Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS Luxury
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I picked up a base model XT6 for a 24-hour test drive. The dealer only had two, one bare bones and one 90% loaded. They would only let me take the bare bones one even though I'm looking at one much higher end. Originally I was looking at a 2019 Escalade Premium Luxury but even though I thought it was great my wife used her veto power due to the sheer size. Got to admit it was intimidating to open the door into the garage and have this behemoth staring me in the face.

So, when I took the Escalade back I brought home the XT6 for a trial. Now granted this one has no upgrades at all but still, I found it underwhelming. Nice enough vehicle but the one I priced out was ~67,000. My first impression is that it's an XT5 that they simply added some length and width. If you look at the two side by side on the floor it's tough to tell the difference and the interior is about the same.

Still, nice enough car but it has one really bad drawback. Road noise at 80 mph on a modestly rough section of interstate is just horrible. When I take the car back to the dealer tomorrow I'm going to ask if this is just a difference between the base and premium or something that is unresolvable. My wife put it in the unacceptable category. Of course, I could not hear her complain due to the noise so she had to wait until we hit a better section of road.

I was planning on trading in my 2016 XTS but I can not in good conscience downgrade hwy performance to this extent. I'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. Baring something really positive the XT6 is no longer on the table. Next stop will be to check out the new Lincoln Aviator.

Love to hear other test drive comments.

Dick
2016 XTS

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury
593 Posts
Thanks for the post. We are considering an XT6. But as with a lot of things, the test drive will tell a lot. We like our XTS fairly well now. Thought an XT6 might be a nice crossover for my wife (has a Acadia now). Yet, Highlander, Yukon and Tahoe are also being considered also. Depending on the traveling we foresee ourselves doing, that will have a great impact on the way we might go (SUV or CUV).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yesterday I picked up a base model XT6 for a 24-hour test drive. The dealer only had two, one bare bones and one 90% loaded. They would only let me take the bare bones one even though I'm looking at one much higher end. Originally I was looking at a 2019 Escalade Premium Luxury but even though I thought it was great my wife used her veto power due to the sheer size. Got to admit it was intimidating to open the door into the garage and have this behemoth staring me in the face.

So, when I took the Escalade back I brought home the XT6 for a trial. Now granted this one has no upgrades at all but still, I found it underwhelming. Nice enough vehicle but the one I priced out was ~67,000. My first impression is that it's an XT5 that they simply added some length and width. If you look at the two side by side on the floor it's tough to tell the difference and the interior is about the same.

Still, nice enough car but it has one really bad drawback. Road noise at 80 mph on a modestly rough section of interstate is just horrible. When I take the car back to the dealer tomorrow I'm going to ask if this is just a difference between the base and premium or something that is unresolvable. My wife put it in the unacceptable category. Of course, I could not hear her complain due to the noise so she had to wait until we hit a better section of road.

I was planning on trading in my 2016 XTS but I can not in good conscience downgrade hwy performance to this extent. I'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. Baring something really positive the XT6 is no longer on the table. Next stop will be to check out the new Lincoln Aviator.

Dick
2016 XTS
The upgraded version of the Infotainment System (available with Nav and/or Platinum Package) has ANC - Active Noise Cancellation. The 2019 Escalade also has it.

"The XT6 uses computer-generated active noise cancellation to help remove annoying noise and vibration from the passenger compartment, especially at low frequencies."

·
Registered
2016 XTS Luxury
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday I took the XT6 back to the dealer and talked to them about the unacceptable road noise. What I was told was that the premium package would not resolve the issue and that the issue was likely a combination of the short wheelbase and all the open space. I said that's a shame but if they could prove the premium package would resolve the issue let me know and I would reopen discussions. No mention was made of ANC which is interesting. So either it doesn't have it or the dealer is unaware. But I'm not about to take a chance and order one without definitive proof.

Of course, being a good salesperson, I was led to a new Buick Enclave Avenir. Not bad at all. Not a Cadillac but a really nice car. She said, "Take it home for a couple of days and give it a try". So I did.

I must say it's got all the features of the Cadillac except the HUD but, of course, not the refinement. Rides better and no significant road noise on, what has become, my own little test track. Quite a bit larger with a 122" wheelbase vs. the XT6 112" Also about 5 inches longer and a touch wider. Since it's a 2019 vs a 2020 there are good financial incentives which translates to about 20K less than the XT6.

Still, it's not a Cadillac and does not make the Caddy statement so I'm somewhat torn.

It's a shame Cadillac didn't use the Enclave as their platform for the XT6 and make it closer to the Escalade.

Still mulling it over and I haven't looked at the Lincoln yet. Perhaps tomorrow.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury
593 Posts
From what I understand, the XT6 is built on an Acadia frame, which is shorter than the Enclave and Traverse. I am guessing that the XT6 is tailored to empty nesters or grandparents on the go (granskids from time to time).

·
Registered
2016 XTS Luxury
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you are correct. Another thing I noticed was the entry into the rear seat was a bit tough. My knee kept hitting the B pillar. Our friends have an Audi Q7 and the XT6 is not in the same category no matter the hype. Close but no cigar.

We're going to hit Lexus, Lincoln, and BMW tomorrow and check out their offerings. Maybe even Volvo. Perhaps if my wife gets tired of all the looking she will capitulate on an Escalade.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Dick
2016 XTS
Drove one a couple of days ago... premium finishes. No road noise at all. Ordered a Sport, loaded up pretty heavy. Coming from a 2016 Yukon Denali XL. Can’t wait for the change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Drove one a couple of days ago... premium finishes. No road noise at all. Ordered a Sport, loaded up pretty heavy. Coming from a 2016 Yukon Denali XL. Can’t wait for the change.
I ordered a Premium Luxury AWD, loaded to the gills about 10 days ago.

Coming from a 2015i Escalade.

I test drove a Premium Luxury FWD and an AWD. I like the handling and feel of the AWD best.

No road noise at all.

Should be about 8-10 weeks to get it.

From the Detroit Free Press (Aug 1):

"Built on a stretched version of the compact unibody chassis that undergirds the two-row XT5, the XT6 feels as you’d expect it would — like an athletic, upsized version of the popular XT5. That will be especially good news to parents who always wanted a three-row Cadillac but thought the truck-based, blingtastic Escalade was more suited for Gronk to take his New England Patriots mates to practice than their kids’ soccer team to a game.

Where the Escalade intimidates, the XT6 invites.

Determined to separate the XT6 from the Escalade but still offer the latter’s living space, veteran Caddy engineer John Plonke and his team chose the smaller XT5 platform over the long-wheelbase C1XX platform that the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia share.
"

I love the Escalade that I currently drive, however it is large, and you really have to look for the correct parking spot. It is also very large in the garage.

The XT6 is 5.4" shorter than the Escalade. It'll give me a little more room in the garage.

·
Registered
19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 13/14 Escalade Platinum
677 Posts
Tried the sport.. loaded 73500 cad here, have a black one here at my dealer.
No road noise here and was a AWD.
Would it replace my Escalade, No!
Really like the old school tach and the speedometer lol.
Dial and buttons on lower console radio/nav controls take some getting used to but better than reaching for the screen.
Deep pocket for charging the phone.
The 3rd row headrests are a pain but they can be lowered. For those familiar with the center headrest on the 1st gen srx will know what I mean.
All the seats in the 2nd and 3rd row are motorized. Providing of course you remember to move front seats forward or headrests hit the rear of the seats. 3rd headrests tumble forward.. Good for the kids but I would not sit back there.
I spend 100 percent driving so...
I would say 8/10

·
Registered
2013 SRX (sold) 2017 XT5 Dark Granite / Jet Black
284 Posts
Of course, being a good salesperson, I was led to a new Buick Enclave Avenir. Not bad at all. Not a Cadillac but a really nice car. She said, "Take it home for a couple of days and give it a try". So I did.

I must say it's got all the features of the Cadillac except the HUD but, of course, not the refinement. Rides better and no significant road noise on, what has become, my own little test track. Quite a bit larger with a 122" wheelbase vs. the XT6 112" Also about 5 inches longer and a touch wider. Since it's a 2019 vs a 2020 there are good financial incentives which translates to about 20K less than the XT6.
Yesterday I drove a new 2019 Enclave Avenir and just want to add that there is no motorized sunshades for the double sunroof, no rainsense wiper, much lower sound quality from the Bose system than in my XT5 and a lot more noisy than XT5 when you pass a van on the highway. It was a no go for me !

·
Registered
cts
8 Posts

Dick
2016 XTS
I drove both the premium luxury and the sport and thought that the sport model seemed a little more insulated, quieter.. mine also had a towing package which I don't know if it contributed to the responsiveness of the throttle and may have been geared lower but I'm not sure if there are any changes in the gearing if the car was ordered with a towing package or not. But after driving the sport I ruled the premium luxury out it (sport) just felt more solid, and quieter I guess due to the transmission and the active suspension which I have on my xt5 Platinum. I never thought that this suspension made that much of a difference but driving the premium luxury and the sport side-by-side I can definitely notice a difference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts