Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a relatively new 2005 STS V8. I live in a somewhat rural area where the roads have tree growth on each side. In fact even some of the state highways also have adjoining tree growth. My XM is very sensitive to the local enviornment and has caused numerous dropouts (no signal). I have reached the point where I no longer use XM. However, my wife has a 2004 Cadillac DHS that absolutely has no problems while traveling over the same roads that I do.
Anyone else having XM problems on their STS?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have had STS ten months – use XM all the time – great stuff – only one dropout ever. That was in a deep valley. Have even driven through forests with heavy tree growth with no problem. Me thinks your unit needs repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Chip,

Thanks for the reply. I have an appointment on Monday and if it's OK with you I'm taking your reply in with me. They already put a new unit in my STS and I still have the same problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2006 and live in New England with many treed roads and experience the same problem. If it can't see the satelite it will drop out but come back quickly when in the open. Still nothing like it on long trips, so much variety and no searching for signals and no drop outs on open highways.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
XM uses ground based "repeaters" that help the signal in areas with obstructions like buildings. Unfortunately you'll find this mostly in urban areas. If you are out in the boonies you pretty much have to rely on line of sight with the satellites.

Are the antennas similar on your two vehicles you were talking about? The newer low profile smaller antennas may not be quite so good with reception in that particular area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts