Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Good one - here's mine ...........

View attachment 579447
This is a problem working on cars where I live now.

We have quite a lot of passersby in front of the garage. Occasionally people stop and watch what I'm doing. That's fine and all, but sometimes some old fart steps in and gives me unwanted pointers that are usually outdated and downright wrong. Just today I was under the car replacing both CV joints on a Kia Amanti when some dumbass "who worked on cars and rebuilt engines for 25 years" came in and started commenting about how it was impossible without a proper removal tool and a lift because a floor jack and jack stands wouldn't give enough clearance to use the removal tool.

A large flathead screwdriver popped it right off the transmission. The guy left.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Tricks of the trade. We all have 'em.

But sometimes, particularly when flying blind in a forum, you have no idea of the gearhead level of most members so it's better to "do it by the book" instead of risking bodily or vehicular damage with a quick fix.

The ".........aw, heck; I've worked on cars and built engines for 25 years" is red flag territory, right there.

T-shirts ..........

ATF t-shirt.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still remember couple of years back when an O'Reilly's employee was checking tranny fluid for an older lady's Deville. Engine off and on a slant. I commented & he told me he's been doing this for years and knows what he's doing. He pulled the dipstick & showed it to her. "see, you're pretty much out of transmission fluid".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts