Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a crack in my windshield on the bottom left (passanger) side. The crack starts at the very bottom of the windshield and there is no divot in the crack, which leads me to believe a rock or stone didn't start the crack.
The XT% is 2017 and has 25,000 miles on it, so it is still under warranty. Would the windshield be fixed under the warranty?

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,993 Posts
No, but your comprehensive insurance should cover it

·
Registered
2016 SRX Premium- Black on Black
69 Posts
First off; to determine what the warranty covers you should either check your warranty manual or better yet just contact the dealer.

As for a cracked windshield; I doubt the warranty will cover it but your insurance likely does.

·
Registered
2013 SRX FWD Luxury
62 Posts
I disagree about the warranty coverage. A stress crack is a warrantable repair. If a close examination reveals a stone chip then you have to go to your insurance company. If there is no chip then it is considered a stress crack. Use a magnifying glass to examine the crack.
Your warranty says "The entire vehicle is warranted against defects" If it does not exclude the glass then it is covered for defects.

·
Registered
2016 SRX Premium- Black on Black
69 Posts
I disagree about the warranty coverage. A stress crack is a warrantable repair.
A "stress crack" would only be covered under warranty if the windshield is proven to be defective from the factory.

If the vehicle was a few months old then maybe a good argument can be made that the crack was due to a factory defect.
However with a vehicle that's ~2 years old it's very unlikely that if there was a glass defect it would take this long to show up.

Stress cracks (if that's what this is) are typically caused by extreme changes is the temperature of the glass.
For example by pouring hot water on a iced up windshield or sometimes even a cold AC on defrost can cause a crack on a hot windshield.

As noted; the OP is best to contact the dealer and inquire if it's covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I discovered a crack in my windshield on the bottom left (passanger) side. The crack starts at the very bottom of the windshield and there is no divot in the crack, which leads me to believe a rock or stone didn't start the crack.
The XT% is 2017 and has 25,000 miles on it, so it is still under warranty. Would the windshield be fixed under the warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The EXACT same thing happened to me. Crack just showed up one morning starting at the passenger bottom side of the windshield (and 25,000 miles) Was not there when it was parked in the garage the night before. Hopefully more people will note similar problem. $500 deductible on a $515 replacement, good luck unless recall.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,993 Posts
Compreshensive insurance is so inexpensive, I don't understand why people carry such a high $500) deductible . The difference between a $500 deductible and a $50 deductible is less than $100 a year.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The EXACT same thing happened to me. Crack just showed up one morning starting at the passenger bottom side of the windshield (and 25,000 miles) Was not there when it was parked in the garage the night before. Hopefully more people will note similar problem. $500 deductible on a $515 replacement, good luck unless recall.
I had mine replaced. $500 deductible. Glass installer did say that my glass was "stuffed" into one side of the windshield.

·
Registered
10 SRX
407 Posts
I had mine replaced. $500 deductible. Glass installer did say that my glass was "stuffed" into one side of the windshield.
REALLY? I was going to say I didn't believe in a stress crack or didn't even know the term existed, but maybe I'm wrong? It seems to me the windshield simply floats on a rubber caulk, it doesn't twist with the car and is very isolated from the rest of the car no? Last time I had a winshield replaced was about 10 yrs ago on a Grand Cherokee. A dealer didn't do the repairs, a guy came to my house and replaced it in about 1 hour with a cost of about $175. Perfect job, no difference, just $300 more in my pocket than you guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts