Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to posting...so bear with me. I know this can't be as simple as just swapping out headunits from a Cadillac with this option built in. I have read on other threads that say it is and is not possiible. I have heard that some people have bought adapters to acheive this seamless installation with other Cadillacs. Over all my goal is: A seamless integration of XM. I know this may not be possible. Although, if it is I would like to know the steps I need to take. Thanks for any help you provide!

P. S. I have the tape/CD Bose option in my 2000 Catera.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Well... the radio has to be compatible with an XM receiver, the reciever has to be installed and you have to have an antenna.
If the car didn't have XM from the factory you should do some shopping at XMRadio.com
Probably the easiest and most cost effective method is tying in a system that you bought from XM or a retailer. Trying to make it look factory and using factory equipment will be very expensive and time consuming.

That being said there are various ways to tie it into your car, most people I have talked to don't like FM modulator setup. I think I have heard some people say that the best for sound quality are the ones you stick in your tape player. That might be what you want.
I know it might not be fun having the extra pieces laying about and the wire hanging out of the tape player but I think that would be the most cost effective and simple way to do it.
I don't even see XM listed for a 2000 Catera, or any other year Catera for that matter, so finding factory compatible equipment might not even be possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ewill3rd,

Thank you for your quick reply and insight! XM was not an option at all for any model year Catera. I had been looking at 2002 and up Seville/Deville CD/Tape Bose systems which look to be the same shape/size as the one I have in my car now. The only difference I can see are some buttons have different locations on the headunit. I thought with the addition of an XM antenna and an already XM Delco/Bose headunit together might do the trick. I know this is a lofty idea but I can be a little stubborn. Thanks again!

kmcatera00

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
km, many times even though the radio chassis appears the same, pin locations are different in the connectors. I have no idea why they do it, but sometimes they shuffle connections around and even though the connector actually fits in the hole, the pinouts are all wrong... well, wrong enough anyway.

I would hesitate to tell you that a radio that looks the same would work. It would still be expensive and troublesome to run the wiring to say the least.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm i didn't know that.... well this may be a dead end road for me. Haha Thanks again for your advice. I noticed that you are a Cadillac technician and I have another question. I am also trying to upgrade to the optional xenon lights in my Catera. I have posted this question in the Catera forum with no replies yet. Can you shed some light on the subject? In my thread I have linked the headlight assemblies and ballast/bulb combo I am considering. Thanks again!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If I can find some time I'll look it over.
I have to confess that I am not a "mod" kind of guy and changing over stuff like that is not my forte'.
I know more about XM radio than I do about Catera, but like I said, if I get some time I'll take a look at what you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts