Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

:welcome:

I'm new to this forum. I did a search, but couldn't find any information about this.

We took delivery of an infrared '06 CTS 3.6L today w/DVD nav. I seem to have a problem with accessing the XM radio.

When I use the key on key fob #2, I can press the BAND button and cycle through XM1, XM2, FM1, FM2, and AM, and they all work fine. My problem: when I use the key on key fob #1, I press the BAND button and it only cycles through FM1, FM2, AM, and then back to FM1 - skipping XM1 and XM2.

Am I missing something obvious here? I've read through the manual but haven't found any information about this.

Any help would be appreciated. Nice to meet everyone.

N12345

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
n12345 said:
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I did a search, but couldn't find any information about this.

We took delivery of an infrared '06 CTS 3.6L today w/DVD nav. I seem to have a problem with accessing the XM radio.

When I use the key on key fob #2, I can press the BAND button and cycle through XM1, XM2, FM1, FM2, and AM, and they all work fine. My problem: when I use the key on key fob #1, I press the BAND button and it only cycles through FM1, FM2, AM, and then back to FM1 - skipping XM1 and XM2.

Am I missing something obvious here? I've read through the manual but haven't found any information about this.

N12345
Welcome. Sounds like they didn't program your fobs correctly or something. Did you try to personalize your settings yet? On mine I always had XM using either FOB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome/reply.

Yes, I did try personalizing the settings with fob #1. I drove it home from the dealer with fob #2, and XM was working fine. I didn't happen to try XM with fob #1 until after I started personalizing the settings. I personalized my name, as well as stored 6 FM presets on FM1. The manual indicated I needed to be in 'radio mode' to do so. I just took this to mean that I needed to be on the radio screen.

The checkbox for personalized settings is indeed checked in the main setup area. Other personalized settings such as seat position, seat exit position and mirror position are working fine for both fobs.

The only thing I can think of is, when I 'entered radio mode' to store the FM1 presets on fob #1, I somehow turned off access to XM? That doesn't make much sense to me though. I of course tried it again after starting/stopping the car repeatedly, using it with no problems with fob #2, etc, and I can't seem to get to either XM band using fob #1 no matter what I do.

This is my first car with such a system, so I have some things to learn. Normally I'm technically adept but I'm stumped with this one at the moment.

So it's possible the fob was programmed incorrectly at the dealer? Any other ideas based on what I said?

Thanks for the quick reply. If I can't figure it out I'll just call the dealer. But I thought the real experts might have the quick answer (been lurking for a while now...) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went out and tried it again - and it worked! I don't know what the problem was. But it seems fine now. Thanks for the reply, I'll see if it continues to be OK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, appreciate the link.

Just an update on my issue. I assumed it was related to the different keys, since that's how it appeared last night. But unfortunately, this is not so. It started doing it with key #2 today too. Got in this morning, went for a drive with XM on, it was fine. Stopped and got out for a few minutes, got back in, and now XM is not a choice again. Cycling BAND button gives FM1 FM2 AM FM1 etc. etc.

This is frustrating, I need to call the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I definitely will.

I was just about to post and ask if you had gotten your's resolved, since it wasn't clear in the other post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
n12345 said:
Hello,
N12345
:bouncy: :cookoo:
Hello to All,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
We have a 05 CTS with voice recognition, IR-DVD Nav/6 CD changer and XM. We got our CTS in
July 2005.
Two weeks ago we started experiencing the same missing XM bands problem.
So far it has only occurred twice. The last time this problem happen was after I
had turned the car off and then turn the key to the power position to
listen to the radio. No XM 1 or 2. The next day, the XM bands had
return. As I recall, the first time was when my wife pulled her key out
after listening to the radio - just before I got into the car to drive.
We have personalized driver 1 and 2 and have preset stations on FM2, XM1 and XM2.
I'll let everyone know if I can successfully recreate the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:
So far we have not been able to recreate the missing XM Band problem. I guess this is a good thing until it happens again when we want to listen to XM radio.:banghead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional info. I haven't been able to recreate the problem for over a week now (and that's a good thing)... I said I'd keep the forum updated re: what the dealer says, but I haven't had to take it as of yet. I hope it stays this way!

-N12345

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me, '05 3.6 6MT. I always use the same key fob but the problem is very intermittant. At first I thought it was because when I start my car in the garage, the XM signal is blocked, thus the radio disables XM until reboot? The problem hasn't happen in a couple of weeks so I'm just kinda monitoring it and see what the conditions are when it re-occurs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts