Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
76 is a little steep, but it does have a lot of cool features. They will probably lower the price if it isnt selling..

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I agree, At damned near eighty grand it'd better not be plagued with the typical first model problems that always seem to crop up!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems like GM is pretty confident the XLR can compete in its class
to price it at 76K+. Looking forward to the first car mag that compares
the XLR, SL500, SC430 and XK8. GM better hope for at least a close
second place finish. They will probably need a first place finish
to get people considering the XK8 or SL500 to look at an XLR.

Based on the specs it should out perform and handle the others but
the quality of the interior along with fit and finish is where it could lack.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
peccles said:
Seems like GM is pretty confident the XLR can compete in its class
to price it at 76K+. Looking forward to the first car mag that compares
the XLR, SL500, SC430 and XK8. GM better hope for at least a close
second place finish. They will probably need a first place finish
to get people considering the XK8 or SL500 to look at an XLR.

Based on the specs it should out perform and handle the others but
the quality of the interior along with fit and finish is where it could lack.

Car and Driver would still find a way for the BMW 3-series to win :banghead:

·
Registered
30 Posts
That whole "keyless" idea is super cool! I like the one button engine start/stop. Some definitely sweet features. If mercedes came out with a new car that had all these "new" features, they would charge 110k easily.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
I say this is a good move. If GM starts with bargain pricing, they set bargain expectations.

They're building these cars in such tiny numbers, and it's such a small leap technologically (from C5 and Northstar), that I expect they'll deliver assembly and parts quality on par with their heady competition.

As for the opening comparison -- the XK8 is quite long in the tooth, and the SC430 took some criticism when it was released for a less-than-stellar chassis. XLR would have to suck to do worse than second place. And who knows, if they're in striking distance maybe they can take the win on performance -- or at least cement a positive reputation as the athelete of the bunch.

.Jinx

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlackEldo45 said:
That whole "keyless" idea is super cool! I like the one button engine start/stop. Some definitely sweet features. If mercedes came out with a new car that had all these "new" features, they would charge 110k easily.

Mercedes does have all these features in the SL500, the base price is 87k, but a few of the standard features on the cadillac are optional on SL, so 87k can get closer to 100k real quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Base price seem reasonable to me. Comeon guys they're competing against other luxo maker not corvette. Everyone somehow likes to compare cars with in the same company.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the base price is very reasonable. This car is in no league with the corvette. Maybe speed wise but it seems to me that the XLR is a heck of a lot more than just an engine.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Brett said:
Car and Driver would still find a way for the BMW 3-series to win :banghead:
LOL!

I was just going through and saw this. Cant say I dont disagree hehehe...

But serioiusly. Interior fit and finish and exterior quality will make a big difference in how the public perceives the price of this vehicle. I have heard some early rumours about the convertible top but I think those have been resolved.

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Jinx said:
I say this is a good move. If GM starts with bargain pricing, they set bargain expectations.

They're building these cars in such tiny numbers, and it's such a small leap technologically (from C5 and Northstar), that I expect they'll deliver assembly and parts quality on par with their heady competition.

As for the opening comparison -- the XK8 is quite long in the tooth, and the SC430 took some criticism when it was released for a less-than-stellar chassis. XLR would have to suck to do worse than second place. And who knows, if they're in striking distance maybe they can take the win on performance -- or at least cement a positive reputation as the athelete of the bunch.

.Jinx

Small leap in technology? I dont believe this is true, what the XLR is, is very advanced. Its based on the new Corvette C6 Platform, it has an advanced local area network of computers throughout the vehicle, a transmission with a special meter that recognizes geforces between corners and upshifts for more speed to make it just like a manual. An almost completely re-designed Northstar V8 with VVT... etc. ( i could go on and on) This is a piece of technological artwork, and GM better hope they not only compete with the Benz's and Jag's but hope they sell as well.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V & 1962 Coupe Deville
548 Posts
El Dobro said:
Well, it's still off to the lottery ticket store for me.
I hear that!

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
It will sell. They already are! I saw a used one with 15k miles sell at a wholesale auction for $89,000 a couple months ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts