Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
" The XLR shares chassis, brakes and most suspension components with the C6 slated for 2004 production"
from autoweek.

XLR is supposed to have near 50/50 weight distribution which will give this car amazing handling characteristics. Combine that with responsive magnetic shocks this should be a very fun ride to have. Hard top on this car is provided by the company(joint venture between benz and porshce) that provides benz their hard tops.
I can't wait to see this car come out and beat out all the competitions.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I think you'll find that MOST cars these days are good performers. Hell, if we haven't managed to get the formula right for a RWD roadster, we might as well stop building cars.
On the other hand, I think it takes a lot more than an impressive spreadsheet of performance figures to make a car a hit these days. The XLR is going to have to do for Cadillac (and GM as a whole) what the Miata did for Mazda. It's been a LONG time in the womb and as a maximum effort from GM's top brand, it's got a lot to prove. I think that's partially why it took so long.
I have to reserve my FINAL judgement until after I see one in person but so far I'm less than optimistic about the car's future. At least it's got a market that's hungry for this type of car.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
from the test data, sl500 and sc430 pulls numbers that our current cadillac(STS and DTS) is pulling. RWD, 400+lbs lighter, 5 speed auto, bit more horsepower and torque i think the formula shows nothing but success.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would take this over a Vette any day. Now lets see Cadillac make a Z06 version.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Mad'lac said:
I would take this over a Vette any day. Now lets see Cadillac make a Z06 version.
I thought they are making v series for XLR too. Everyone is commenting on the extra space left under the hood for a possible forced induction system

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Mad'lac said:

I'd always take the Cadillac over the 'Vette! But I'm a known Cadillac guy!:D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
It's just sad that the CTS-v will probably have more power than the XLR. It's supposed to have the LS1 from the GTO in it SOON.
From what I see the XLR is gonna be REAL underpowered.
It sucks that the GTO out this year will probably suck the doors off the XLR. 315HP is a JOKE :(

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
the Sandman said:
I've read estimates that the horsepower of the '06 Z06 (first year of C6 Z06) will be around 450. This would leave a lot of room to bump up the XLR to XLR-V with well over 400 horsepower and still allow Corvette to be king. I wouldn't expect to see the XLR-V for a couple of years.
from what i've been hearing, new c6 is going to be lot lighter than the current c5s with more power starting with base c6 in the same area as the current z06

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
i really believe GM has to get away from the "corvette must be king" mentality if Cadillac is truly gonna compete with the germans, who have gone horsepower crazy with 469hp E55, 450hp RS6 and rumored 500hp M5. i know these cars are very pricey and also low production but they get people in the showroom. Do the need a 500hp XLR-V to compete against SL55...maybe...maybe not, but it would be irritating if the decision came down to how much horsepower the corvette has and not how much horsepower the actual competition has.

Attachments

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
the other alternative would be to make a true viper competitor corvette... call it want you want Z06,ZR-1,C5-R. Something with 500+hp...then corvette could be king and everyone else would have room to bump hp.....also thought id mention how cool it is to even be talking about 400hp Caddillacs and 500hp German Sedans....not so long ago this was unheard of

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
That is correct, Devil_Concours.. And, with rumors about the Viper coming down in price to compete more directly with the Vette and avoid losing too many sales to the Ford GT, Chevy will need to boost the performance of the Corvette.. It'll happen. The C6 will be very competitive... That being said, Cadillac will be able to add more horsepower..

The fact is, the Corvette is THE performance car for GM. It will always be King - accept under very rare circumstances (ie. GNX) - Cadillac will never be the performance car of GM. But it will be close behind...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
9 Participants
the Sandman