Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
deville
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my fuel pump about 6 weeks ago. it was overheating and whatever. well today i went to the gas station to get my morning drink. came out and my 92 deville wouldnt start, would run for a split second and die. i rolled it back into the shade cos i figured maybe it overheated. 15 minutes later it started up fine and i drove to work. shut it off and it wouldnt start again. whatever, i went and did my day of work. came out and it started fine so i went home.

got it to my house and flushed and filled the radiator. changed the oil. started up and idled. shut it off and it wouldn't start. waited 15 mins and it started. I had my brother turn the key on with my ear on the gas filler tube and i didnt hear anything. swapped the horn relay with fuel pump relay and it started. and the horn worked. shut it off and it wouldnt start.

probably unrelated but sometimes when i turned they key the starter would just click once and I'd do it again and it would rotate. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Do the usual stuff. start by checking OBD codes.
check for spark and fuel pressure, battery cables, plus connection to the starter - are they all clean and tight.
I have been going thru starter hell, myself. so I am curious if that might be your problem too., but then I'm wondering about your fuel pump replacement- was it new or used ?

·
Registered
deville
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was new. I'm getting spark and I'll check the cable tomorow after work. I really don't want to drop my tank again especially with 12 gallons alone.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't consider the fuel pump then. Do check your OBD for codes, tho. Also, what about the starter- has it ever been replaced? Then too, there is the PASS key; your key may be causing you some grief. Look at it closely for possible damage around the pellet and if you have a spare start using that and see if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
If the engine is turning over but not starting intermittently, the problem is more likely spark than fuel. Next time it doesn't start, pop the top off the air cleaner and work the throttle cable to see if fuel is flowing.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I've come to the point of un-plugging things related to a problem, and plugging them back in a few times. The connectors on these cars aren't the weather-proof type used in today's newer cars, and running connectors in & out a few times cleans the pins & spades etc enough to fix a bit of corrosion in connectors.

The other thing we need to get into are the grounds for the engine controls.
An intermittent ground will behave just as you describe your problem to be.
Check around on the engine for grounds, and inspect them . Also near the battery there is usually a ground near the jump-start terminal cover area.

·
Registered
deville
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I went up under it with the test light and I'm getting volts at the grey wire (fp power). redid the ground and plugged in and nothing. I think the pumps only starting when it wants too. when it does i can hear it kick in and im like "yeah it will start this time" and it does. guess im spending my holiday dropping my gas tank again. autozone parts are great.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
A fuel pressure gauge would be very handy in this situation. I would hate to replace the pump and have the same problem. You said sometimes the starter just clicks? That doesn't sound fuel pump related. Check those codes; it could be intermittent distributor signal too.

·
Registered
deville
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got the E052 code once but I never had it before trying like hell to start it. Im about to suit up and go drop the tank solo in the SC 95 degree heat.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If E52 is the only code you are getting that's just from resetting the PCM like battery disconnected for a repair or something. So if you were driving for six weeks trouble free and no other codes, I have to say it must be something with the fuel system. FUEL Pressure check might be the really smart choice here, before dropping that tank again. What if it's your Fuel pressure regulator failing?

·
Registered
deville
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i swapped the pump under warranty and its started about 15 times now so i think it will be ok. im going to be pretty weary for the next few weeks though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
WOW! Thanks to this thread I will NEVER buy Autozone parts for my amencaddy. Have a nice rest from you labors on this 4th of July.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times, only buy "dumb" parts from AZ, like filters, coolant, oil, wiper blades. NEVER pumps, alternators, starters, anything electrical, etc. THEY'RE CHEAP FOR A REASON.

·
Registered
91 sedan deville
341 Posts
I agree with Ranger, as being a AZ victim many times I will never buy electronic parts from AZ. THEY'RE CHEAP FOR A REASON. And our Cadillac don't like them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts