Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to the office this morning I caught up to a riced out neon with some early 20 year old. He seemed gamey so I got next to him and just nailed it he stayed up with me till the next light, I had to get behind him as there was an explorer in my lane, so light turns, he nails it. I am around him and 2 car lenghts in front of him in no time :nyanya: ...let him catch up some and we are flying about 90mph both radars go off....slow it down till clear, and do it again with the same results....me in front...way in front :banana: when we quit I could tell by the look on his face he was in disbelief that a 33 Year old Realtor in some old cadillac just kicked his a**. Was such a rush...

I drive a 93 Black STS 4.6 North*, that needs more work to it than its worth....but she will still Fly like the wind.

Good day all and BTW I love all the stories keep it up and be safe

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Good kill man. I raced a kid with a modded Neon with a bodykit and these are the mod's he claims he has. CAI, exhaust, 75 shot of nitrous, cam, headers, and a short throw shifter and I raced him in my stock Spec V and at the nd I had 4-5 car lengths on him :D

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Who would waste their money on riceing a neon..... No matter how much money you put into it, its still a NEON!!

Great kill though...... Now its time to take it up a notch and race cars that might stand a CHANCE.... :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
elwesso said:
Who would waste their money on riceing a neon..... No matter how much money you put into it, its still a NEON!!

Great kill though...... Now its time to take it up a notch and race cars that might stand a CHANCE.... :D
Yeah, the only neon that would be worth it to mod would be that new SRT, but then again, you could just leave that stock and whoop all the @$$ you needed to: 0-60 in 5.9

·
Registered
174 Posts
beemer2k said:
Yeah, the only neon that would be worth it to mod would be that new SRT, but then again, you could just leave that stock and whoop all the @$$ you needed to: 0-60 in 5.9
First off, good kill!! Now, the SRT-4 does not do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Unless perhaps you're on ice and spinning like there is no tomorrow. They average 5.2 - 5.4 0-60 (stock) and get between 13.7 - 14.2 for 1/4 mile times stock. They also say in their adds that they have 215hp. Umm, no they don't. The 2003's we're running dyno's around 223 at the wheels and the 2004's are 230ish. That's a far cry from the mfgr rating of 215 at the crank. And please don't call these "just Neon's" they're very far from it! Is the SVT Cobra "just a Mustang" Is an STI "just an Impreza" and is an EVO 8 "just a Lancer"? Just my 2 cents.

Have a great day! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've heard of European auto makers underrating their power output, but this is the first I've heard of an American auto maker doing so :confused: . We're more likely to round up than round down. If SRT-4s were dynoing 223 at the wheels, they would be putting out around 300 at the crank. Why would they short-stick themselves +-75hp? They couldn't help but to attract more buyers advertising 300hp vs 215hp. 5.3 is a LOT more impressive than 5.9. Don't get me wrong - I REALLY want to believe you. Educate me.

·
Registered
586 Posts
they short the HP for a few reasons. One: the competitors thinbk its lower so they only try to get where the neon is advertised to be and not higher, 2: it saves the buyer insurance beacuse insurance rates are directly related to how much power your car makes, and 3: they dont have to rate it higher cus there is no other sport compact close to that for that price in stock form.

·
Registered
174 Posts
[/QUOTE]I've heard of European auto makers underrating their power output, but this is the first I've heard of an American auto maker doing so :confused: . We're more likely to round up than round down. If SRT-4s were dynoing 223 at the wheels, they would be putting out around 300 at the crank. Why would they short-stick themselves +-75hp? They couldn't help but to attract more buyers advertising 300hp vs 215hp. 5.3 is a LOT more impressive than 5.9. Don't get me wrong - I REALLY want to believe you. Educate me.[/QUOTE]
Ok, well if you do indeed wish for an example of American's under-rating their cars...take a look at the old 426 Hemi from Chrysler. They rated it at 425hp. Well, in many applications it's actual output was closer to 550hp. Chevy also had the same thing going on with some of their engines as well as Ford. This is NOT a new thing by any means. If you would like to learn more about how fast this little pocket rocket is check out http://www.srtforums.com There is a female member on there who goes by the name of SRTGURL, her SRT-4 is running 12's in the 1/4 with $1500 in mods. Nothing done to the internals of the engine. This is just an incredibly impressive car for an impressive price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts