Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently got my oil changed. A few days went by and I noticed smoke, it turned out my cap seal was broken. I put a sealant on it, two days later still smelling I took it to a shop, they state my car is done for and I’m going to need a new motor. Being skeptical I researched, I’ve found multiple people with the same issue. It turned out to be moisture, it’s been raining and super cold. Is it possible the sludge is from simple moisture? I’m debating on changing the oil, filter, cap & seal. What do you guys think? Note : my coolant is greenish not yellow so it’s not leaking coolant.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
535 Posts
Moisture will cause the buildup, but the source of moisture is the important question. One cause is driving habits...frequent short trips (or rarely taking longer trips) allows water to accumulate faster because it does not stay hot long enough to evaporate.

If you take mostly short trips, I would start by wiping out the sludge and installing a new oil cap. Then take a 30+ minute drive on the freeway to heat things up for a while (longer is better, but not necessarily far from home in case the water is from a coolant leak!) Do this at least once/week in the future.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
Not blow by. Short trips and idling cause the goopy mousse in the cap. Sort of like moisture condensing on the windows or your glasses before they warm up. It's purged by the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) during longer trips. It takes at least 10 miles of driving - in cold conditions - to effectively warm up the engine guts and oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I’m replacing everything on Monday. As of now the other issue is my car croaks it just started, sounds like a frog. Front left side, in idle, turning & little while driving in general.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
535 Posts
Noise at idle that changes while turning suggests a power steering pump issue. I would start looking there, and change the fluid if it has not been done in a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts