Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get a straight answer from my dealer on this, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Ok here it goes, I have a 2003 CTS 12/02 build date, black dash, single cd, non Bose. Now is it XM compatible?? The 1-800# for Cadillac says yes, but my dealer says they are wrong. Can anybody help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
XM was an option mid'03 model year with the switch to the black dash. Does your non-bose headunit have a 'Band' button? If so, it should work fine with XM using the radiosandmore kit. You might have to have the XM option activated with a Tech 2 at the dealer, although mine worked out of the box. To date, this is the only way to get XM in a CTS if it didn't come from the factory. Pewter dash cars did not come with XM from the factory and don't have the firmware in the headunits, but that doesn't apply to you. If you don't have a 'Band' button, I'm pretty sure it will NOT be XM compatible.

Instructions are on the FAQ:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xminstall/index.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the band button. So I guess it just comes down to the fact that the local dealer is unwilling to help me out!? So is the dealer the only place that can do this Tech 2 activation?

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Most shops have a Tech 2, so you don't necessarily need to go to your dealer. The instructions for this come in the kit. I'd install the XM first. It's plug and play . . . very easy install. You may find that it's already active in the radio (like most have reported), with no need for a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
An easy way to tell if your radio is ready is to remove the radio and see who manufactured it. If it was made in Germany and has VDO on it that unit is NOT XM ready. Most of the 2003's I have seen are not XM ready. It is a crap shoot. Good Luck,

DanDan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's easier said than done for me. Let's say that is the case, then what are my options for a "factory" looking XM setup??

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Nada.

If the head unit is not XM ready, there's no chance of a factory like option. The only other options are something like the Roady or XM Commander with it's separate display and a hard-line FM converter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
:hmm: I still have a question:

If the radio has the band button, and it's a mid '03 + CTS w/out XM option (base single CD radio - no factory XM hardare installed other than the ability for the radio to be XM eneabled).. do i need to install both the XM Brand XM kit (XM amp module, XM antenna, etc.) AND the radiosandmore kit, or just the radiosandmore kit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Radio & More kit should be it! I ordered mine and have an appointment friday for the install, I'll post if it works.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What about 03 model Bose radio's...is it still a mystery if it's XM ready?
I have been with Sirius for a long time now...but maybe it's time to switch...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, no luck! As Dandan stated the radio was made in Germany and had VDO on it, and the XM kit would not work! So it looks like the only option at this point is plug and play.

·
Registered
466 Posts
backspin26 said:
Well, no luck! As Dandan stated the radio was made in Germany and had VDO on it, and the XM kit would not work! So it looks like the only option at this point is plug and play.
:tisk: Hold on. There are plenty of members here who have upgraded their factory radio to DVD NAV. I have a 2003 radio, VDO, made in Germany (March 2003). I'd give it to you, but it won't help. Ask the question, "anybody want to sell their 2004-2006 stock radio, "cheap"? With the stock radio, the Radios and More XM kit will work like factory. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmm. If this works for the ipod, will the kit work for Sirius? I have Sirius installed but currently use the antenna bypass module with it which doesn't produce quality sound.

Hmmmmmm....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
odysseus said:
XM was an option mid'03 model year with the switch to the black dash. Does your non-bose headunit have a 'Band' button? If so, it should work fine with XM using the radiosandmore kit. You might have to have the XM option activated with a Tech 2 at the dealer, although mine worked out of the box. To date, this is the only way to get XM in a CTS if it didn't come from the factory. Pewter dash cars did not come with XM from the factory and don't have the firmware in the headunits, but that doesn't apply to you. If you don't have a 'Band' button, I'm pretty sure it will NOT be XM compatible.

Instructions are on the FAQ:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xminstall/index.html
Ody, I have the Pewter CD Rom Nav with band button, mine cannot be programmed for XM??

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
doubtful. The pewter dash cars were pre-XM, so they don't have the proper firmware in them to decode the XM signal and display the XM screens. At least that's what I found with mine, which Shaft now has, and is selling. My DVD nav uses the Radio's and More kit totally transparently . . . very factory like.

You can still add an external XM kit. I had the XM Commander on my Pewter Nav, and it worked fine, with a hardline FM converter.

·
Registered
'04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird
1,020 Posts
does the xm ready cts come with an external (or internal) xm antennae?

·
Registered
466 Posts
yomommas said:
does the xm ready cts come with an external (or internal) xm antennae?
:tisk: No. Obviously, if the car comes with XM, the antenna is installed. No XM, no antenna. The RadiosAndMore XM kit comes will everything to include the antenna. I have it and it's great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts