Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member here and first time Caddy owner. Just purchased a Black 2003 Cadillac EXT. It did not have XM radio installed in it. But the radio looks like the others that had XM. Can my system be update to XM. Can I buy the reciever and antenna and be good to go? I do not want any RF module glued to the dash. I want everything to go through the radio just like from the factory. No one at the Dealer could tell me if the radio XM ready or the difference between the two radio. They told me to go to Best Buy and Best Buy said the car is too new they don't have a clue. Any help?

Atomic_k9
2003 Escalade EXT

·
Registered
55 Posts
If your EXT is 2003 it is fully equipped with the XM sat radio. They did not keep this option out of the EXT truck at all. All you need to do is contact XM and tell them all your information and your there. Any more questions feel free to contact me,
George

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George,
XM sent me back to the Dealer. Who wants to put the FM module on it. I have even call the factory authorized for Delco Electronics and he said I would have to wait about six months before he could even help me because he does not have part numbers yet.

All I want to do is buy a reciever and antenna that will work with my radio. Your help is more than welcome.

Atomic_k9
EXT without XM

·
Registered
SRX, Yukon Denali, Z06 Corvette, Silverado 2500 HD, Kaiser M715
51 Posts
atomic_k9 said:
George,
XM sent me back to the Dealer. Who wants to put the FM module on it. I have even call the factory authorized for Delco Electronics and he said I would have to wait about six months before he could even help me because he does not have part numbers yet.

All I want to do is buy a reciever and antenna that will work with my radio. Your help is more than welcome.

Atomic_k9
EXT without XM
I have the EXACT same question. What did you find out? Did the 2003 come with XM? How do I turn it on? If not how can I install the factor XM unit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A pretty easy give away is if you have the XM antenna on top or not. If not then it's not there..also push band until it goes from fm to am to xm. If it's there, you are ready to go. More likely than not you don't have it or you would know. To answer your other question, there have been a few that have added a factory receiver to their existing system which IS do-able if you can find a dealer to get the receiver for you. I have heard that this is not available through the dealers, but there have been a few with success. If you can find a receiver, all 2003-up headunits are able to control the factory XM receiver. Hope this helps. If not check this out.. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=160;action=display;threadid=18280

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got an 03 DTS w/nav. but w/o XM. I wanted XM, but not an "add on", so the dealer ordered an exchange receiver box from Delphi. The head unit did not have to be replaced. It now displays and plays all XM channels. It works great and Delphi is now considering adding it to the list of dealer installed options. Note that the stock Delphi antenna requires a hole to be drilled in the top and the headliner to be partially removed. I didn't want the hole and complexity so the installer installed a third party magnetic antenna right above the rear window seal (wire hidden in the seal) It looks a lot cleaner than the stock "shark fin". It works great! It's amazing what a good dealer will do for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW1,
What Dealer did this for you and where are you located. I have had no luck with this. I have read about adapters from soundgate for universal XM units and got mixed reviews. No aftermarket installer in my area (Rockford, IL) have done the adaptor or a caddy yet. Not sure I want to be the lab rat! Would love to have a dealer do it for me.

Atomic_k9

·
Registered
14 Posts
atomic_k9 said:
WOW1,
What Dealer did this for you and where are you located. I have had no luck with this. I have read about adapters from soundgate for universal XM units and got mixed reviews. No aftermarket installer in my area (Rockford, IL) have done the adaptor or a caddy yet. Not sure I want to be the lab rat! Would love to have a dealer do it for me.

Atomic_k9
The caddy dealer is Miller Cadillac of Ellicott City, MD. However they use a specialty shop to do their installations. It is Caton Radio on Balto. National Pike in Catonsville, MD. (410) 747-8667
Just have your dealer contact the Delphi Div. of GM directly. They exchanged the receiver box located in trunk on the left side and fished an antenna wire up around the rear window seal to a magnetic mounted aftermarket antenna pad. Delphi wants you to drill a hole in the top and permanently mount their own antenna, but I didn't want them messing with the headliner, waterproofing, etc. It works great! The only dropouts occur when you are on very densely forested streets, but others do that too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw this item for sale at eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM, and thought that you might be interested.

Title of item: Cadillac Gm Chevrolet delco XM RADIO tunner
Seller: partyd
Starts: Jul-06-04 09:08:01 PDT
Ends: Jul-11-04 09:08:01 PDT
Price: Starts at $240.00

To bid on the item, go to: http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?RedirectEnter&partner=777701&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi%2Eebay%2Ecom%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI%2Edll%3FViewItem%26item%3D5708374747%26category%3D60206%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AB%3AEF%3AUS%3A1

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
That looks EXACTLY like the unit I bought and put in my Prelude (with a Pioneer tuner and 12-disc changer).

According to Crutchfield, it IS the same unit. I'll have to go check the model number on mine to be sure. If it is, all I would need is an adapter cable to move it to an XM-ready GM car, and I may not even need that!

·
Registered
30 Posts
this is the same unit I needed to hook up to my AVIC-N1. I believe that is is being discontinued (pioneer is getting out of the XM business). GM Accessories has come out with a GM authorized part I found out today. You can find it a www.gmaccessories.net . its XM Radio - part # 12498768 :shhh:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
If you look at this picture:

It looks as if there is some kind of an adapter box plugged into the line from the Pioneer box to the head unit. The label on it says (I think) "GM TO PIONEER" followed by a GM part number.

If I can find one of those adapters, I'm all set for an Escalade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is the GM kit now avail. at dealer's parts counter.

XM Radio Upgrade Kit XM Radio - 12498768
XM radio upgrade kit is supplied with reciever, antenna, bracket, harness, installation instruction sheet and hardware (Will not work with vehicles equipped with code UM7 radio)

Price Detail
Without Installation: $428.12
With Installation: $560.12

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Pioneer XM receiver: $150
P.I.E. Adapter: $99.95
Terk XM antenna: $34.95
Installation time: 2 hrs.

Preventing a dealer from screwing you:

Priceless.

(prices from Crutchfield.com, which is notoriously high)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checked out GMaccessories.net site. Looks ok, :confused: but did you read the fine print? Not associated with General Motors, Inc. and no warrenty info. :tisk: This means parts could void GM warrenty :bonkers: Just my .02 but looks promising :p
Atomic_k9

1 - 17 of 17 Posts