Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 ESV with factory crossbars. I looked in the owners manual and it states that the crossbars can hold up to 200 lb limit.
Looked at both Yakima Skybox 21 and Thule Atlantis 2100 in person at a local store. The anchoring mechanism appears to fit fine by eyeballing it.
I like the Yakima better for several reasons. But when I visited the Yakima site, it states the factory crossbars are incompatible?!
I called Yakima technical assistance and was told that despite the fact that it may fit on the factory crossbars and fall well within weight specs from the dealer, it is not recommended and their warranty would be null/void.

I am looking for anyone who may have gone through the same predicament and offer any suggestions.
I don't want to spend an additional $225 for the Yakima racks.
I'm probably going to just get it and mount it on the factory crossbars anyway...

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,488 Posts
If you don't tow anything i would recommend looking at the boxes that mount from your receiver hitch.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
408 Posts
I have the sears 20 Cubic foot unit and it works well with the factory roof bars.. I had no problems with 3000 mile trip..

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
I went through the same thing. I ended up getting the Yakima Railgrab kit with 60" bars. It was on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $179.99.
Looks and functions great!
Have already used it for ski racks and to carry my 11 foot long paddle board.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
60 Posts
I have the largest Yakima Skybox on my factory bars. The only issue I have is clearance in between the crossbars and the roof. You have to line it up just right.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the largest Yakima Skybox on my factory bars. The only issue I have is clearance in between the crossbars and the roof. You have to line it up just right.
Ahhh, just the person I needed to talk to!
Have you had the Skybox long? Any issues other than what you mentioned?
Warranty problems? Or never had a chance to find out yet?
Satisfied with the box?

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
Just my $0.02, but the factory bars are extremely flimsy in comparison to the replacement Yakima bars.
It's worth the extra money in my opinion if you're putting on a large box to make the upgrade.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just my $0.02, but the factory bars are extremely flimsy in comparison to the replacement Yakima bars.
It's worth the extra money in my opinion if you're putting on a large box to make the upgrade.
You got a pretty good deal on the Rail Grabbers.
I've also looked at the Thule Atlantis 2100. According to Thule, the factory crossbars are fine. Spoke with one of their techs.
I just like the Yakima better...internal latch mechanism is not as intrusive and it comes with tethering spots inside the box.
But before spending an extra $180-225, I would just get the Thule if I thought it was truly an issue.
I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Yakima and mount it on the factory crossbars...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about a rear hitch box, but the ESV is pretty long already.
The rear box definitely has the advantage of easier access, but it seems limited in space...need 21 cubic feet sized box.
Disadvantage is that it adds length to an SUV that barely fits in parking space now.
Thanks though...

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
60 Posts
No problems beside the clearance that I mentioned. No factory crossbars are as sturdy as the aftermarket Thule/Yakima ones. My brother also has the same box on his 2008 Denali with no problems.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
31 Posts
I have a Skybox 16 and used it once on the factory bars but will never do it again. The clearance is way to tight, I ended up putting furniture hardwood sliders between the truck and the Yak clamps because I thought one bump and it might hit the roof. I even had to put a towel on the truck because the clamps would of scraped the paint as I hook up the Yak. If I had more time last summer I wouldn't have used it this way and bought the Railgrab kit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For those in a similar situation...
Got the Yakima Skybox 21 the other day and I mounted it on the factory crossbars with no problems. Fits fine.
There's also plenty of clearance for the latching mechanism.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
31 Posts
shchow how much space do you have between the bars and your roof? I wonder if they increased the space on the 2010 from the 07 model.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got probably a good inch between the bottom of the latch and the roof of the car...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts