Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Poll thread in the CTS V forums about location, age, occupation kinda got me thinking on this one. I noticed several people that posted in that thread were ages 19-23, students, etc. Which overall is a pretty young age to be driving such an expensive car. I dont know if its just my experince, but anytime people find out my age, and then see my car, they kinda give me this look...the kinda ''oh your spoiled driving such a nice car, mommy and daddy bought it for you '' look. Im wondering do any other young people in here get that attitude from other people, people who dont even know you or your background? I try to be as humble as possible, I never tell anyone what car I drive, if they see it they see it, but I mean unless your living under a rock, people will see you and your car. The other thing many people dont realize is my car cost the same as a very well equipped new Mustang GT, because my car isnt new, and we bought it used. I never seem to hear about the kid that drives the new M3, or the girl that got a new Mercedes SLK (yes I acutally do encounter people like this), but I always get that look or that certain attitude from people. So im just wondering, is it just me, or do you young CTS drivers face some steroptypes and assumptions from people for driving such a nice car at such a young age?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Caddy Man said:
The Poll thread in the CTS V forums about location, age, occupation kinda got me thinking on this one. I noticed several people that posted in that thread were ages 19-23, students, etc. Which overall is ......drivers face some steroptypes and assumptions from people for driving such a nice car at such a young age?
Here is a stereotype that you forgot to mention. Your young. My guess is you don't own a house. You have no real financial responsibilities. Your car is your biggest expense in your life right now. You have a job and pay for this car on your own. Your insurance might be higher than your car payment?!?! Just a guess!!! Another stereotype!

I can relate, when I was 20, I owned a Corvette. It was a 1985 which I bought used for 14 grand or so. (It was an awful 4+3 stick shift) I cost me less than a brand new Cavalier Z24 would have cost. (This was 1994 if my memory serves me right). I had no bills, so I could afford it. I got the "your mommy got it for you" all the time. I was a college kid with a Vet' and I worked hard to pay for it. On the other hand, I lived at home while most kids dormed or rented an apt.

What about the bling-bling stereotype? When I told my friends I bought a CTS they joked I was going to hop it up with 20's and put a huge wing on the back. I dig moded cars and to each their own, but putting 20's and a huge wing on my ride just isn't me. To my buddies I'm the dude with the ho-pimpin' ride.
:bouncy:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
If it's any consolation, I'm 43 and I get the looks like, 'what, are you a drug dealer to be driving such an expensive car?", especially with all of my mods. I agree that they're very affordable. I got mine brand new, but it had been sitting on the dealers lot for almost two years, because it was a manual. I got mine, with an extended warranty for about the price of a fully loaded Accord (>$27k). My girlfriend just 'had' to have a brand new 4Runner this summer. She got a 'deal' and paid $36k. No one says anything about that vehicle.

With so many used CTSs available in the low 20's, it sure beats driving a Honda as a student! I'm also surprised at how many of the V owners were 19-21 years old, but I agree with the assessment about it being the largest financial responsibility in their lives at this time. Hey, that's OK, too. I'm not into $800+/month car payments, so the V6 suited me just fine. I'm sure I'd be in jail by now, if I had decided on a V over my car.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I'm 22 and bought the car right before I turned 20. I definately get judged differently once people find out what I drive. I act humble and never anounce what car I drive. If they see the car, then so be it. Sometimes my friends will brag about my car for me to people that we meet. I just try to act like I didn't hear it and get off the subject as quickly as possible.

Once, I found myself wishing I had a crappy car so that this wouldn't happen...I think I had a high fever when that happened though. :p

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
depending on the area you live in.
If you go to georgetown, you can see 20 something driving around in s-class, 7 series, and i've even seen a 20 something driving around 360 modena with some hre wheels (probably another 6k). I do have a quite a few friends driving around in m3s and s4s and it's very common these days.

Look at how many high school kids are driving around in evos and stis (they cost much as cts)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
We're all a product of the terrible economic practices of the current administration that give tax breaks to the wealthy. Ain't life great?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
it's funny you brought this up, as it happens to me quite frequently. i get the same stereotypes when people see what kind of car i actually drive around, and sometimes i feel foolish telling people when they ask (like im automatically bragging or something). to be honest, i didn't think the price was THAT much, and a nice stock SUV or truck would have cost me much more on a monthly basis. my insurance is about 1/2 the payment, and it's not really a concern.

i find peope i know (older and younger) always bring up my car when i meet people...it's kinda cool, but on the other hand it can get a little embarrassing. i notice when i pick up people to go out, the first question they ask is, "is this your car, like, you pay for it?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
dkozloski said:
We're all a product of the terrible economic practices of the current administration that give tax breaks to the wealthy. Ain't life great?
You're old enough to know better than this.:yup:

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
I get it all the time, and most people don't even know about the 'vette or the 350z either. I get asked just as much tho about being Japanese drivng a Caddy, as I do about being 24.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
5,074 Posts
Yeah it happens to me all the time also...I don't really mind it though. I can afford it and I'm proud!!

aeromass said:
Here is a stereotype that you forgot to mention. Your young. My guess is you don't own a house. You have no real financial responsibilities. Your car is your biggest expense in your life right now. You have a job and pay for this car on your own. Your insurance might be higher than your car payment?!?! Just a guess!!! Another stereotype!
This is not the case for me, but it may be for many others.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
The most annoying Cadillac steareotype is that only old men drive them.

I'm 42 and people (including some attractive young women) were surprised that I bought a Cadillac instead of a BMW. They said I was too young to drive a Cadillac, and this sort of annoyed me.

However, BMW owners have their share of stereotypes as well:
BMW 325 owners: Mid 20s, making decent money, but not really established in their career, can't really afford the car, but they want to project the "image" of a BMW owner.

BMW 330 owners: Mid 30s, making very good money, well established in their career, can actually afford the car, and want to project the "image" of a BMW owner.
At 42, I consider myself young, very young. I'm in better shape than ever, and also making more money than ever. IMO, the CTS is a young man's car.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
dkozloski said:
:violin:

What tax breaks?

I'm still waiting for the capital gains tax to be reduced to ZERO.

But yes, life is great.

Personally speaking, I hate the concept of punishing people that work hard and have successful careers. These people should get tax breaks.

If everyone got good grades in school, went to college, worked hard, and was successful, then this wouldn't be an issue now, would it?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with this as well. I've owned three cars in my life, 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville, 1993 Sedan Deville, and now my CTS. You definitly get looked at differently. But I went to a high school full of rich kids, I mean kids driving Hummers and Jaguars too school (no lie). So its nice to be able to afford a nice car now.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I also shudder to think that my coworkers (especially the partners) know that I drive a better car! When people ask, I get nervous. Then I try to rationalize my lease:

"I still have plenty of disposable income"

"I'm paid more than most people my age"

"I'm into cars"

"The company reimburses my miles for work-related travel"

"It takes regular"

"I got a great deal"

"I'll earn more toward the end of my lease"

"I'm still living at home"

"I do not have any foreseeable big expenditures"

and my favorite excuse:

"The world could end tomorrow...wouldn't it be nice to die driving a gorgeous CTS than a Hyundai beater"

In the end, F what others think b/c it could drive a man insane!

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
I know that exact feeling i went to a HS filled with rich kids (for instance Bill Cower the Steelers head coach went to my school) and they got on my case about my 83 TRANS AM!!! Now if they havent had enough they still harras me about my new 97 ETC. Sorry im smart and got a near full scholarship to Duquesne University and bought an ETC with my savings. Ppl really piss me off an it really bugs me having worked so hard to buy my car and still have ppl call it my daddys ride (even with the stereo system in it a along with my strobe lights im a vol fireman those are my "blue light"). The best part i only paid 8990 for it and it looks brand new cuz it was so well maintained.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
i think people who sterotype us and our vehicles are just jealous. if they werent they would just think of our vehicles and us as just another joe blow. my two cents

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
It is a stigma, more so because its a cadi and not a comparably priced 4runner/accord/or altima.

I'm 22 and got mine last year for only a few grand more that I was going to pay for an altima 3.5 se (yeah, not even the SER). I'm soo happy with the CTS.

I work with doctors and I think its cool that those guys are checkin out my ride as they roll up in their 7-series and ls430's...

As for being spoiled, f-em', I've been working my ass off since I was like 12. At 22 it seems like I have 3 full-time jobs:

1. Business Manager
2. Clinical research coordinator
3. Crazy-ass trying to get into med school

So if I get anything about being spoiled...:bomb:

Not really, I actually do feel spoiled, the CTS is an awesome car and its at a great price. Just try and get a 7-series guy to come over and praise your brand new altima :cookoo: .

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Everyone thinks i'm a drug dealer, or that my "Rich parents" bought it for me.

I'm 22 and work very hard for my car.

Yes, I spend more money on my car every month than I do on Rent, Food and Clothing. But still..

You gotta have priorities in life

When people hear that they call me crazy, I call myself a Car Enthusiast, I would spent twice as much as I do now for a car, if I had the income :D

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
A few comments:

1 - I just turned 35, so I guess I am not in the 'young' category anymore, right?

2 - To me, it's not important what you drive or what type of house you have... it's whether or not you can afford it, and how much money you put away each month.

3 - I am happy to say I bought our Jeep/Caddy/Trans Am and paid cash. I also have no mortgage on my house. I was brought up in such a way that "Buy now, Pay Later" is just not cool. When I SAVED up $45,000, THAT is when I bought the trans am. Leasing is not cool, in my opinion.

4 - If someone's parents have tons of cash, and want to drop $40K - $75K on their kids' car -- hey, more power to them. Who are we to judge?

5 - People STILL laugh at me that I have a Cadillac. Led Zeppelin or not, let's face it, most of grandparents drive Cadillacs!! I joke with them. I think it's funny how there are more Caddies in Handicapped parking spaces than ANY other car around here! LOL!

6 - I do play it down and joke that the CTS is the "Poor man's Caddy!". Heck, a fully decked out Honda Accord is not far off in price!

7 - Back to my point #1... I am not considered young anymore, eh?? Shit. That sucks.

As long as people... our kids... our parents.. us.... would all start living within their means.... whether that means taking the bus to work, or buying an XLR... I think the world would be a better place. That's my view.

Too much debt going around. Too many credit cards. Too much stress. Too high mortgages. Too many bankcruptcies. It's a shame how everyone succumbs to all these TV commercials.

But all this to say... If you are 20, and mommy and daddy are making $300,000/year, heck... Enjoy your Mercedes! :)

Okay, enough BS for a Saturday afternoon.... Interesting thread!

1 - 20 of 219 Posts