Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what sort of MPG everybody is getting with their RWD sled. I know the later years with the small block engines got pretty damn good mileage for a big car. The big block Cadillac motors guzzled the gas, but how bad?

Post up your MPG you get in daily driving and your best highway MPG. Tell us what year/engine/gear ratio you have.

In my 1991 Brougham D'Elegance with the 350 TBI, tow package, 3.08 rear end, I average 18mpg. Granted 50% of my driving is doing 60-70mph on the interstate, but that's pretty damn good in my book. Best MPG was on a road trip doing 85mph. 23.5mpg with just me in the car, I know it would've done better if I had slowed down, but I made that trip from downtown Chicago to Nashville via I-57 in 7 hours.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
32 Posts
Don't know if I'd consider it big-block, but the LT1 in my 95 Fleetwood gets pretty decent mileage. I got almost 400 miles out of my first tank of gas, so I'd speculate it was fairly close to 17, and all I drive is city. Not to mention I drive like a crazy person (novelty of the V8 still hasn't worn off - take advantage of that every day).

EDIT

Forgot to mention, I've got the Brougham, so it's running on a 2.93:1 axle ratio.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood
1 Posts
My 93 Fleetwoood Brougham averages 17 in town and 23 on the interstate. The best I have gotten was east of St. Louis to Louisville running 72 mph. That tank got 26 mpg!

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hi Aron, 1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance with stock 7.0 Liter/425 c.i. V8 4BBL. It's my daily driver, always averages 11 MPG city and 14 MPG highway. Highest gas mileage I saw a couple of different times was 15 while on trips. Car had 61k miles when I purchased it 4 1/2 years ago and now has 85k miles. I like my Cadillac because of its safety, speed, silence, smoothness and style, reliability, longevity and comfort. Despite owning a 2007 Honda Civic EX/Navi, I stopped driving this car two months ago and put it up for sale then started driving my Cadillac every day as my protest to the insanity of our politician's inability or unwillingness to drill for the abundant oil in our own country which would enable everyone the freedom to drive whatever they want. On the road, my Cadillac makes an impressive introduction of me to the nerdy Prius drivers putting along with their "think green" bumper stickers looking down their noses pretending like they are better than than everyone else. 11 MPG is a small price to pay to be an individual. The green nazis would love to send all of our fabulous big cars to the crusher - make no doubt about it. When the going gets tough the tough get going! Drill here drill now! There is no better symbol of prestige than our great American road cars! Get out and DRIVE 'EM!!! :) Dave

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
When I went to Kansas a month ago the Brougham averaged about 20 on the highway at 65-70 with the A/C on and my family plus their luggage in the car. I have taken trips out to my Grandparent's farm with no A/C and the cruise set at 67 and gotten 23, but that's the highest. In the city I get like 13-14mpg and I drive it easy. It was designed to be a highway cruiser, not a city driver.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
93 with L05 350 and 3.73 gears. 15 mpg around town, hit 25 mpg one winter on a trip. Much better than our SUV.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
32 Posts
93 with L05 350 and 3.73 gears. 15 mpg around town, hit 25 mpg one winter on a trip. Much better than our SUV.

Funny thing about that. My mom has always been a strong proponent of large, luxury sedans (she owned three different Grand Marquis in the past 15 years or so), and on other hand my aunt and uncle have made horrible choices when buying cars. Their latest blunder was a Chrysler Pacifica (like a van but with no room) because they had a baby and wanted something van like. Bleeding thing gets AWFUL gas mileage. The EPA estimate itself is lower than that of what the Grand Marquis gets in reality. Not to mention that the Pacifica is horrible to drive and sit in. The other week, she borrowed it to take their kid to Brenham (about 100 miles round trip), and the tank only had about 1/4 tank left. Less than 15MPG. Wow.

They really don't make cars like they used to, nor do people buy cars like they used to. A Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car, or even a Fleetwood is cheaper to operate, safer, more comfortable, easier to drive, cheaper to buy, have more practical space useage, and generally perform better than SUVs.

I wonder when this SUV craze is going to end :\

</rant>

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
1989 Brougham d'Elegance with an LV2 and a final drive ratio of 2.93:1, gets an annual fuel mileage of 16 mph (which includes 5-15 minutes of warm up at every cold start).

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Don't know if I'd consider it big-block, but the LT1 in my 95 Fleetwood gets pretty decent mileage. I got almost 400 miles out of my first tank of gas, so I'd speculate it was fairly close to 17, and all I drive is city. Not to mention I drive like a crazy person (novelty of the V8 still hasn't worn off - take advantage of that every day).

EDIT

Forgot to mention, I've got the Brougham, so it's running on a 2.93:1 axle ratio.
No, that's a small block, for the record.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
They really don't make cars like they used to, nor do people buy cars like they used to. A Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car, or even a Fleetwood is cheaper to operate, safer, more comfortable, easier to drive, cheaper to buy, have more practical space useage, and generally perform better than SUVs.

I wonder when this SUV craze is going to end :

</rant>
Cash for Clunkers isn't going to do anything to it. Due to the higher resale value of SUVs I bet most of the cars that are going to get scrapped are these big sedans that are worth less than $4500. SUV owners are better off trading it in or selling it the normal way.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cash for Clunkers isn't going to do anything to it. Due to the higher resale value of SUVs I bet most of the cars that are going to get scrapped are these big sedans that are worth less than $4500. SUV owners are better off trading it in or selling it the normal way.
There will be a ton of 1990's Blazers, Tahoes, Suburbans, Explorers, Grand Cherokees, etc that will be scrapped under this program.

Although most people who are driving around in a car worth 4k tops aren't going to have the money to buy a new $20-30k car.

·
Registered
1988 Fleetwood Brougham
72 Posts
I just want to add that, like BRO-HAM, I love pulling up next to a Prius, Civic or any other pregnant roller skate in the Caddy. I dont care how much gas costs, Im driving cars that I like to drive. I have a Silverado that gets about 16 MPG also. I love it. Someone at work said that the Brougham has to be the "most impractical car in the world." Maybe he's right, but thats exactly the reason I like it. I drive a lot (40-50K a year) and I want to do it safely, and comfortably. I also will not fill up at a Citgo station, as I don't particularly care for communist dictators.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Although most people who are driving around in a car worth 4k tops aren't going to have the money to buy a new $20-30k car.
I will differ on this. My entire family gets full use out of their cars before buying something else. My dad's van, which was bought new in 1994, has 200k miles and is still in use today. We have the money for a new (my parents wrote a $28k check for my Mom's Blazer back in 2000) one but why buy a new one when the old one runs just fine?

Reactions: RedCadi

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
I will differ on this. My entire family gets full use out of their cars before buying something else. My dad's van, which was bought new in 1994, has 200k miles and is still in use today. We have the money for a new (my parents wrote a $28k check for my Mom's Blazer back in 2000) one but why buy a new one when the old one runs just fine?
Agreed 100% on that. Why bother?

Also: I don't see how the Brougham is impractical at all. It's large, comfortable. EASILY sits four or five people, and has a trunk large enough for the Mafia's use. Impractical? I think not.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Also: I don't see how the Brougham is impractical at all. It's large, comfortable. EASILY sits four or five people, and has a trunk large enough for the Mafia's use. Impractical? I think not.
Mine is very impractical for daily driver use which is why I bought my Mark VII. It is too large to fit in most parking spaces and I could NEVER take it to the city because it would be impossible to park and maneuver in tight spaces. The last parking garage I had it in it stuck out from the spot by about a foot and a half. It is longer and wider than my Dad's full size van. Your car is slightly smaller than the older, boxy ones.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
My last fill up my Fleetwood did 18 MPG. One summer I did a trip to Seaside Heights, then to Atlantic City, and back and got 400 miles out of my tank of gas which was pretty close to empty. I did the math and that trip was 20 MPG if not 21......

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine is very impractical for daily driver use which is why I bought my Mark VII. It is too large to fit in most parking spaces and I could NEVER take it to the city because it would be impossible to park and maneuver in tight spaces. The last parking garage I had it in it stuck out from the spot by about a foot and a half. It is longer and wider than my Dad's full size van. Your car is slightly smaller than the older, boxy ones.
I got mine to fit in a Chicago parking garage just fine when I was up there last year. Although it isn't an experience I would like to repeat, I kind of lucked out that the garage was pretty easy to maneuver in. Around where I live, everybody drives duallys, and the spots are generously sized.

Also, the 93-96 Fleetwood was a 3-4" inches longer and a couple of inches wider than the 80-92 body style. The rounded styling makes it look a lot more massive IMO.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts