Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah I am not in a huge hurry to do this modification to my ATS. but I do love that cluster.
Damm man ATS? that's the hardest one, you got alot of work to do, good luck , I would take the risk too we love our caddies man just need to be dedicated and alot of patience

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah I am not in a huge hurry to do this modification to my ATS. but I do love that cluster.
By the way I'm working on adding carplay and Android auto too, which I don't have, not harder than the cluster but more expensive, it'll take me a little longer cause I'm prioritizing my ZZP build but that upgrade is also something I really wanna do

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
279 Posts
Well I ended up getting one of these XTS Clusters for my ATS.... should be a fun undertaking. I was weirdly able to convince my Cadi dealership to do a reflash when I get it to input my vin#. should be interesting to see what they do lol.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
279 Posts
wooooow.... this has so much involved in fabrication. I wish I still worked at a machine shop I would have had so much fun with this. buuuut doing it all at my house with a dremel. got the whole thing in pieces just figuring out how I should place the face for the console then comes the scariest part to me is cutting into the dash on the car. should be an interesting journey. if anyone else has done this I would love to collaborate on some of the details in the car fitting.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
279 Posts
Does anyone know Jon or have anyway to contact him. Just want to see if he has some photos of the back of the console he made I wanted to see where and how he fit it in the dash. I am at that point and I can’t seem to figure it out. Any help would be great! Thank you

·
Registered
2016 CTS V-Sport
38 Posts
Following this thread because I'm thinking about switching to an ATS-V if car seat sizing checks out, but can't stand the analog gauges.

FWIW, I did an analog to digital gauge swap on my CTS V-Sport. For NYInstaller and folks with the washer fluid error, I used a donor VIN to get rid of the error messages, though I'm not sure it'd work across models (XTS-->ATS for you guys):

6. You will need a subscription from AC Delco/GM to program your cluster with your VIN. It's $40, lasts for two years, and can be purchased here: https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome/ (it's the top option).
7. Here's one key point: You also need a subscription for another vehicle to which the cluster would properly belong. I just found a 2016 premium for sale at a dealer through google and used that VIN.
8. Once you have the cluster installed, you need to do a CANBUS learn. Sounds complicated, right? Nope. Just do like the guy from Cadillac forums said and log-in, select "Replace and Reprogram ECU" (not just "Reprogram ECU"), validate that it correctly auto-populated your VIN after talking to your BCM, then "Instrument Cluster (P16)," then "Setup and Configuration" (the middle of the three options). This, best I can tell, doesn't actually reprogram the cluster all the way, but rather writes your VIN into the instrument cluster and changes the operating system to the current OS. It does not change "Warning," "Performance," "Indicators," or other software modules in the instrument cluster. (See here for reference to the different modules and version numbers for the "donor" VIN I used: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/...). When it tells you to turn the ignition on, make sure you hold the button down for 10+ seconds like you're doing a Trifecta tune, btw.
9. At this point, you should have gotten rid of the warning to program your cluster, it should show your mileage in the odometer, etc., but you will likely be getting error messages like "washer fluid low" or service this or that. Here's where your donor VIN comes into play. Go through the previous steps above, except (i) where it auto-populates your VIN, you type in or copy/paste your donor premium VIN, and (ii) instead of clicking "Setup and Configuration," you click on "Programming," which is the top of the three options. Click "next" or "okay" a couple of times, and it will start writing to actually reprogram the cluster the rest of the way. In my case, it took about 10 minutes, and it updated the cluster's OS and the remainder of the modules. Make sure you do "Replace and Reprogram ECU" (not just "Reprogram ECU") at the beginning, or the write of the other modules won't "take."
Food for thought, but it was that second set that got me to be completely error-free, and I've had the digital cluster for about a year and 15k miles now.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
279 Posts
Following this thread because I'm thinking about switching to an ATS-V if car seat sizing checks out, but can't stand the analog gauges.

FWIW, I did an analog to digital gauge swap on my CTS V-Sport. For NYInstaller and folks with the washer fluid error, I used a donor VIN to get rid of the error messages, though I'm not sure it'd work across models (XTS-->ATS for you guys):

Food for thought, but it was that second set that got me to be completely error-free, and I've had the digital cluster for about a year and 15k miles now.
The ATS-V has the same needle gauges they are just red instead of blue unfortunately. are those steps you included how you were able to get past the washer fluid issue?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The way I understand it you need to use or program the cluster to a model from the same group of cars to not have those errors, ie: CTS to ATS. Escalade and XTS were different setup so there will always be errors. The CTS-V cluster doesn’t have any errors in ATS-V if programmed correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CTS V-Sport
38 Posts
The ATS-V has the same needle gauges they are just red instead of blue unfortunately. are those steps you included how you were able to get past the washer fluid issue?
Yep, step 9 is where I got rid of the washer fluid error message. I have had no error messages since doing it like a year ago.

But keep in mind mine was CTS-V/CTS V-Sport Premium guage cluster --> CTS V-Sport.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
279 Posts
Yep, step 9 is where I got rid of the washer fluid error message. I have had no error messages since doing it like a year ago.

But keep in mind mine was CTS-V/CTS V-Sport Premium guage cluster --> CTS V-Sport.
Hey Man who did you talk to about the programming? I would love to pick this persons brain about how to do this on my own as far as programming the console.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Man who did you talk to about the programming? I would love to pick this persons brain about how to do this on my own as far as programming the console.
You need a GM MDI programmer and a subscription to GM licenses for both your car and the car you are using the parts from. Then these instructions should lead the rest of the way, allegedly. I have researched but have not tried it yet myself.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
464 Posts
I just purchased vxnano and will be trying programming. I'm hoping a similar enough flash ie a car with similar options will get rid of some if not all errors.

I'm also thinking of trying to flash it with the ATS-V firmware... If someone has pics of the V's guts we may find its the same hardware as the XTS and many others. I mean honestly, why would GM pay for different panels when they could just use one panel and put it in the various required housings? Worst case I brick the cluster.

I'm also hoping a non-canadian flash of the BCM will get rid of the headlights allways on 'functionality'. Along the same lines, they added boost gauge to '16+ regular AT; If its not being exposed by instrument panel I wonder if its BCM or ECM

Worst case I'll go with plan B and do a custom face for the stock gauges as previously discussed (tach/speedo flip)

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
464 Posts
good pic and good info. I've got a '14 so I snagged same year XTS. It looks like for '14 the Escalade, CTS and XTS had LCD options and all had the same display modes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Correct, I have 15 Escalade in mine; same error messages as XTS, I want to try a 15 CTS V-Sport cluster next. My theory is since they are the similar architecture there should be less errors.

·
Registered
2016 CTS V-Sport
38 Posts
Hey, sorry for the delay. Newborn and another kid under 2 so not checking forums that much. I did the programming myself. I copied the programming instructions over from a post I made on one of the V-Sport facebook groups.

I nosed through earlier in this thread and saw that a guy had an issue with the washer fluid showing and not showing the boost guage. If you're going to flash an XTS VIN for the second reprogramming, after you've attached your VIN to the cluster itself -- Step 9 in what I copy/pasted above -- then I would use a VIN from the same model year and an XTS V-Sport, since that should have boost as one of the options.

I'd also add the disclaimer that your mileage may literally vary because we're talking CTS vs. ATS and so on. Also, another warning is that when people tried junkyard or other cluster that have already been used with another VIN, no one could get it to work. I had to get a "virgin" cluster to make it work on my end.

Hope this helps, even if just to compare with your experiences. I think nyinstaller has you guys 99% of the way there, and there's no way I could have done the fab work that he (she?) did.

Spoiler for FULL CTS INSTRUCTIONS UNDER THIS SPOILER TAG:
So here's the skinny:

1. My car is a 2016 non-Premium, so it came with the analog guages. Literally YMMV with anything before or after 2016 model year, but I recall Blac Lacquer saying that he got the guages to work on his 2014 except for getting the mileage to post. His theory, when I was over his house the other day, is that he did things in the wrong order (sucks to be the guinea pig ... thanks, Blac) and got the wrong VIN programmed into it, which he couldn't reverse.

2. The instructions that someone posted to Cadillac forum to take out the dash were really useful: https://drive.google.com/.../1CZaXk4dnD7IlU7gWFLFPSE.../view. It took about 45-60 minutes to take apart the dash and that's being careful. I strongly recommend getting a universal joint socket for a couple of the screws just under the windshield, and probably a magnetic tray for your screws. Both were lifesavers to me.

3. For you 2014 folks, here's a guy that did it with his 2015, and I used a lot of his background for instructions: https://www.cadillacforums.com/.../572634-anybody-swap...

4. You will need a cluster! In my case, I used 84054005. I tried to order from the usual suspects for discounted GM parts online, plus a couple of local dealers, but no one would sell it to me, saying it's a "restricted" part. Luckily, Blac was aware of the company that supplies the clusters, and they sell to the public! 84054005 lists for something like $1100 but I think they sold it to me for like $650.

5. To program, you will need either a General Motors tool ($$$$$) or a MongoosePro GMII ($495) or a knockoff MongoosePro ($75 or so). These cables hook between your computer's USB port and your OBD2 port on your car, and allow you to program. If you've done a Trifecta tune, this cord is pretty similar to their red one.

6. You will need a subscription from AC Delco/GM to program your cluster with your VIN. It's $40, lasts for two years, and can be purchased here: https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome/ (it's the top option).

7. Here's one key point: You also need a subscription for another vehicle to which the cluster would properly belong. I just found a 2016 premium for sale through google and used that VIN.

8. Once you have the cluster installed, you need to do a CANBUS learn. Sounds complicated, right? Nope. Just do like the guy from Cadillac forums said and log-in, select "Replace and Reprogram ECU" (not just "Reprogram ECU"), validate that it correctly auto-populated your VIN after talking to your BCM, then "Instrument Cluster (P16)," then "Setup and Configuration" ( the middle of the three options is). This, best I can tell, doesn't actually reprogram the cluster all the way, but rather writes your VIN into the instrument cluster and changes the operating system to the current OS. It does not change "Warning," "Performance," "Indicators," or other software modules in the instrument cluster. (See here for reference to the different modules and version numbers for the "donor" VIN I used: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/...). When it tells you to turn the ignition on, make sure you hold the button down for 10+ seconds like you're doing a Trifecta tune, btw.

9. At this point, you should have gotten rid of the warning to program your cluster, it should show your mileage in the odometer, etc., but you will likely be getting error messages like "washer fluid low" or service this or that. Here's where your donor VIN comes into play. Go through the previous steps above, except (i) where it auto-populates your VIN, you type in or copy/paste your donor premium VIN, and (ii) instead of clicking "Setup and Configuration," you click on "Programming," which is the top of the three options. Click "next" or "okay" a couple of times, and it will start writing to actually reprogram the cluster the rest of the way. In my case, it took about 10 minutes, and it updated the cluster's OS and the remainder of the modules. Make sure you do "Replace and Reprogram ECU" (not just "Reprogram ECU") at the beginning, or the write of the other modules won't "take."

10. After waiting 10 minutes that feels like 30, click "ok", "next" or whatever else a time or two, then shut down the program, turn your ignition off, then start your car, and "voila," it should work.

11. It seems like previous attempts only programmed the VIN into the cluster, but didn't go the second step of updating the rest of the modules. Also, Blac was a savior. I don't know how many texts/facebook messages there are of me being like "dude I think I fucked up, what should I do?" and him being like "try this next." Thanks again, man.

Overall, I rate this 10/10 and would do it again. I was debating between premium and non-premium primarily for the cluster because I didn't care for the analog guages, but I couldn't justify the multi-thousand dollar price difference between them when I was looking. All-in, this cost me a bit under $800 and (i) if you've ever replaced a car radio or put the mesh grill in your V-Sport, you can definitely turn the wrench on this one and (ii) if you've done a Trifecta tune, you can definitely do the computer side of it, too.

Holler if you guys have any more questions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello! I’ve ordered my SECOND LCD cluster and hopefully this one works. I have a 14 CTS and the new cluster is out of a 14 XTS. When I programmed the first cluster I had all these warning lights showing up on the sides of the cluster. Has anyone seen this issue? If so, how was it fixed?

101 - 120 of 134 Posts