Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got our OWN FWD FLEETWOOD piece of land!! Jumpin' for joy :bouncy:
All I can say, Sal is thank you :worship: thank you :worship: thank you :worship:

PS: Sal, maybe after this "Forum for discussions regarding the Fleetwood (front wheel drive models only)."

Since there is more room, you might wanna add "93-60 Special"
as well. Since it was named before under deVille & Fleetwood & Fleetwood Brougham, and now lacks mention???

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sal Collaziano said:
The '93 Sixty Special should fall under the Fleetwood FWD category?
YES :angel:

Cadillac took what was the 1989-1992 FWD Fleetwood and renamed it Sixty Special for its final year of 1993, because they switched the Fleetwood name to the then brand new RWD Fleetwood (1993-1996).

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Finally, a section for the 60 Specials, but hopefully the forum doesnt get spread too thinly.
Jacob Hoppe

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I can't tell you how confusing it is to find parts for a full-size Cadillac bearing the name Fleetwood, Deville, Brougham, or any combination of those from the early 80's through the 90's. Even Cadillac dealers get confused at times. Some guys call all RWD Cadillacs through those years "Broughams" and ONLY use the "Fleetwood" name when speaking of a FWD car. Cadillac screwed it up SO bad that even some of their own literature was mis-marked.
Fact of the matter is that virtually ALL RWD Cadillacs through those years were shared MOST of the same running gear and only body parts changed significantly. The FWD cars changed several times throughout that period though which only added to the confusion. The EASIEST way to seperate the cars through those years is to just identify whether you need something for a FWD or RWD car and then on the RWD cars, just identify whether you're working on a car with or without ABS to identify it as a normal car or a commercial chassis type. The name "Fleetwood" is the biggest problem since they used it a few different ways on a few different cars. Then to make matters worse they sold the rights temporarily to a coachbuilder to use on a customized FWD Deville for a couple years ('98 & '99 I think). Anyone who owns a Cadillac that has the name Fleetwood in it deserves a prize for putting up with the mess.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You're right about the confusion Katshot. When I'm looking for parts and say it's for a Cadillac Brougham someone will almost always ask "Brougham what?" or "Is that a Fleetwood?". I usually end up saying somethign like "I'ts the big rear wheel drive". I bought an owners manual from the dealer, right on the cover it says Brougham, then on the bag it came in someone wrote "Fleetwood RWD". The 5.7 adds to the confusion too because with it you also got some more heavy duty parts the 5L ones don't have. I've called about parts for a buddys old FWD Fleetwood, or been there when he was asking for something and sometimes even with them you'll hear something like "Is it FWD?".

Then there the for sale ads. It's almost like people don't even know what they have! Some people call them a Fleetwood, others a Fleetwood Brougham or just Brougham. Soemtimes you see ads for FWD ones that say Fleetwood Brougham. :bonkers:

I've also had people say "OH the couch on wheels!" when they already know the car or see it out the window :histeric:

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts Counter People and Parts Managers and Asst. Managers know very little about model line-ups and different models and which were FWD or RWD. They are very good on the computer and locating parts and they know the parts numbering system and the group codes, etc, etc. The New Car Salesmen know the models, line up FWD or RWD but don't know squat about Parts, and most aren't too great on the computer. It's all the specific job titles, or whatever.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Not if you're talking about GM dealership Partspeople. They recieve GM training and it consists of year by year model changes etc. GM also produces a year by year "New Product Guide" which outlines ALL the changes in the model lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts