Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my XT6 for just a year. The rearview camera always stays dark when backing out of the garage. Started the day after I got the car. Have had it in a few times and was told that there is no current fix for this problem. This is my 13 Cadillac and have never had a problem last this long. The chirping brakes only took 6 months to fix. Too much metal in the brake pads. Cadillac does not usually take this long to fix a problem that so many have at the same time. Going in thisTuesday and will bring it up again. Will keep you posted.

· Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 2021 XT6 back from scheduled service and one of my service needs was what you have stated about dark view backing out of a garage. This is the 3rd time I have requested this issue be addressed and, as with previous service visits, it was reported this was working as designed with no TSB addressing the issue. IMHO this is a BIG Safety issue that GM needs to fix. I almost backed over a toddler on a tricycle backing out of my garage a couple weeks ago! Only thing that prevented it from happening was the backup sensor made my drivers seat vibrate and I could see the yellow warning sign (but no toddler who was only visible after clearing the rear of my XT6. To get a bright and clear image I have to stop, once out of the garage, and put XT6 into P and then into R which turns off the dark view. Or, I simply continue to back the XT6 in the dark mode and once into D the issue clears.

GM, please do something about this fault. As an FYI all the non-GM loaner cars I have been provided by the dealership during my service visits do not have this safety issue when backing out of my garage.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got my 2021 XT6 back from scheduled service and one of my service needs was what you have stated about dark view backing out of a garage. This is the 3rd time I have requested this issue be addressed and, as with previous service visits, it was reported this was working as designed with no TSB addressing the issue. IMHO this is a BIG Safety issue that GM needs to fix. I almost backed over a toddler on a tricycle backing out of my garage a couple weeks ago! Only thing that prevented it from happening was the backup sensor made my drivers seat vibrate and I could see the yellow warning sign (but no toddler who was only visible after clearing the rear of my XT6. To get a bright and clear image I have to stop, once out of the garage, and put XT6 into P and then into R which turns off the dark view. Or, I simply continue to back the XT6 in the dark mode and once into D the issue clears.

GM, please do something about this fault. As an FYI all the non-GM loaner cars I have been provided by the dealership during my service visits do not have this safety issue when backing out of my garage.
I am still having the same issue with my 2021 XT6 rear view camera not switching to daylight mode for about 15 seconds. I have now received a Safety Recall notice from Cadillac that GM has decided that a defet which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2021 model year Cadillac XT6 vehicles equipped with the optional Surround Vision feature. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. Apoligize for the inconvenience. Concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products. GM safety recall N222378380. Parts not currently available. Working as quickly as possible to correct this condition.

Only had this problem since I purchased the 2021 Cadillac XT6 in June of 2021. Check the status of this recall at Https://my.gm.com/recalls. So far ... Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE
Will wait a little while longer and then see what is next

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am still having the same issue with my 2021 XT6 rear view camera not switching to daylight mode for about 15 seconds. I have now received a Safety Recall notice from Cadillac that GM has decided that a defet which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2021 model year Cadillac XT6 vehicles equipped with the optional Surround Vision feature. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. Apoligize for the inconvenience. Concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products. GM safety recall N222378380. Parts not currently available. Working as quickly as possible to correct this condition.

Only had this problem since I purchased the 2021 Cadillac XT6 in June of 2021. Check the status of this recall at Https://my.gm.com/recalls. So far ... Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE
Will wait a little while longer and then see what is next

· Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,655 Posts
There is a whole thread about dark backup cameras for XT5s. The recall only involves some 2020-2021 GM models with Surround Vision. Has to do with a cable failure which causes NO camera images. The darkness is related to a programming issue, not recognizing ambient brightness and adjusting quick enough.
The recall I suspect will not address the darkness problem as the darkness also affects backup cameras that do not have surround vision.

I wouldn't hold my breath lewis293. Unless enough people complain to the government about the safety issue to trigger a recall for this issue.

Max

· Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue on my 2020 XT6 since new and both the dealer and Cadillac have been useless getting the issue resolved, they claim it is working as designed however a screen so dark you cannot see is unacceptable and dangerous. I agree with Max and do not believe the recall will fix this issue. Time to move on from Cadillac with their extremely poor service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts