Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
XT4 RED SPORT
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I went outside to move my XT5 and I couldn't put my XT5 into Drive. I was able to move into Neutral and Reverse. I tried turning off the XT5 and restarting it several times. I backed it up and still the shift knob would not move backwards to go into drive. I called OnStar but they were not able to connect to do a diagnostic check. I finally called my dealer and the service manager told me that this issue was something that he never heard about. He told me to call Roadside Assistance. A guy came out under two hours and towed my XT5 to the dealership.

The dealer picked me up after work and took me back to get what I thought would be a loaner.... so I thought. I got there and my XT5 was fixed and washed and ready for me to take home! :D

I am very pleased with the service and quickness of getting my XT5 back. They said they had to replace the shifter and everything is now fine. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
So it physically would not move? That sounds like a physical problem in the shifter mechanism itself. Probably some plastic bit broken inside of it.

·
Registered
2017 xt5
63 Posts
Assuming there was no announcement on the DIC, were you not able to move the shifter in either direction?

Also though, assuming that you got it back the same day???, does it seem reasonable that the dealer would have a special order part like the shifter assembly in stock? As usual, I know I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
It does seem a bit odd that the dealer would just happen to have the shifter in stock, but I guess it's possible. Maybe they keep one on hand, just in case.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium Luxury FWD
134 Posts
Wow, that's not comforting to know. I've never been a fan of this new fangled shifter. Whats wrong with an old fashioned linkage shift?

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,765 Posts
Wow, that's not comforting to know. I've never been a fan of this new fangled shifter. Whats wrong with an old fashioned linkage shift?
Luckily, I think this is a really rare failure. None of us here have heard of it.
To answer your other question, electric gear shift is one step closer to self driving vehicles. Shift by wire, throttle by wire, steer by wire, brake by wire...all heading towards self driving vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
And Super Cruise by model year 2020 in all Cadillac's. The car will be watching the driver for drowsiness and lack of attention.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
There are several advantages to electronic shifters. They save weight (which is all important now in terms of fuel economy) and they also help with cabin ergonomics. If you have a traditional linkage shifter, you wouldn't have that nice big stowage compartment under the center console. And of course as others have pointed out, it's necessary for autonomous driving vehicles. I think few auto makers are doing these well. The XT5's is OK. Honda/Acura's weird row of buttons is just plain annoying.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
343 Posts
I dislike the shifter because it's not that easy to get into reverse. I like that it's electronic for the reasons stated above. I've driven other cars such as a Chrysler 300S from 2015 that has an electronic shift that is a dial that you turn to the mode you want. That's much easier and quicker to engage.

·
Registered
2020 XT6 PREMIUM LUXURY
140 Posts
I dislike the shifter because it's not that easy to get into reverse.
I like the shifter on the XT5 because it is very easy to shift into reverse and looks good. I don't understand anyone having issues with the shifter once they understand how to push the side button, push up and over. Same pattern used for any stick shift vehicle, only easier.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
343 Posts
I have to disagree with you about the look of it. It looks out of place on a modern car. I'm 62 years old and have driven a stick shift maybe 5 times in my life, and that was years ago. Though I thought it was fun back then, probably in the late 1970s, I also realized it would be a really inconvenient to have to do so full time.

I'd prefer something modern looking such as push buttons like used on the Lincoln Continental.

I'm curious when you last drove a stick shift. I expect for most Cadillac XT5 drivers today none have ever driven a stick shift.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
I have had no problems learning the proper movement to put the car in reverse or any other gear, but about 3rd time I use the shifter, it tells me to press the button, even though I did press it. I am not sure of the button is just not responsive enough, or maybe I am doing the maneuver so quickly that it does not recognize that the button is pressed as I move the handle. Either way, that is annoying to me.

As for cars that use buttons or dials for selecting a gear, those have their own issues. My father has a Ram truck with the dial and it works well, but you really can't change gears without having to look down at the dial. Part of that is where it's located on the dash. We test drove an Acura MDX and it's push buttons were just confounding. They made no sense, and you have to really watch what you were doing to press the correct one. My wife's previous car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had an electronic shifter similar to the XT5's except that it had not longitudinal movement - it was strictly lateral. You pressed a button and then moved the shifter through the gear with as many "clicks" as a traditional hardwired shifter would take, but when you release it, the know would snap back to center. Other than that, it would easily be mistaken for a hardwired shifter. I think my favorite electronic shifter is on our ML350. It's column mounted, so you can flick it with your finger: Up for reverse, down for drive, and a button on the end for park. Though like the XT5', we never the park button as it automatically shifts into park when the engine is shut off.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
343 Posts
I find the same thing with the XT5 shifter. It's like the software hasn't fully loaded to accept signals from the shifter. I start the car and try to get into reverse right away and nothing happens. If I wait a few seconds the shifter is more responsive and it gets the car into reverse. As far as push buttons or knobs, I have no problem looking at the knob or button so I can see what I am doing. It takes less time than maneuvering the XT5 shifter.

·
Registered
2020 XT6 PREMIUM LUXURY
140 Posts
Instead of the subject being "shifter issue" it should be "operator error" in most cases, except for MARC NY which was a mechanical failure of some sort.

Most buyers should be required to read and somewhat understand the owners manual before being allowed to purchase a car otherwise sigh an agreement not to bitch or moan on any public forum when they cannot figure out how something works and blames the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2017 xt5
63 Posts
Disagree... Manufacturers should take the time to create stuff that is user intuitive and that functions within the average timing parameters of the average customer when those customers are using the shifter subconsciously.

I know exactly how that shifter is supposed to be used and I'm a total geek and computer everything, but this shifter defies me at times and it's frustrating.

They needed to test the shifter with the average person under everyday conditions...

·
Registered
Previously 13 SRX & 17 XT5 Platinum. Now Tesla Model 3.
146 Posts
Have the same shifter in my XT5 Platinum, and my wife's '18 Enclave. They're just fine, no complaints here. Took about 3 shifts to get used to it when we first got the vehicles, but it's fine. It's completely passed the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF), so I know it's well done. :)

·
Registered
2020 XT6 PREMIUM LUXURY
140 Posts
Disagree... Manufacturers should take the time to create stuff that is user intuitive and that functions within the average timing parameters of the average customer when those customers are using the shifter subconsciously.

I know exactly how that shifter is supposed to be used and I'm a total geek and computer everything, but this shifter defies me at times and it's frustrating.

They needed to test the shifter with the average person under everyday conditions...
I am 100% sure they did all the testing with the average person in mind. Sorry to say, it appears you didn't make the cut.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
I find the same thing with the XT5 shifter. It's like the software hasn't fully loaded to accept signals from the shifter. I start the car and try to get into reverse right away and nothing happens. If I wait a few seconds the shifter is more responsive and it gets the car into reverse.
I think you may be right. I sometimes have a similar issue with the electronic parking brake where it tells me that I must have my foot on the brake pedal to release it, yet the brake pedal is depress - My foot has been there since starting the engine and shifting out of park. I guess I'm just moving faster than the car's electronics can handle.

Instead of the subject being "shifter issue" it should be "operator error" in most cases, except for MARC NY which was a mechanical failure of some sort.

Most buyers should be required to read and somewhat understand the owners manual before being allowed to purchase a car otherwise sigh an agreement not to bitch or moan on any public forum when they cannot figure out how something works and blames the manufacturer.
This isn't operator error. I know EXACTLY how to operate the shifter. It just does not properly recognize that I have performed the required operation. I'm not complaining about the PROPER operation of the shifter. I am complaining that the shifter does not always operate as it's supposed to. If the owner's manual stated something to the effect of, "you need to wait a few seconds after starting the engine before the car will recognize the shifter inputs," then I'd say it's operator error. But the manual doesn't state that. I have read the manual, followed its instructions and it does not always work properly, so I have every right to bitch and moan. :)

·
Registered
2017 xt5
63 Posts
This isn't operator error. I know EXACTLY how to operate the shifter. It just does not properly recognize that I have performed the required operation. I'm not complaining about the PROPER operation of the shifter. I am complaining that the shifter does not always operate as it's supposed to. If the owner's manual stated something to the effect of, "you need to wait a few seconds after starting the engine before the car will recognize the shifter inputs," then I'd say it's operator error. But the manual doesn't state that. I have read the manual, followed its instructions and it does not always work properly, so I have every right to bitch and moan. :)
:yup:Be careful, this guy will say anything to make a point, no matter how illogical...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts