Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks,

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks and I'm still a bit confused on the whole rear shock replacement on my 2005 Escalade ESV. Not confused about the whole Delphi vs Monroe vs Arnott vs Bilstein discussion, but more so, which of the Monroe parts is the correct model (I'm going for the OE replacement).

From what I was able to find on RockAuto.com there are two obvious options, the 40032 and 40050. Both are described as:

Rear; Escalade ESV; Escalade EXT; w/ Electronic Suspension; w/o ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension.

So, the obvious question is, what's the difference in the two models?

Also, to further confuse the heck outta me, I looked at the existing shocks, and they are labelled as:
Delphi
OE21321
U1T

I looked at all the Alternative OE Part Numbers for both of those parts, looked up by Part Number on RockAuto AND Delphi's website, and haven't found a darn match yet. So before I throw down $600+ for the pair, I want to make sure they are 100% the correct part.

Any advice on replacing the (apparently) rarest shocks on the planet? I'm anticipating a easy go at it, labor wise, just as soon as I can find the correct parts.

Also, kind of a novice question, but all the suspension packages (ZW7,Z55, Z56, etc) will be listed on the parts tag in the glove box, correct? I'm not sure what makes the Premium Smooth Ride Suspension different from what I have, because when compared to my Dodge Caliber SXT, EVERYTHING about this vehicle is premium! :cool:

·
Registered
2004 ESV
535 Posts
I ditched the air ride, so I can't offer any assistance on part numbers, but the rear shocks are pretty easy to remove. There's a 21mm bolt at the top, and one at the bottom. Much easier if you have an impact wrench. I forget the torque specs, but I used a couple ugga-duggas, and said good enough.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,177 Posts
Like mentioned above. The rear shock are very easy to change if you are any good at repairing cars in general. The 2002-2006 Escalade models uses the Z55 electronic suspension. The ZW7 uses rear shocks that self-level through passage means using a internal valve system to raise the shock to keep the rear level.

I just replaced my electronic shocks with Bilstein HD passive shocks front and rear. The ride is stiffer, but the Caddy handles like a SUV half it size, so I am happy.

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys.

I checked the Monroe site, and apparently the 40050 is just the newer model of the 40032, so either will work. I also confirmed that the Z55 and ZW7 are mutually exclusive and listed as is on the RPO sticker, so if it says Z55 it will no also list ZW7. I wasn't sure if they could have both or not.

Might as well get the 40032's while they're still available.

It's all starting to make sense now.

Now to figure out if I need a new compressor. There are no trouble codes thrown, and no "Service Ride Control" lights, so I suppose it IS possible that the previous owner knew about the shocks and pulled the fuse. Not wanting to invest in the "dealer's markup" might have been one of the factors in selling it.

RockAuto has the Cardone 4J0003C, SKP SKAS003, and the Arnott P2793.

More than likely, I'll have to replace the compressor as well. But for another $250, I'm sure as Hell going to do my best to make sure the current one is dead, and not just disabled, beforehand. So that'll have to wait until this afternoon, unfortunately. Time to search for that elusive g-spot..I mean air ride relay.... ;-)

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure the relay is the standalone relay next to the fuse box in the engine bay.
That's the first place I'm going to look, but there's seems to be a bit of confusion as to whether it's under the hood, underneath the rear driver's-side seat, or under a panel on the right-side in the back of the vehicle.

I can't help but think that this would have been yet another call from the shop, upping the price again.

I was trying like crazy to avoid working on this thing, as it always turns into a three-day clusterf%$# of parts, old coagulated grease, and searching for that one missing socket; followed by two days of not being able to walk or stand straight. So I figured, new Caddy, new leaf, right? So first the shop was going to replace them with the Arnott AS2700's. Originally they quoted me about $800 for the new shocks, replacing the Pitman arm and idle arm. I figured that was a reasonable price for not having to mess with it. Then they said they couldn't get them, and they had to order them from a different dealer, which was upping the price about $50. Fine, whatever. Then, they must have been confused, because they called the dealer who, of course, said, they could only get the shocks from them at $600 a piece. Full stop right there. No. Freaking. Way. But we offer a credit card. Forget that noise. HAD I agreed to those 175% marked up "dealer" parts, they would have called back and said that I also needed a compressor too, which would have been ANOTHER dealer-only profit-margin special.

Now that I've done the research (with the help of the awesome folks on this forum) I realize now that they have no flipping clue what they were getting into. Also, I have to dig up that old quote, because I suspect they were only going to replace the one shock that was shot.

I provide Radiology support for hospitals and program HL7 interfaces between EMR's and commercial products for a living. But I end up doing most of my own auto work (often begrudgingly) because there's just too many idiots out there that clearly either do not know what they're doing or they're just out to rape your wallet (or your credit). That same shop quoted me $1200 for one control arm. I bought them both off of RockAuto for $300 and had it done in a day. I miss living in Michigan and having a buddy 15 minutes up highway 27 with his own shop. Now THAT was convenient as all get up.

But then again, being able to have my 9 year old boy replace the struts on my Caliber was a priceless moment that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
535 Posts
And now you see why a lot of people just ditch the unreliable air ride altogether and go with standard shocks. For $60/corner, I replaced all the shocks, and have been happy.

Air ride suspensions are nice, but they are $$$$ to maintain.....But at least this isn't the S class Mercedes air ride.

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed. $60/corner is quite tempting. What shocks did you go with? And by standard, we're talking a standard sealed, non-adjustable, gas or fluid shock? Not something like the Arnott AS2700 replacement for the air ride, correct? Something more like the KYB MonoMax or the Bilstein B6 4600?

Did you need springs with that too, or is that ZW7 only? And then disable the whole thing by pulling the fuse or relay? (which means you have to change the fronts too, at the same time, correct?)

I'm not terribly opposed to something like that.

But I DID crawl under and had my wife start it up, sounds like the compressor is still working (I couldn't tell if it was vibrating in and of itself, or from the engine running). The relay was clicking, and when I climbed out from underneath, I noticed the noise, which resembled the fuel pump priming, just higher pitched.

Since it's too late to ship out today already, I'm going to give it the night to take this into consideration. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,177 Posts
Indeed. $60/corner is quite tempting. What shocks did you go with? And by standard, we're talking a standard sealed, non-adjustable, gas or fluid shock? Not something like the Arnott AS2700 replacement for the air ride, correct? Something more like the KYB MonoMax or the Bilstein B6 4600?

Did you need springs with that too, or is that ZW7 only? And then disable the whole thing by pulling the fuse or relay? (which means you have to change the fronts too, at the same time, correct?)

I'm not terribly opposed to something like that.

But I DID crawl under and had my wife start it up, sounds like the compressor is still working (I couldn't tell if it was vibrating in and of itself, or from the engine running). The relay was clicking, and when I climbed out from underneath, I noticed the noise, which resembled the fuel pump priming, just higher pitched.

Since it's too late to ship out today already, I'm going to give it the night to take this into consideration. Thanks for the info.
I swapped the Z55 suspension in my 2006 Caddy for Bilstein B6 4600 shocks front and rear. I also needed to upgrade the softer stock rear springs for stiffer HD"heavy duty" rear springs made by Moog to better support the weight in the rear. The stock rear suspension is mostly supported by the stock rear air shocks, therefore the rear springs are too soft to properly support the rear without the air shocks support and need to be swapped for HD springs for safe handling when the active air suspension Z55 system is converted to passive shocks.

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I really considered the conventional route, but that sounds like more of a job than I want to tackle at the moment and less of a fix that I can. Plus, this is the wife's first Caddy, so I figured might as well let her have that "Cadillac Ride" for a few years.

In the end I ordered the 40032's and got a pair of 40050's instead, so I can't complain. Saved about $100 there alone if I do recall correctly. My 11 year old and I are getting ready to tackle this right away, should be a fun day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts