Lux
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to try the soap shavings on the trim and Zaino on the leather. Canadian Tire for products seems to be our best universal option for us Canucks ? Walmart seems no selection in store and Costco is very hit and miss .

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,642 Posts
What product (and why?) does everyone prefer to use to clean the leather interior in their vehicle ? Does anyone use a very mild simple soap with water ? Furthermore, how do I determine which parts are real leather versus leatherette ? (19' Esc PremLux)?

Hope everyone has a safe day. Grateful for all the knowledge of the board! :)
It won't matter if it's leather or leatherette when it comes to cleaning - as long as a dedicated leather cleaner is used which can be used for both. BUT never use vinyl cleaner on leather. I use Meguiars products and have never been disappointed in them. Interior detailer (can even clean leather - I use it to get the shiny appearance gone - which is due to dirt and friction, it restores the satin finish on the leather that came with the car) - it can be used for all interior surfaces, and I use gold class leather cleaner and conditioner for leather (great fragrance) - follow directions to get a more shiny or a satin finish.

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
225 Posts
Well the REAL question resides as to if you prefer to slide right of out the seat or have a little grip? Lol. You want to slide around lol you know what to use. My procedure is this: I use the three step cleaner first Lexol, Griots. Don’t cheap out you get what you pay for. Then get all 3 in one. Do the three step first get the leather plump and nice and clean. Then use the 3 in one when you do a through cleaning of the inside. Do the 3 step 6months to a year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts