Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS & 2003 Escalade
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2006 CTS for about 3 months. I have the navigation system with the Bose XM radio, which I love. On a couple of occassions while driving, the XM radio switches to FM and I cannot switch back to XM. In fact, it acts as though it doesn't have XM. The band selector goes from AM to FM and back it doesn't even show XM. After something between 5 and 20 minutes, the XM miraculously reappears. I asked the dealer about this and they said it is probably satellite interference, but should it stop or increase in frequency, bring it in for service.

Does that sound reasonable that satellite interference would cause the XM to disappear, not just stop playing? :hmm:

Other than this minor glitch, the CTS has been a delight to drive.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Sounds more like the XM tuner is dropping off the Class 2 serial bus (intermittent connection?) or loosing power intermittantly. If you loose satellites, it simply goes mute, but still displays the XM screens. Electrical buggaboos are the hardest to diagnose, but sounds like a loose or broken terminal in a connector.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
Looks like it's an issue with the 2006 only. There have been a few of us who posted similiar situations with the XM. My dealer was not able to duplicate the situation and it has been a month since it happened to me. If you want to see more posts on this, do a search. I believe there are at least two other threads on this subject.:welcome:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you lose the ability to select XM radio on the nav unit control head, then it's losing communication with the receiver.
It's possible that there is a bad connection at the reciever (which is a real party to get to, NOT) or the reciever itself could have a glitch in it.
Whoever told you it was a reception problem knows nothing about XM radio. Yes it's normal for XM radio to lose signal, in some places more than others, but it should still be selectable on the radio regardless of whether or not there is a signal to be had.
How many times has this happened?

·
Registered
2006 CTS & 2003 Escalade
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ewill3rd said:
If you lose the ability to select XM radio on the nav unit control head, then it's losing communication with the receiver.
It's possible that there is a bad connection at the reciever (which is a real party to get to, NOT) or the reciever itself could have a glitch in it.
Whoever told you it was a reception problem knows nothing about XM radio. Yes it's normal for XM radio to lose signal, in some places more than others, but it should still be selectable on the radio regardless of whether or not there is a signal to be had.
How many times has this happened?
It has happened three times, once when I fist got the car and didn't know how to use the radio and assumed I had screwed something up. Once about a month ago and just two days age. In each instance, I tried to change the bands back to XM, but it didn't find them. After a short period, 5 to 20 minutes, it just started working again. Of course it is intermittent and has never been off long enough to show the dealer. You think I should take it to them and explain what you have told me or just wait until it konks out?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
As for what to tell them I am not sure that you can tell them anything that will make them take a look at it.
Just tell them you talked to someone and they explained to you that if the XM signal is lost the display will show "no signal" on the radio.
If the XM tuner loses communication with the radio, you won't be able to select the XM band. They either know it or they don't.
I am our dealership's resident radio/onstar guru so I deal with it all the time. It is quite possible they haven't had much experience with XM so you might have to educate them before they can even help you.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1 Posts
I have a 2005 CTS with DVD Nav and see the XM drop off about 1 -2 times a month - but I only see the problem on engine start. Turning off the car and restarting normally doesn't solve the problem so I drive for a while and it will normally work on next start.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Only the black dash cars built after Summer of '02. That's when XM became a free-flow option on the CTS.

·
Registered
447 Posts
odysseus said:
Only the black dash cars built after Summer of '02. That's when XM became a free-flow option on the CTS.
Hey, I have that! I think I do..my dash is black...how to I enable this puppy or find out if I really do?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If I remember right XM is RPO code U2k, look on your SPID label.
I think it's under the spare tire cover on CTS.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
can you tune and HEAR XM channel 01? If so then you can activate it, if not then you are lacking XM equipment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts