Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as you all know i attempted to paint my engine cover two weeks ago and you can clearly see it didnt work out to well. I just ordered a new one because over the weekend i attempted to clean it up to repaint but i F'ed it up even more. Yeah i know im a dumb ass:bigroll: so anyway i would like to try this once again but before i do can someone tell me what to clean it with and what paint i should go with and just how i should do this. I dont want to F this up again. Thanks for your info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Kevin:
You first need to properly prepare the piece before painting which involves cleaning it to remove any of the residual mold release agents that are still in the Thermoset plastic that caused your first attempt at painting it to fail.

I've attached a hyperlink to provide you with some assistance on the 3 steps in cleaning the intake cover before moving on to the next step on priming the piece before painting.

http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=371504&pageID=1&sk=&date=

With regard to paint products; you'll need a primer, base coat and clear coat for a simple job. Any of these simple aerosol paint products can be found at any large auto supply store.

If you want to get a bit radical and have access to an HVLP sprayer, the local paint supply jobber that supplies the local paint and body shops in your area can mix you a pint of a custom color in either a flake, pearl or candy color. You can find the local paint suppliers in the yellow pages.

Depending on what type of base coat that you are using, you may also need an adhesion promoter....this is particularly true if you are using any House of Kolor products or any color coats that require two stages such as a candy or pearl coats. Those particular colors require a base coat and then the 2'nd stage pearl or candy.

Another good resource for paint material for adhesion promoters, paints and clears is Eastwood Company. There website is: www.eastwoodco.com

The most important thing with regard to painting plastics is preparation of the plastic substrate. Failure to do so will ultimately cause delamination of any paint that you apply, regardless of the quality.

I think you'll find the first link helpful.

Good Luck my friend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts