Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what do you guys think of the 1997-1999 devilles.

I'm looking into buying and I would like to know what you guys think.


Thanks!

LM
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
I think they are very nice looking cars.. Although, it seems like (at least on this site) that the 97 concours is VERY troublesome.... I would look into the latest model you can find of a certain body style as they tend to have less bugs.... First year models for cadillacs arent always good....!
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
I think I like the 97-99 the most of all the modern ones. Especially in white or beige. Love the taillights, and the whole car seems proportional physically to the front end. On my 1991, I love the distinctive ass end, but the front end seems to look like a chevy. GAK :( I usually think of the 1999 Deville as the last of the "classy" ones. The 2000+ just seem so sporty to me. (prob ride stiffer too)
 

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
Certainly the best looking years for the "finned" models, but my preference by far goes to the 2000 plus. A 2000+ DTS with the DTS wheels in chrome is a thing of beauty,and the LED tail-lights are damn cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I like the style.......;)
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
Ralph said:
I think I like the 97-99 the most of all the modern ones. Especially in white or beige. Love the taillights, and the whole car seems proportional physically to the front end. On my 1991, I love the distinctive ass end, but the front end seems to look like a chevy. GAK :( I usually think of the 1999 Deville as the last of the "classy" ones. The 2000+ just seem so sporty to me. (prob ride stiffer too)
how can you say that? NOTHING on the car looks like a Chevy....

.... I love the nose... the big chrome grille, how when you look at it from the side, the nose/bumper come to a point int he middle and stick out a little, I love the bumperetts thingies.... the headlights are nice, the whole car flows nicly......

the ONE thing that would make the '91-'93 DeVille better.... isn't something like RWD or something, but the interrior....mine is in amazing shape and perfect and everything, but honestly, if the '96 STS interrior was in my '93 CDV...... oh man, that woudl be sweet......

..... you should see about getting a grille from a 1993 model...they were differnt then '91 and '92.... the little cross-hatched pieces were blacked out...makes the car look better....
 

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
I test-drove one a couple months ago. I liked the power, it was very comfortable and quiet. Steering was light and soft, but not as "slushy" as the old '80's Cadillacs were.

Check for trunk leaks, that's what killed the deal for me. The jack and spare had rust on them, and the carpet beneath was saturated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys, the more the better.

How about engine trouble, oil leaks, etc??


Can anyone add more info??

LM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
:confused: I just bought a 1998 Sedan DeVille last night. It has 58,000 miles on it. What do I need to check oh her right away?

My other Caddy (Gerdie) a 1972 Sedan DeVille (53,000 original miles) is glaring at her (Isabelle) like she wants to run her over :-|
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Night Wolf said:
how can you say that? NOTHING on the car looks like a Chevy....

.... I love the nose... the big chrome grille, how when you look at it from the side, the nose/bumper come to a point int he middle and stick out a little, I love the bumperetts thingies.... the headlights are nice, the whole car flows nicly......

the ONE thing that would make the '91-'93 DeVille better.... isn't something like RWD or something, but the interrior....mine is in amazing shape and perfect and everything, but honestly, if the '96 STS interrior was in my '93 CDV...... oh man, that woudl be sweet......

..... you should see about getting a grille from a 1993 model...they were differnt then '91 and '92.... the little cross-hatched pieces were blacked out...makes the car look better....
WHAT, HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT MY INTERIOR STYLE SUCKS!! :histeric: Just toy'in Dude. see, it's all subjective. I like the interior style, you like the grille, I just don't think it's very distinctive. Maybe I shouldn't have said a Chevy, but I park beside a new Grand Marquis, and a big Mercedes where I live, we all back-into our parking stalls and my front end just doesn't get noticed. When I park with the ass sticking out, I have had other tenants looking at it and talking about it when I go out sometimes. I do like the chrome on the grille, but I think the perforated "couch" type seats are much more "rich looking." :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I have been loving my 98 D'Elegance, I came up from an Chrysler LHS so anything would be a quality upgrade. although my LHS did have more shoulder and head room. I hope i never have to drive anything but big bodied Lacs again. One problematic fuel pressure regulator, but thats been it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Best bang for the buck.

Main differences :
Deville: speed limited to 112 mph, soft ride. Bench front seating. Fake wood interior trim.

Concours : speed limited to 130 mph, firmer ride. Bucket seats with console. Real wood interior trim
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
97 concours said:
Best bang for the buck.

Main differences :
Deville: speed limited to 112 mph, soft ride. Bench front seating. Fake wood interior trim.

Concours : speed limited to 130 mph, firmer ride. Bucket seats with console. Real wood interior trim

According to my brochure, they brought real wood accents back in 1991 for Fleetwood, Deville?!
 

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
Ralph said:
According to my brochure, they brought real wood accents back in 1991 for Fleetwood, Deville?!
The DeVilles from the 80s and early 90s never had wood trim, the Fleetwood has had it since 1987.
 

·
Registered
2004 deville dhs
Joined
·
3 Posts
I need to figure out where i read this. But the 99 year seemed to have the least amount of trouble. I had a 97 and it was nothing but trouble. So less than a year later i took it back. I made my rep go to bat for me and they gave me a smoking deal on the trade and a good price on the 99. I did wait like a week before making the deal. He called and called. and we kept negotiating.


Anyway that my two bits worth.
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
Ralph... you mean to tell me this dons't look sweet?



Reasons why the front end on '91-'93 DeVIlles rock (I personally really hate the pre '91 front end):

the grille.... more about it, it is big, it is bold, and it is chrome.... here is the kicker, in '93 (like mine) it is "blacked out" so the cross hatching is black, which IMO give it a much better look then the '91-'92 model run....

The hood... it isn't just flat like new cars... for a recent car, it has a pretty steep dome (but tnothing like the early 70's Cads ) and has a sweet design going... looking at the picture, you can see how the "line" from the area b/w the headlights and grille extend up into the hood, but spred out... now on the headlight side, it is flat, but on the hood side, it continues to go up along with the grille, until the center.

The headlights are nice, they are the combined type lights, not single glass for high/low... gives the car a new look while still classy.... they are retangle-ish, but wider at the bottom then the top (vica-cersa for pre '91)

The bumper is really neat too, kinda part crhome/part painted plastic to make it blend a little better I like how it "dips down" for the grille, and perhaps one of my most favorite parts... the bumperettes (little vertical thingys) '93 was the last year for them on the DeVille, I consider them a modern day version of the "bullets" on the front bumpers of the Cads from the 50's and the bullets were SUPER cool....

All together, the big, bold grille, bumperetts and rest of the front of the car give it a mean, but classy, Amcerican style, while still remaining slighty aggressive... the ONLY gripe I have about the front end, is when you look at it, the nose/front of the car can seem small (IE, not "tall" enough) as the rest of the car... I am comparing it to my mothers '89 Brougham and Caddys form the 70's.....

Lastly, with the front end, I love how the whole front of the car comes to a point in the middle, adn isn't just rounded off like all cars today are.... to show that, check this out:







the car was considerably dirty in those pictures.... The last picture kinda shows you a side view of how I was saying the center of the front comes out more.... even my friend saw that and was like woha, that is really neat.....

... styling of cars really intrest me, and for some reason I only really like the styling of American cars, only a small handful of imports move me..... believe it or not, while sitting at a pizza place, I park the Olds in front of the big window, and was just looking at the car for awhile.... while I used to think it was one of the most bland cars around with just a make box for the body of the car adn a box on top for the cabin... I realized that there was actually some pretty neat styling design within the car.... pretty neat I say....

*I am done hi-jacking the thread, you are now back to your regular program*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
elwesso said:
I think they are very nice looking cars.. Although, it seems like (at least on this site) that the 97 concours is VERY troublesome.... I would look into the latest model you can find of a certain body style as they tend to have less bugs.... First year models for cadillacs arent always good....!

That is just what SOME people have said. I have had no problems with my 97 concours at all and ive owned it what 6 months. Must be the way I take care of it. My 97 concours is a gorgeous car with a silent ride. Although to me the seating is a bit stiff compared to my 91 cadillac deville. I would recommend these models im in love. Spacious, yet sporty. Luxurious, yet sohpisticated. Pretty much says it all. I have gotten numerous compliments on my 97 concours. Id recommend them :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I've had my black/black '99 DeVille for a week now and like it more every time I drive it. With 31,000 miles on the clock, it's like a new car with a bit of burnishing in! I seriously doubt that i'll ever own anything else unless it starts giving me headaches down the road. I really don't forsee that happening since a buddy of mine had a trouble free '97 that he drove the wheels off for a few years and swapped in on a '99 STS. If you get one, you'll most likely love it. They must be appreciated for what they are.
Edit:
Yo 156MPH,
Our tastes run concurrent. Both our Wives and cars could pass for sisters.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Rick, I take it back Dude, that does look sweet. I'm not sure, but I think I prefer the look of your "blackout" grille, as mine is just so much chrome. Don't get me wrong, I love chrome, but perhaps on my grille it is a bit overdone? Your car looks MINT! I never knew it looked that clean and perfect. I know you mentioned the wear on the driver's leather, but that is to be expected. Your car would look great with my teardrop alloy factory rims! Ever notice how after you wash the front-end, all the little cracks hide the water, and you cannot wipe it down properly 'til the next day!!

p.s., I got some good pics I can email you if you want to see my car, just pm me your home addy.

Now the thread is hijack free. :halo:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top