Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 with nav. At least seven times in the last two months, I have not been able to access the XM stations when I started my car. I even shut it down and started it again with no results. Twice it has played music from my presets on XM2 while showing the presets from XM1. When this happens it also cuts off the ability to use the source button on the steering wheel. Has this happened to anyone else??? I took it to my dealer and they were not able to duplicate the situation after having the car for three days.:bomb:

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
When this happens, do you also lose volume control (on the steering wheel) and steering wheel control button functions?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
2 Posts
This sounds similar to when I was at the end of my 3 months complementary XM radio service. Instead of bands XM1 and XM2, the labels were LW1 and LW2. No XM service, but some sound was coming through, though I don't know from what.

Dealer didn't have an explanation and claimed to never have heard of such a thing. Power-cycling caused the XM1 and XM2 bands to disappear from the band selection list. Two days later, my paid-for XM service kicked in and everything has been fine since. That was 2 months ago. :hmm:

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mbai2 said:
When this happens, do you also lose volume control (on the steering wheel) and steering wheel control button functions?
Volume control is still intact, but I'm not able to use the source button.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I replaced my factory speaker on my 04 cts, with boston accoustics, and I noticed a tremendous loss of volume on my xm stations, compared to listening to am fm stations or cd. I talked to my cadillac dealership and she said its normal. Is there anything I can do to make the volume for my xm stations to be equivalant to the volume on my cd player and am fm stations. Input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
tonelocdog said:
I replaced my factory speaker on my 04 cts, with boston accoustics, and I noticed a tremendous loss of volume on my xm stations, compared to listening to am fm stations or cd. I talked to my cadillac dealership and she said its normal. Is there anything I can do to make the volume for my xm stations to be equivalant to the volume on my cd player and am fm stations. Input would be greatly appreciated.
:hmm: Others here have said it and I agree. I don't think the XM sound quality is as good as it should be. My complaint is the sound quality, the volume is OK.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem with the sound quality just the volume. It isn't as high as the cd player and the fm station. I am going to make a service call so they can do something about it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you have a U2R radio there is an unpublished document that applies to your vehicle for low volume on XM. It hasn't reached TSB form yet, so you didn't hear it from me. :shhh:
Some Cadillac CTS and SRX customers with a U2R (CD radio) may report that the XM volume is lower than the CD or other radio bands. Engineering has determined that the radio software is the root cause and the radio will need to be replaced.
I find that sound quality varies by channel. Some channels are great while others sound really weird.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
tonelocdog said:

There is a TSB on this.. firmware upgrade fixes it... good luck at the dealer...

check www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/

Reed

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, thats very surprising information to me. Man this really sucks. I hope it won't be too much time cosuming for me to get this fix. As it does take a while to wait for my car to get service at my caddy dealership. I hope they just update the firmware on the radio to equalize the volume on all bands and sources. Other than that they have no choice but to change the radio, because I am paying subscriptons services for xm radio, and not getting the sound quality that I deserve. But they got to get this fix a.s.ap. Thanks for the helpfut tip. Good forum you guys got here.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Fact: the dealer cannot upgrade the firmware. they need to send the radio out to a compnay in detroit... They usually order a replacement and send your radio back. the dealer NEEDS to specify XM though, otherwise you wont neceessarily get the fix.

ok, my OPINION ONLY....

The firmware fix will not fix the sound quality of XM. During my 3 month trial I had a CD (burned from MP3 none the less) and happened to switch to a XM channel that was playing the same song.. I switched back and forth a few times and the sound quality on XM was terrible... The is not the fault of our radio, but the XM technology overall. It, by its very nature is a compressed technology since the stream is coming from a satellite and that is not cheap. Plus they try ot offer tons of channels which takes up portions of this bandwidth that could be used to increase sound quality. I heard definite compressesion when listening to XM and for that reasion opted to install an iPod instead. At least with my iPod I control the play list and it doesnt go out when I am in a parking garage.

Reed

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I got sirius satellite radio (not oem) on my other car, and I have no problem with sound quality nor volume on it what so ever. Actually i think the satellite stations sound better than any other sources or bands on my aftermarket radio which is an alpine. So If I take it to my dealer ship and give me some b.s. story like they have before by the way, without even taking a look at it but just using their ears. (Was a differ person not my regular Service appointment guy, was off that day) I will just cancel xm on the caddy and use my cd's instead. Because with the volume coming out of those xm stations, after installing mid entry boston accoustics speakers bye the way. IMHOP I don't think its even worth a penny to subscribe to xm satellite radio through GM OEM factory head units. IMHOP :rolleyes:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are essentially 3 radios you can have. If you have the orange display "base" units, the software is not upgradable and the radio has to be replaced with one that has new software built into it.
The Nav units can be upgraded with a disk, if the dealer has never done it they won't have the disk and will have to order one (usually).

If your dealer is unwilling to help you, try another one if there is one within a reasonable radius.
GM also tells us to adjust the audio controls and set them differently for XM to help "even out" the sound difference between bands. I haven't messed with that yet so I don't even know how reasonable that is.

I understand your frustration.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I made a service call for the middle of next week. I have the radio with the orange display, non bose system. So hopefully this situation can be straightened out. There is a another dealership nearby incase they can't help it, which most likely they probably will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts