Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand FWD cars are not noted for their sportiness, handling prowess etc., but the XTS is a car designed for those that want a quiet, comfortable and smooth ride which it does quite well; the suspension is not boaty or floaty at all. I also feel the XTS' design is quite nice and really stands out in the crowd; it's also a tall car that's 5 star safety rated across the board including rollover which only a handful of other cars can claim. The auto press has not given this car a fair shake IMHO.

I'm glad Caddy is keeping this car in production to 2019 but they should have updated the trans to the 8 speed and updated the engine to the new variable displacement version that even the base V6 CTS gets for '16, which BTW has been redesigned to run much smoother from the current V6. I know GM wants to push the CT6, but with a starting price expected to be $75,000 for a four banger, I'll pass.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
X15, I agree that the XTS does not get much credit in many circles. I, obviously since I bought an XTS, do not understand why. I think its a great car.

I compared it, during test drives, to other premium luxury cars that seemed to get much higher reviews. The Hyundai Genesis is one that comes to mind. My wife and I did not care for that at all, but online reviewer go ga ga over it. The same online reviewers tend to say of the XTS, "Nice car, but for that much money, you could get a lower/smallish BMW."

For me, there's no contest.

I love the XTS and feel that it deserves a lot more praise than it gets. I feel like a king everytime I get behind the wheel and drive it. And whenever I come out of the store, from running errands, and walk back to it in the parking lot, I am struck by the fact that it is typically the best looking car on the entire lot.

I'm also excited about the upcoming CT6, which I definitely will pay a visit to the minute it arrives on my dealer's lot.

FWIW

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to mention (IMHO) the most comfortable seats in automobiledom. The seats have the perfect firmness in the foam while offering total comfort and full support. In addition the seat ventilation actually cools when the ac is on (this works best on bi-level).

Now if my dealer/GM can get my hard shifting trans to shift properly I'll keep her around or maybe even get a '16.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
X15, I agree that the XTS does not get much credit in many circles. I, obviously since I bought an XTS, do not understand why. I think its a great car.

I compared it, during test drives, to other premium luxury cars that seemed to get much higher reviews. The Hyundai Genesis is one that comes to mind. My wife and I did not care for that at all, but online reviewer go ga ga over it. The same online reviewers tend to say of the XTS, "Nice car, but for that much money, you could get a lower/smallish BMW."

For me, there's no contest.

I love the XTS and feel that it deserves a lot more praise than it gets. I feel like a king everytime I get behind the wheel and drive it. And whenever I come out of the store, from running errands, and walk back to it in the parking lot, I am struck by the fact that it is typically the best looking car on the entire lot.

FWIW
I agree completely, especially the part about seeing the car in the parking lot and the nice smooth ride.

·
Registered
2013 XTS-4 Premium
185 Posts
Nobody, and non of the ads. mention the rear seats fold down! I just love that feature and use it as a stealth SUV quite often! It looks good in the parking lot, rides quite nicely, and can swallow a 6ft ladder or similar stuff - can't beat it!

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
My XTS shifts smoothly almost all the time. There was one time, a couple months back, where things just got weird. The engine was revving up but the car wasn't accelerating. It's like the transmission got lost for a second or two. Things returned to normal within a few seconds and there haven't been any further incidents.

·
Registered
561 Posts
...but they should have updated the trans to the 8 speed...
I don't believe GM has an 8 speed transmission for the transverse mounted 3.6 V6. It's the same trans that's used in the Buick LaCrosse and the Chevrolet Impala, and probably a bunch of other GM transverse mounted applications.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
No problems shifting here either...smooth shifts all the time.

IMO, the XTS seats are THE BEST out there today! Just had a 15 SRX loaner yesterday and the seats felt like plywood just like my 2nd gen CTS.

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Premium
73 Posts
I don't get the hate either, to be honest. Over the last week, I had occasion to drive a Nissan Altima (300 miles), a Ford Focus (120 miles) and a Buick
Lacrosse (120 miles). Afterwards, when I got back into my XTS4 Premium, it felt like I was entering another world... one where the ride is smooth, where
outside environment and noise are completely nullified and where the seats envelope me in sublime comfort. It's not slow by any means (the Lacrosse was
a little quicker owing to its lower curb weight). It's certainly not ugly. It just seems like the press has unilaterally decided to pan the car.

The review that gave me the biggest laugh was the one that suggested you buy an Impala instead. "It's basically the same car," the 'expert' wrote. "And
you can get a fully loaded one for ten grand cheaper than the XTS." Yes, the Impala's a nice vehicle but, no matter how much lipstick you put on it, it'll
never be in the same league as the XTS... same goes for the Lacrosse, which I drive a lot lately, ferrying my elderly father to various medical appointments.

Don't get down, though. We're all driving vehicles that we like and that get us a lot of attention when we're out on the road/town. One twenty-something kid
said to me the other day, "Damn, that's a sexy car!" Screw the critics.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
@ Mike_W - Spot on there...I almost forgot about one of the Impala (I mean XTS) reviews. Lol, forget the badge for a second: If anyone has ever driven both, they would know right off the top what they are driving. I too laughed at that "basically the same car" comment because it's just not!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe GM has an 8 speed transmission for the transverse mounted 3.6 V6. It's the same trans that's used in the Buick LaCrosse and the Chevrolet Impala, and probably a bunch of other GM transverse mounted applications.
They don't, but they should. There's no reason the entire fwd line shouldn't be updated, let alone the xts whose resale numbers are abysmal :( , primarily due to things like the antiquated type trans etc.

·
Registered
2014 XTS-Vsport
335 Posts
In the parking lots I get the:
Sharp car, are those wheels stock, how wide are those tires, does 4 mean all wheel drive?...............oh man it's a V!?!?!

I'm done explaining the V Sport thing

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car always gets lots of stares and some have commented it looks like the Presidential car... I also like the fact the car is rather tall for a sedan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts