Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1:
I just purchased a pre-owned 2017 XT5 (Platinum). The voltage indicates 14.8 and I'm concerned that this may be an over-voltage condition for the battery.
Do I have a regulator problem? Indicator problem?
I presume the battery is sealed, and I cannot tell if the cells have been overcharged, nor can I test the specific gravity of the acid.

#2:
My rear camera is out of focus and blurry when I notice object further than 20 feet away.
However, they come into focus if I back up and about 2-3 feet away, almost perfectly clear.
Do I have a defective camera? Can the focus be adjusted?

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,697 Posts
I also have a 2017 XT5 Platinum which I purchased new in 2016 when they were introduced.

Your charging voltage is normal. You have an AGM battery that cares for the current requirements of operation with start/stop allowing voltage to discharge well below 12.5 volts and charge back up to 14.8 volts.

The description of your camera experience sounds like mine as well.

There have been several updates for the ECM and TCM. Check with your dealer if the latest have been applied and if not, get them while still under warranty.

I love my Platinum and hope you are enjoying operation as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a 2017 XT5 Platinum which I purchased new in 2016 when they were introduced.

Your charging voltage is normal. You have an AGM battery that cares for the current requirements of operation with start/stop allowing voltage to discharge well below 12.5 volts and charge back up to 14.8 volts.

The description of your camera experience sounds like mine as well.

There have been several updates for the ECM and TCM. Check with your dealer if the latest have been applied and if not, get them while still under warranty.

I love my Platinum and hope you are enjoying operation as well.
Thank you for both comments. I'm still under warranty, and have only 19,000 miles on my Platinum. I'm thrilled about all the gadgets, and I just got the Android Auto working tonight!
I'm getting my 1st service next week and I'll definitely get the update applied. Thank you, again!

·
Registered
XT5
485 Posts
Android Auto requires a cable connection. Some universal cables are inadequate. Same is true with Car Play where the cheap Lightning cables sometimes melt.
I usually see 14.5 but voltage can be expected to vary with the load.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Android Auto requires a cable connection. Some universal cables are inadequate. Same is true with Car Play where the cheap Lightning cables sometimes melt.
I usually see 14.5 but voltage can be expected to vary with the load.
Thank you. Yes, indeed. Cable works fine (factory OEM cable that is!).
But I don't have the wireless charging I see in the manual (Platinum trim). I slide the phone in right side up or up side down, and it will not charge. It must have a cable plugged in to charge. Hmm???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't all 2017 XT5 Platinum's have wireless charging for Android phones. Mine is Note 9 and I have the wireless charger at home and works fine.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,718 Posts
Don't all 2017 XT5 Platinum's have wireless charging for Android phones. Mine is Note 9 and I have the wireless charger at home and works fine.
Yes, I think all XT5s have wireless charging but you may need the Gen 2 retrofit kit for your Note 9 to work.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
259 Posts
Mine isn't a Platinum, and it has wireless charging. My S8 usually charges fine through its case, but I have to fiddle with it to find just the right spot in the charging slot. Without its case, it starts charging as soon as it's in the slot. The Note 9 might have its charging coil in a spot that doesn't line up well with the slot's coil.

I would use Android Auto if it didn't require a cable.

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
616 Posts
The wireless charging doesn't work in either my XT5 or CTS when my Otterbox case is on. If I take the case off they both work, but aren't the fastest. I travel a lot and live on Android Auto, Waze and Google Maps are so much better than built in nav. And I get my streaming audio and playlists. I got tired of plugging in the cables, so I bought a magnetic quick connect cable set and it works very well. Just takes a second to quick connect the cable and away I go. $20 for three cables, and they are excellent quality, no connection issues and they charge fast. I'll link to the product from Amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XQ7CPZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the backup cam goes, it is ok, but certainly not the sharpest resolution. My 18 CTS has a horrendous backup cam resolution, at night it's almost useless. With the price of these cars, and how cheap an HD cam is these days, wonder why they just don't put HD cams in these vehicles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine isn't a Platinum, and it has wireless charging. My S8 usually charges fine through its case, but I have to fiddle with it to find just the right spot in the charging slot. Without its case, it starts charging as soon as it's in the slot. The Note 9 might have its charging coil in a spot that doesn't line up well with the slot's coil.

I tried without the case, too. No luck. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts