Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recently my parents bought a 2000 STS for me to drive since my 5.0 isn't being very cost friendly due to numerous repairs. Well, I bought it for 4200 but have spent 1500 repairing a cooling problem. Which leads me to my first question.

Is 1500 bucks a good deal for a radiator change and water pump change? Also a flush included. I thought it sounded good but maybe it's really a ripoff. I'd like to know from you guys.

And also, from owning a 5.0, I love my car to be very quick. So is there any performance mods out there? Also, I'd love to get rid of the hideous rims on it right now, so any good 18's out there? Ride isn't a concern to me. I drove a 5.0 for crying out loud.

Here's a pic of my ride. Please tell me any aesthetic pieces that come to mind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/shuyiniscool/My cars/Cadillac.jpg

Also, what do you recommend to protect the leather from sun damage and people draggin their ass on the seat?

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
uuuuhhhhh....it seems to me that $1500 is way too much. How much shopping around have you done for repairs?

What exactly is the cooling problem? Please let us know what is wrong with it before you spend one dime.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uuuuhhhhh....it seems to me that $1500 is way too much. How much shopping around have you done for repairs?

What exactly is the cooling problem? Please let us know what is wrong with it before you spend one dime.
It overheats during the Arizona day (100+ degrees) and at highway speeds. It doesn't overheat on cool nights though, not much anyway.

And sadly, we've already paid for the flush and radiator which was 800.D:

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS
218 Posts
Maybe more importantly, where are you having it done? That seems a bit high for a Cadillac dealer, but not outrageously so (should be more like $1050). But if its Bob's Radiator Repair, definitely less then half. Is the radiator a GM part too?

For some wheels, I just tossed on some Bonneville GXP wheels, they're 18" Click here for my cardomain for pics. They're factory GM wheels, so they are lighter and stronger then nearly any aftermarket wheel.

Also, for your pic, I think you have a Seville SLS. I'm judging that from your current wheels and that are no fog lights (I think?). To save your seats, just keep them clean and well conditioned.

BTW, how young is young? I'm 21.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
Woah, I had my radiator replaced for $400 including labor, it's a simple job and an OEM ACDelco radiator costs less than $300, as for a water pump they shouldn't charge you more than $2-300 on your year Cadillac as you have to remove the throttle body (not hard at all) which is slightly harder than on the pre-00 N*s where it uses a simple tool and can be replaced in about 30 minutes.

If you're overheating you may have a much bigger problem, since you've had it flushed this would tend to lead me to believe you don't have a clogged coolant system, however has your thermostat been replaced? if it's damaged it could delay opening correctly causing your overheat.

Have you found that the car slowly leaks coolant or that the coolant level drops with no visible sign of leakage? If so it's time to have a hydrocarbon test done on your coolant which will determine if there is any combustion byproducts in your coolant indicating either a head sealing problem (pulled headbolts or headgaskets) or a cracked block. This is not a trivial repair, the hydrocarbon test is about $100 at a shop or dealer, a headgasket job if you can drop the engine yourself and get a timesert kit will run you $500-$1000 otherwise it will cost a shop around $3k, goodluck and let us know how it works out.

BTW I'm not trying to scare you I just want you to be prepared for the worst just in case...

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
This thread is confusing. It reads like you already spent the $1500 on the cooling system and are asking after the fact. Is it working for you now or do you still have problems?

That does look like an SLS from the pic. The STS comes with a painted grill, not chrome.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe more importantly, where are you having it done? That seems a bit high for a Cadillac dealer, but not outrageously so (should be more like $1050). But if its Bob's Radiator Repair, definitely less then half. Is the radiator a GM part too?

For some wheels, I just tossed on some Bonneville GXP wheels, they're 18" Click here for my cardomain for pics. They're factory GM wheels, so they are lighter and stronger then nearly any aftermarket wheel.

Also, for your pic, I think you have a Seville SLS. I'm judging that from your current wheels and that are no fog lights (I think?). To save your seats, just keep them clean and well conditioned.

BTW, how young is young? I'm 21.
I'm having it done at Coyotes Tire Rack, which is also an auto repair place in Glendale. And at dleaer it should be 1050? So, we are getting ripped.

It's a STS. It has the fogs, it was night time at the time of the pic so you can't see them. And the current rims, are just on there. Looks like escalade rims on it.

Edit: Also, it's a 99, not a 00.

And I'm 16. Probably the youngest on this site.xD

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woah, I had my radiator replaced for $400 including labor, it's a simple job and an OEM ACDelco radiator costs less than $300, as for a water pump they shouldn't charge you more than $2-300 on your year Cadillac as you have to remove the throttle body (not hard at all) which is slightly harder than on the pre-00 N*s where it uses a simple tool and can be replaced in about 30 minutes.

If you're overheating you may have a much bigger problem, since you've had it flushed this would tend to lead me to believe you don't have a clogged coolant system, however has your thermostat been replaced? if it's damaged it could delay opening correctly causing your overheat.

Have you found that the car slowly leaks coolant or that the coolant level drops with no visible sign of leakage? If so it's time to have a hydrocarbon test done on your coolant which will determine if there is any combustion byproducts in your coolant indicating either a head sealing problem (pulled headbolts or headgaskets) or a cracked block. This is not a trivial repair, the hydrocarbon test is about $100 at a shop or dealer, a headgasket job if you can drop the engine yourself and get a timesert kit will run you $500-$1000 otherwise it will cost a shop around $3k, goodluck and let us know how it works out.

BTW I'm not trying to scare you I just want you to be prepared for the worst just in case...
I'm thinking it's the thermostat too. It's the one thing the people at the repair garage haven't checked. There's no leaking at all. That's why I'm pretty sure it's not at the worst, yet.

@Other's: It is an STS. The grill is painted a dull gray. Just looks chrome because of the lighting from the Checkers we were parked at. And also, I'm asking as my car is right now in the shop. We haven't paid anything yet, don't have to till they fix it but to me, it seems they just keep adding stuff to get more money and it's pissing me off because I'm without a car to go to school stuff in and I have to drive my mom's minivan. (The worst torture for a teenage male ever.)

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Probably gonna catch some sh*t for this, but you shoulda bought the bimmer. A good friend has 174,000 miles of his 98 540, hasn't had a major problem ever, and it drives and handles like a beast.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but the bimmer was off the radar as soon as they saw the Caddie's 4.5k pricetag.D: I still do want the bimmer. RWD FTW!

·
Registered
963 Posts
seph don't worry man I went through the same thing, and even after spending as much on major repairs as i paid for the car itself I'm still way cheaper than what my buddy paid for his used 540i and regret nothing, i know my car better and know how to fix just about anything on it, for cheap since parts are alot cheaper!

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh, true. And it seems BMW people have the same dread as Cadillac owners.

The dreaded Cooling System. lol Both the BMW and Cadillac have weak cooling systems.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I could buy a bimmer 740 but didn't want to lack of myself from owning a Cadillac .I will never buy BMW over Cadillac ,so don't worry

·
Registered
1997 STS, 2000 L67 Regal Beagle
287 Posts
How do you youngin's afford to drive an STS? I'm 18, make $20/hour and still have a hard time paying for insurance and gas. I'm not strapped or anything, and of course have other expenses, but at 16, arg.

·
Registered
1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS
685 Posts
How do you youngin's afford to drive an STS? I'm 18, make $20/hour and still have a hard time paying for insurance and gas. I'm not strapped or anything, and of course have other expenses, but at 16, arg.
Ummm Daddy's money, living at home ... and no other expenses??

·
Registered
963 Posts
i bought mine when I was 20, coop for a big aerospace company :)

·
Registered
94 STS, 04 Deville
66 Posts
im 17, and i afford my 94 but gas is getting to be killer at 3.60 for premium

1 - 20 of 21 Posts