Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 has had a very low level drone since new over a year and a half ago. Lately it has become more irritating and I finally relented and took it to the dealer. They found the RH Engine Mount has excessive play.

I looked at it closer and see an oily film on the mount which has apparently leaked greatly reducing the damping of the vibrations which increase in V4 Mode.

The RH Engine Mount is below the air filter.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
3,120 Posts
Good diagnosis find by your Dealer. Hopefully once fixed you won`t have the drone.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RH engine mount was replaced this morning. The dealer felt there continues to be a noise and referred to TAC. Meanwhile, I took the car home and I no longer hear the drone or feel vibrations. After further road-test, I did hear a very slight drone that actually may be an interaction with the ANC. Perhaps more driving is needed for the ANC to fully learn the noises from the engine.

The dealer will call me when they hear back from TAC, but in the meantime, I am pleased with the improvement made by changing the engine mount.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you driven any distance with the fuel economy or trip windows that have the V6/V4 icon? I did not think my 2017 switched to V4 very much until I drove my daily route with one of those displays. I was amazed how much time AFM activated V4 while traveling at less than 45 mph.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over the past month, the drone/vibration has been reduced by the new engine mount, but not eliminated. My wife has sensitive hearing and the sound bothers her ears. So...back to the dealer.

After extensive diagnosis with Cadillac Engineers, the dealer and engineers claimed all newer XT5's do the same thing. However, my dealer did offer to change the valve rocker arms on the AFM cylinders. There are 4 rockers for each of the two AFM cylinders. I took them up on the offer and had the rockers changed. That change fixed the issue and now with the new engine mount and the new AFM rockers, my AFM is as smooth and quiet as it was on my 2017.

An article from TechLink describes the diagnosis:

·
Registered
2020 XT5 Platinum in Red Horizon Tintcoat and Maple Sugar interior
770 Posts
My 2020 exhibits the same low level slight drone when in V4 mode however I wouldn't describe it as a ticking or knocking sound. I've driven other new ones and they have all done the same thing. My g/f's 2017 doesn't however not sure what the actual cause is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts