Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD - Thunder Gray
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just purchased a loaded 2009 CTS that has the Nav system. (Love the car!) But I'm wondering about the weather information shown when you press the 'Info' button. Since we get XM for free for the first 3 months, I have to ask a few questions so when this free service runs out, I can make an informed decision on what to do.

- I believe the signal comes from the XM service, but is it part of the XM Radio service, or is there a seperate service from XM for just the weather information? (Basically, what would I have to subscribe to if we wanted keep the weather information?)

- Since we live in a fairly small town, we have no use for XM radio at all. (Especially with all the MP3's I've copied over.) However, when the 3 months runs out, is it possible to still retain the weather service from XM for a reduced fee and not have the radio part of XM, or do I have to be XM radio subscriber for the full monthly fee to be able to get the weather info.

- And most important, I would say 60% of the time, when I press the "Info" button to bring up weather info, it is blank! It simply states that it is 'searching' but never comes up with any info. Or if I look at the Extended Forecast, it just shows 'No data'. And on one occasion, the extended forecast being shown was for a town that was about 200 miles away! Do others experience these long and frequent periods where there is no data, or the data is wrong? The reception of weather information so far for us has been extremely unacceptable and I can't imagine paying for this poor of a service if this is as good as it gets! I have to admit though that I like this option in the car, but only if I can get it for a reduced price since XM Radio itself isn't for us and also we would only want it if the darn information was actually available "every" time we pushed the button AND it was information for the town we live in! So I'm wondering about the experience that others have had with this.

Thank you for any info provided.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
The weather is part of XM's NAVtraffic service. It is a separate monthly charge over and above the normal XM Service. I can't tell you whether or not you can get it as a separate service, if you don't subscribe to the music service. I didn't noticed it on their website but it may be buried somewhere. You can also call XM to find out. I can tell you that when I purchased my 09 last August, this service worked in the car for about a month, if I recall. I called Cadillac and they informed me that this service was not included in the three months of free XM service. I guess one way to check to see if you are still getting the service is to see if you are also getting the traffic info on your nav system. In my car, it takes about 10-15 minutes for the weather to get updated. To be honest, the weather portion isn't as useful to me as the traffic part of the package. I think it may also depend upon where you live as well as to how local your weather is going to be. If you go to the XM website, it will tell you what the coverage areas are for the NAVTraffic. I have posted the link here: http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc (hopefully it work for you).

Hope this helps a bit..

John

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I don't have the Nav system but I do subscribe to XM. Here in Tampa there is a channel that gives constant weather and traffic info 24/7. this service is only available for major markets but it is available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info John.

I'm surprised (and frustrated) at how little information I can seem to find at this point. My dealer wasn't really up to speed on the traffic/weather service from XM and the XM website is almost useless for this too. The Cadillac website too has no information available. I've emailed XM with some questions so I'll see if that helps me out.

I live in such a small town in a rural state there is no traffic information for any city in my state, so I can't check that. The frustrating thing is that I can (sometimes) get weather info, but most of the times not. If this is as good as the service gets, then it's not worth having and I have to wonder why it's even part of the NAV radio, but hopefully there's another reason for this.

Keith

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
According to the XM website:

XM NavWeather Pricing

Get discounted rates when you combine XM Radio with XM NavWeather service. For further discounts combine XM Radio, XM NavWeather, and XM NavTraffic. See below for details.

XM Radio Only $12.95 monthly
XM Radio + XM NavWeather $16.94 monthly
XM Radio + XM NavWeather + XM NavTraffic $19.95 monthly
XM NavWeather Only $9.95 monthly​
I can understand you not needing XM radio if you have an extensive MP3 collection, but what does a small town have to do with it? XM Radio has the same channels nationwide. (unless you were talking about the specific channels that provide traffic information for specific metropolitan areas).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the XM website:

I can understand you not needing XM radio if you have an extensive MP3 collection, but what does a small town have to do with it? XM Radio has the same channels nationwide. (unless you were talking about the specific channels that provide traffic information for specific metropolitan areas).
Hi Zymurgy. With regards to the small town reference, what's the point of subscribing to a radio service when I can drive to work in less time than it takes to play a single song? I've had XM radio in the past, and honestly I would only hear songs I really liked part of the time, so the odds of me hearing a song I want to listen to on the radio while driving to or from work are pretty slim. Not really getting any benefit for the service in my situation. Now if I had a 45 minute commute to work, then of course it would be a different story.

Keith

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
Hi Zymurgy. With regards to the small town reference, what's the point of subscribing to a radio service when I can drive to work in less time than it takes to play a single song? I've had XM radio in the past, and honestly I would only hear songs I really liked part of the time, so the odds of me hearing a song I want to listen to on the radio while driving to or from work are pretty slim. Not really getting any benefit for the service in my situation. Now if I had a 45 minute commute to work, then of course it would be a different story.

Keith
Thanks, I get it now. Never thought of a commute that short!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS, Lincoln MKX
58 Posts
I subscribed to XM with traffic and weather service for the first year. But I had the same concerns as you regarding the weather info. When it came time to renew, I renewed just XM which has both a traffic and weather channel for the area I live in. I don't get the live traffic screens, just radio updates. On the other hand, I don't miss the weather screens which sometimes weren't even there when I wanted them. Glad you enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I subscribed to XM with traffic and weather service for the first year. But I had the same concerns as you regarding the weather info. When it came time to renew, I renewed just XM which has both a traffic and weather channel for the area I live in. I don't get the live traffic screens, just radio updates. On the other hand, I don't miss the weather screens which sometimes weren't even there when I wanted them. Glad you enjoy your new car.
Hi train55. I do love the new car! And thanks for the info. I don't have traffic/weather channel for my town so I have emailed XM with some questions, but the reply I got back said they need my radio id and they didn't answer any of my questions! Since my questions were simply generic ones about the service itself, the quality of service, missing weather info most of the time, and the cost, they clearly didn't need my radio id to answer how it should work or the cost, but I replied with my radio id and requested they answer my questions about the weather service. Haven't heard back yet, but hopefully I will.

I'm thinking that since I do get weather data sometimes that it is part of the initial 3 free months. I wouldn't buy the service without first being able to try it out, but if what I'm seeing so far is a typical indication of how it works, then the XM weather service is probably not worth subscribing to. Maybe if I just knew how the darn service actually worked that wold help. I mean, maybe they only transmit weather data every 15 minutes or something. But since the car has a built in hard drive, I'd think it could continously receive the weather data stream and always have the last report stored for instant recall. (At least that's how I would have designed it.) But it seems it has to try to find and then download the weather info everytime you press the 'Info' button. Hopefully I'll get some useful info in a reply from them though and go from there.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
emailing XM can be a very frustrating experience.....speaking from that..having been a customer for more than 5 years now.....

the weather service is part of the 3 month free trial....but as you have noticed....its not an instant on service....mine usually takes 10-15 minutes to get an update once I start the car, get out of the garage and regain the signal....

I have found the weather updates focuses on the closest major city.....in my travels up and down the east coast.....the weather update normally goes to the closest city...usually within 20-30 miles of my current location, unless near a major metro area.... DC, Richmond, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte etc, but I do get a lot of the smaller cities in between these location as well. Depending on your location, and how far you normally drive, the weather service may not be a worthwhile service.......we do a great deal of highway driving and road trips....so I do find it a useful tool...

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
I have the weather bundled with traffic for the Nav. The traffic updates very quickly, but he weather can take a while. Extended forecast takes longer. In most places, this is logical, because you already have an idea about the current weather, but traffic info along your route is more immediately needed for possible alternate routing. The traffic info alone is worth the extra money for me, as it has saved me a lot of time being stuck in traffic jams. The best thing about the weather part IMO is the weather alerts. We have had some severe weather this spring, and there have been some tornado and severe thunderstorm alerts that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. On long trips, the system also supplies weather along the way, which was also useful. Too bad we don;t get weather maps like Lincoln has. In smaller towns without the service, and without bad traffic, I don;t think I would bother, either, unless I took the car on trips to bigger cities, where it could still prove useful.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
You have to be a subscriber to XM to be able to get any of the other services,

My XM is running out the end of the month and they have called me 2x selling a 3 months extension for $20. I declined 4x, like you I am in a small area and rarely in the car for more than 30 min so its not worth the cost. I was an XM subscriber for 4 yrs in 2 vehicles but it was just a waste of $$. Its just like cable, you may only listen to a few channels and you are paying for channels you will never listen to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts