Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an XM tuner from a 2007 CTS (salvage car) for use in my 2005 CTS-V, hoping that the updated design would improve sound quality over the piss-poor-lossy-MP3-sound from the factory XM tuner in my car. I attempted to swap the tuners as-is and noted the navigation screen wouldn't allow the tuner to work without additional programming, since the XM tuner is married to either the VIN or the Radio ID of the car that it came from.

I'm trying to figure out if the '07 XM tuner can be re-calibrated for use in a different car via Tech2 or if I'm just lost altogether. Does anyone know the procedure for replacing/reprogramming/adding the XM tuner and if so, would anyone be interested in buying this '07 tuner for their own car? I've since given up on the CTS-V and enjoy the STS-Vs stereo much more.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
228 Posts
I was thinking of trying to add one to mine too from a salvage car. I upgraded to a 2005 nav so I have the xm capability, but was told the xm modules (assuming you are talking about the one in the rear deck) cannot be swapped.

I don't think they can reprogram it for your vin. Also neither gmpartsdirect or cadillac parts department can order them for you and I believe it's because of the fact it won't work. They can be replaced in case of accident or failure but there is a procedure that has to be followed I was told in order to order one with you're vin. So one can be programmed for a car, but I don't know about re-programmed and apparently they only do this for a replacement under warranty, not dealer rules either gm rules. I have not actually tried, just the answers I got from researching here and from my dealer.

i wanted to get this done too, please let us know if you do figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The aftermarket XMDirect kit works just like the factory tuner, and sounds great, IMHO. I wouldn't mess around with trying to swap a used factory tuner, for the reasons you just mentioned. It's been documented here for years, that a used one is married to a cars VIN, and can't be cleared by anyone other than the factory.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xminstall/index.html

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.
I know of no way to clear the theft info on a swapped unit.
I kind of got a lesson on that because I didn't even realize they were VIN learned because I have only installed new ones, then someone told me and I looked it up. They learn the first car they are put in, the Tech 2 won't unlock them.
An XM direct kit would probably be the easy answer here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts