Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
ATS_V _vector Blue Sedan
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever get an XTS Full digital Cluster to working in there ATS.

Ive been asked if it will and since I didn't know I bought one. Knowing what I know about the clusters I searched ebay and found one. It was Cheap so if it didn't work out then Oh well.

First I received the cluster when my car was at Cadillac for the 3rd failed attempt to fix ac smell. so I had to wait. Physically without the two next to one another it looked close. just the mounting tabs are located in different spots.

So I finally got my car back on Thursday and so I plugged the thing in. Of course I was upset it didn't fit at all. Way to big left to right. anyways I plugged it in and not only did it work Since it was the same model year as mine the correct mileage popped right up. (this is because the BCM handles this) and everything worked right away. Now its not plug and play even if it fit. It requires the oem tool to configure it to the car. Now again since the model years match that went off without a hitch.

When I first plugged it in I was getting warnings for AWD, suspension etc etc. After a learn/ configure All the warnings went away. However what I do have is a low washer fluid warning. Which My fluid can be low but I don't have any to fill and check, and well you cant see the bottle at all. But I wasn't getting the error with my other cluster installed so it might be something I have to live with. And since that is it. Im good with it.

So anyways I had to separate the plastic shield off my original to make this work. (delicate process) however completely reversible. so basically I can remove the new cluster and put my original back in and no one will ever know.

it took me many hours yesterday to make everything fit and look nice. but like I said in the title the time spend was well worth the end result. can I do somethings different sure but some will just look at it and be like damn that looks stock. and it does. Sorry for the following pictures as my camera is getting a haze due to the lighting outside the car.

Now getting the cluster to work in the car technically anyone with An oem tool can make it work and sync to the car. Word of advise If you have a 13 use a 13 cluster 14-14 ya get the point.

the following things are needed to get this done. (abilities) Now I am going to down play it abit but it was not easy and figuring it out how to make this sit and fit was a challenge.

ability to make a faceplate. Completely custom. wood , metal , plastic.
Know how to solder and desolder leds
know how to separate front plastic from Original cluster without damage.
have OEM tool access
Know how to use the OEM tool.
etc

so without further ado. here goes. I had a engine Boost pid as well which would of been nice. but I started messing with flashing the cluster and lost that in the process. If anyone has an xts with it and can share your vin maybe I can flash it and get it back.

IMG_1717[1].jpg
IMG_1718[1].jpg
IMG_1719[1].jpg
IMG_1720[1].jpg
IMG_1721[1].jpg
IMG_1722[1].jpg

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,202 Posts
Re: Man that took a long time, But damn the result is totally worth it.

Incredibly impressive again Jon, well done.

This community is going to be very thankful that you wound up in an ATS :)

·
Registered
None
132 Posts

daaaamn. I hope GM is seeing this. I love the LCD gauge cluster in my CTS

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD
406 Posts

Holy crap that's awesome

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts

Damn!! I would love how to do that or get it done. Just awesome!

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,202 Posts

Shut up and take my money.
Ha, I had a feeling that would be a popular thought on this topic :)

As Jon mentioned, its not a plug and play per se, but he's also not a vendor here so I am sure he's not going to entertain 'selling' this job to anyone. :)

Do you have a local shop that specializes in GM vehicles or a good dealer tech that you might be able to work with?
Jon will be the first to admit he is not a GM pro, but he didn't have his Caddy for long before he had to have his own MDI (using ours was not good enough ;)), and started messing with everything. Hes a pro with the DCX stuff and does this kind of thing on those cars for a living, so I expect we'll see him find some more cool, new stuff on the GMs as he familiarizes himself with these cars and how they work.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,776 Posts

Great job!

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,554 Posts

----------

Nice job man. That is probably the best visual mod I have seen here. I would love that in my car. Is the pic of an XTS behind the washer fluid warning?That's the $hit.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD
109 Posts

Now you just need to figure out a way to start selling them to members here. If you can do that, i think it would be a huge hit.

Nice work btw.

·
Registered
ATS_V _vector Blue Sedan
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually live in Florida work at diablo.

There is two possible three steps preventing that

1 need to separate the plastic shield from your original not an easy task for most. Trick is not to break it lol.
2 small modifications needed to the dash. These mods just stand for cutting away some plastic that can not be seen in anyway. And does not effect original cluster reinstall in anyway.
3 not sure but cluster has to be programmed to the car. However I'm pretty sure this can be done by me. But definitely can't just assume.

I am not trying to sell this at all. If I was I would become a supporting vendor even tho I should be added to the diablos supporting vendor area. Anyways that being said I can't even spit out a number as that would be a violation.

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T Luxury
94 Posts

This is awesome! It's one of the things that I loved about the CTS that I drove! There's so many things that I want to do to my ATS and the list just keeps getting bigger with discoveries like this haha!

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts

Anyways that being said I can't even spit out a number as that would be a violation.
Well since you are NOT offering this service I think you could certainly tell everyone what you would charge if you were :) You know just as a "if I were doing this" sort of thing.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts

I've got an XTS Cluster sitting in my closet as I was also looking into this - I was spending more time trying to trace down wiring and other issues before I got to it - but I'm glad it got done successfully. I'm super excited...

Now because there's custom flashing involved - assuming the dealer went to re-program the vehicle with a software update, I wonder if they'd know what to do... Now that you've figured it out with an OEM tool, does it require a custom bit of software? I wonder...

Next step we need to change the layout of the LCD cluster so things like a boost gauge are there by default.

NICE JOB!

G

·

There was a post in the winter 2012/2013 from a forum member in Vietnam who wanted to try this swap. I remember thinking “Dude, you’re nuts.” I was wrong and if you’re still following this forum, I apologize. Bert

·
Registered
ATS_V _vector Blue Sedan
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I've got an XTS Cluster sitting in my closet as I was also looking into this - I was spending more time trying to trace down wiring and other issues before I got to it - but I'm glad it got done successfully. I'm super excited...

Now because there's custom flashing involved - assuming the dealer went to re-program the vehicle with a software update, I wonder if they'd know what to do... Now that you've figured it out with an OEM tool, does it require a custom bit of software? I wonder...

Next step we need to change the layout of the LCD cluster so things like a boost gauge are there by default.

NICE JOB!
there is no custom programing needed.

The OEM procedure is called instrument cluster_reprogram/configure it is available on the sps website so any dealer has the access.

In my attempts to learn some things I flashed the cluster a few times. In the process I lost the boost guage. However when I first plugged it in. there was a boost pid. It seems there is more pids on the normal cluster than the xts. Like average fuel economy. This cluster just has instantaneous. however If I could get the boost guage back that would be awesome but I think on this one its lost forever. I can however purchase another off ebay as I already know it works in the car.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts