Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a beautiful 2009 XLR limited edition platinum convertible and can't get replacement parts for a 7 year old car.

I contacted Morgan and Morgan attorneys at law. They are interested in filing a Class Action lawsuit against General Motors if enough XLR owners voice a complaint about
no replacement parts available. I am coordinating this project.

Please forward all complaints about the lack of parts and the make and years of your cars to me. [email protected]

The lawsuit will be pro bono. So no cost to us until a settlement has been negotiated with GM.

Thank you for your help! I can not drive my car at night because the drivers left tail light assembly went out and no one knows how to fix it and no replacement part can be found anywhere.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You might get a little response from this forum on this topic to support your case.

There are three significant XLR-related sites online and only one has any appreciable activity; this isn't it unfortunately. Use Google to locate the active site that will garner the most response, since it can't be posted here. I see you've located the two minimal traffic sites.

Eventually, the ELR community will be in the same situation as it has significantly less vehicles for GM to forget about when the warranty periods expire. Once the unique spares are depleted, it's not profitable to re-tool or have vendors provide replacements on low-volume cars.

Good luck,

CC

PS: Late entry: The Class Action suit to force GM to provide spares has been dropped. Can't post the link to the explanation here since it's posted on a competing auto site.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,595 Posts
I would imagine that someone who bought an extremely limited production run vehicle - a niche item - would have done the homework to find out if they could even maintain the thing. Too many examples of motor vehicles over the years made of Unobtainium to even begin.

There are/were about 16,000 total XLR/XLR-V vehicles on the planet. How many extra cars, in pieces, do you need lying around to satisfy the parts requirements for how long? Another 16,000? ........ and remember: aftermarket support for this car is essentially nonexistent, so that's another purchase factor.

Sadly, there are any number of ambulance chaser "law firms" ready, willing, and able to tackle a lawsuit - of course, they get their money and the litigant gets the remainder.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I concur fellow Bubblehead. Too many XLR owners buy based on emotion after seeing the car, rather than logic and investigating the Big Picture, later to discover they own a vehicle requiring a higher level of commitment and TLC than usual to maintain -especially as they age. I would never recommend an XLR as a daily driver if one only owns a single car. They can be expensive to keep in top shape, and with a number of important parts no longer stocked, they have to be scavenged on the used market.

Some support is available, but not much. There is a vendor who rebuilds the folding top hydraulic pumps for a reasonable price, and sells upgraded hydraulic lines. (The OEM lines are plastic.) When one chaffs and wears through or fractures, the lines routed above the headliner cause considerable interior damage. I read more and more posts about this type of failure, so it's definitely an action item that qualifies for an upgrade.

The explanation for the lawsuit cancellation had to do with GM declaring bankruptcy after XLR production stopped, so legally, that entity couldn't be sued since it doesn't exist anymore. I'm not a lawyer to be able to corroborate that, but that was the explanation put out. An increasing number of frustrated hard-core XLR owners are moving on before The Word gets out regarding the level of commitment to keeping them road-worthy before values drop. As rare and attractive as they are, they may hold their value still.

Remarkably, the XLR has the best re-sale value of any Cadillac produced in the last decade. XLRs in decent shape with under 50k miles that sold for $75k (new) twelve years ago are still pulling high twenties, low thirties on the used market. That's amazing; when you compare it with my latest car, an XTS -whose value dropped in half in under three years. In five years, it will be in the teens -or lower. It took four years for the XLR to reach 35k, and that's when I bought one. ATS and CTS are in the same boat, depreciation-wise, so my XTS experience isn't isolated.

Very few cars can ever be considered investments - unless they're very old and well-maintained.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wish there was a lawsuit, but for what it's worth, there is a guy now advertising on eBay
that he will repair tailights. Has a good reputation too. Going to send mine there soon.
As for the headlights? That's my next posting. Got a resource for that too.

Cheers!
Wes

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Lynnie.....I have a 2007 base XLR. It has 17000 miles on it. It as performed flawlessly up to this point. I have read, with much concern, the situation regarding scare parts if I need them in the future and the obscene costs of them. I think what you are trying to do it great and I am definitely onboard with your efforts. Please keep informed as to how this is working out! :bouncy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes count me in on the class action, it’s not fair and GM should be liable , they made millions From us the consumers and we can’t keep up the maintenance because they stop making parts, I have a 2005 XLR and had my share of problems with GM., keep me informed and if you need anything from me to help you with the class action let me know. There was a class action about five or six years ago and the courts were on GM side because they filed bankruptcy. Being that was the case all owners should be reimburse and give back our xlr to the dealer. I’m still confused, how can GM go bankrupt and still sale cars and make millions through out the year. What we the owners need is justice, why is it the xlr is the only GM vehicle they stop making parts for and the most expensive car they sold and made millions from the elite xlr owners. The xlr owners are being taken advantage of the GM corporate associates . All is fair in war so shall all be fair in the xlr class action., what’s the use of having a expensive car in this decade, and can’t get no parts for , .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
For Posters in #6 & #7: There is NO lawsuit pending. Zip, zero, nada.

GM isn't obligated to support a vehicle with parts after the warranty period expires. There's no money to be made by GM trying to maintain a fully-stocked logistics system for a small number of cars that went out of production almost a decade ago. Chevy produces more single models in a month than XLRs built during it's six-year production run.

If you can't afford to purchase unavailable used parts for exorbitant prices, or you drive an XLR as your only source of transportation, you might consider a different vehicle. . .

CCC

·
Registered
4 Posts
For Posters in #6 & #7: There is NO lawsuit pending. Zip, zero, nada.

GM isn't obligated to support a vehicle with parts after the warranty period expires. There's no money to be made by GM trying to maintain a fully-stocked logistics system for a small number of cars that went out of production almost a decade ago. Chevy produces more single models in a month than XLRs built during it's six-year production run.

If you can't afford to purchase unavailable used parts for exorbitant prices, or you drive an XLR as your only source of transportation, you might consider a different vehicle. . .

CCC[/sounds good but not good enough, if you own a xlr or had one and sold it , is that really how you feel if you can’t replace your headlights, taillights, and other parts for a expensive car , you must work for GM, only in America, overseas they make expensive cars motorcycles with limited production and people that own the cars can always get parts. I don’t like being taken advantage of, it’s like giving my hard earned money away , when making a investment for such a expensive car, i don’t have money like that not to keep up with parts it’s seems GM knew what it was doing, sitting around the committee table making decisions, I feel like I didn’t buy the car I just rented the car not to own but to be played a fool for buying a once of upon a time a beautiful xlr. Don’t get me wrong, the xlr is still a beautiful car , I have a 2005 with 87,000 miles and it’s a shame to be taken advantage of , if GM feel the way like you say then recall all the xlrs’ with a refund , recalls are being done every day from the dealer for their mistakes, I feel since GM stop making parts , a recall for parts should be refundable, what are all the xlrs owners to do when they can’t drive there cars because they can’t get no parts. If I wanted a xlr model car to put together myself, I would have bought one to look at but now I have the most expensive xlr that turns into a model car to look at when you can’t get parts to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
It is what it is. . . Love for your car notwithstanding, your logic is misplaced.

"if GM feel the way like you say then recall all the xlrs’ with a refund / I feel since GM stop making parts , a recall for parts should be refundable"

You feel GM owes you a refund? Get real. Recalls are for safety issues not lack of parts. The best accessory you can buy for your XLR is a box of tissues to place on the center console. I have a hunch you're gonna need them at some point in the near future.

"what are all the xlrs owners to do when they can’t drive there cars because they can’t get no parts. / overseas they make expensive cars motorcycles with limited production and people that own the cars can always get parts."

At that point, you own a garage queen. List one manufacturer of a common brand, (Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc) that stocks parts indefinitely for models they couldn't sell and discontinued. You purchased an over-priced car, produced in low volume, that failed to sell, and was discontinued as a result. I certainly hope you didn't purchase new. There are few antidotes for buyer's remorse, which you appear to have a bad case of. Perhaps your experience might serve as a warning to others. (ELR owners take note.)

"when making a investment for such a expensive car, i don’t have money like that not to keep up with parts "

Like I said, the car may not be for you if you can't afford the cost of ownership. With very rare exceptions, automobiles are not investments, they're depreciating assets. If you want to make any money on yours, you may choose to sell it or part it out. GM doesn't owe any of us anything other than what the law mandates - parts for the duration of the warranty period. If you choose to keep it, you can continue to enjoy driving it until an unavailable critical part fails and you have to park it. Salvage yards are available for some parts, but they won't be cheap (if available at all.)

The XLR is now a niche car, best suited for car knowledgeable enthusiasts who own a Tech 2 to perform their own service and don't mind searching for hard-to-find parts that will likely be expensive. That's why I don't recommend one for an unsuspecting owner who falls in love with it for it's looks (what's not to like?) but doesn't have a clue that a headlight damaged in a minor fender-bender can cause the car to be totaled by an insurance company.

And sorry to disappoint you, but I don't work for GM. I sold my XLR @ 89k miles when the parts shortages started, since I'm not wealthy enough to keep one as a third vehicle for fair-weather driving, with a fair chance of having to park it indefinitely. For my situation, keeping an XLR in the garage indefinitely, passed the stupid test. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I own a beautiful 2009 XLR limited edition platinum convertible and can't get replacement parts for a 7 year old car.

I contacted Morgan and Morgan attorneys at law. They are interested in filing a Class Action lawsuit against General Motors if enough XLR owners voice a complaint about
no replacement parts available. I am coordinating this project.

Please forward all complaints about the lack of parts and the make and years of your cars to me. beachestaxservi[email protected]

The lawsuit will be pro bono. So no cost to us until a settlement has been negotiated with GM.

Thank you for your help! I can not drive my car at night because the drivers left tail light assembly went out and no one knows how to fix it and no replacement part can be found anywhere.
Find a bette mechanic. Other than the housing, there is nothing that should be difficult repair. The connectors are still made "AIRTEX/WELLS 1P1506" and any relay should be able to be matched up with perhaps a chance in electrical connectors. Wiring repairs should be no problem,

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Repair isn't an issue; there are vendors who repair XLR lights, but it isn't cheap. Connectors are easy to find, but it's usually the LED boards (in tail lights) that fail.

The bigger issue is out of stock replacement (post-collision head and tail) lights that are hard to find and uber-expensive if you do. Some online salvage sellers are charging up to $5k each! What's an owner supposed to do with a car that can't pass a safety inspection or be driven (legally) at night?

Sad to say, but the best way to get more than $13K out of a higher mileage, early model XLR is to just part it out. Some enthusiasts who want to hang onto theirs are buying a spare vehicle for donor parts. Some insurance companies won't touch them due to parts unavailability for collision insurance.

Having said all that and owning one for eight years, I enjoyed my time with the XLR, and am not anti-XLR. I've offered buying advice to prospective owners and repair info to owners on all the XLR forums for years. As much as I like them, I cannot in good conscience recommend one to a prospective owner if it will be their only source of transportation or they can't afford to maintain one.

Like this thread title, the XLR is obsolete, but lives on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is what it is. . . Love for your car notwithstanding, your logic is misplaced.

"if GM feel the way like you say then recall all the xlrs’ with a refund / I feel since GM stop making parts , a recall for parts should be refundable"

You feel GM owes you a refund? Get real. Recalls are for safety issues not lack of parts. The best accessory you can buy for your XLR is a box of tissues to place on the center console. I have a hunch you're gonna need them at some point in the near future.

"what are all the xlrs owners to do when they can’t drive there cars because they can’t get no parts. / overseas they make expensive cars motorcycles with limited production and people that own the cars can always get parts."

At that point, you own a garage queen. List one manufacturer of a common brand, (Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc) that stocks parts indefinitely for models they couldn't sell and discontinued. You purchased an over-priced car, produced in low volume, that failed to sell, and was discontinued as a result. I certainly hope you didn't purchase new. There are few antidotes for buyer's remorse, which you appear to have a bad case of. Perhaps your experience might serve as a warning to others. (ELR owners take note.)

"when making a investment for such a expensive car, i don’t have money like that not to keep up with parts "

Like I said, the car may not be for you if you can't afford the cost of ownership. With very rare exceptions, automobiles are not investments, they're depreciating assets. If you want to make any money on yours, you may choose to sell it or part it out. GM doesn't owe any of us anything other than what the law mandates - parts for the duration of the warranty period. If you choose to keep it, you can continue to enjoy driving it until an unavailable critical part fails and you have to park it. Salvage yards are available for some parts, but they won't be cheap (if available at all.)

The XLR is now a niche car, best suited for car knowledgeable enthusiasts who own a Tech 2 to perform their own service and don't mind searching for hard-to-find parts that will likely be expensive. That's why I don't recommend one for an unsuspecting owner who falls in love with it for it's looks (what's not to like?) but doesn't have a clue that a headlight damaged in a minor fender-bender can cause the car to be totaled by an insurance company.

And sorry to disappoint you, but I don't work for GM. I sold my XLR @ 89k miles when the parts shortages started, since I'm not wealthy enough to keep one as a third vehicle for fair-weather driving, with a fair chance of having to park it indefinitely. For my situation, keeping an XLR in the garage indefinitely passed the stupid test. Your mileage may vary.
To each it’s own , I’ve had safety issues, no recall , , since you don’t own a xlr , why are you on this topic, you just gave up, this xlr Tapatalk is for xlr owners that are not like you , we the owners are positive minded, you don’t know what the future holds for the xlr , you just gave up , which is your choice, ( there are more ways to skin a cat ), didn’t mean to step on your toes or your pride , it’s just that i don’t give up on what i believe in that should be right , my xlr is has been paid off for quite some time , united we stand divided we fall, you have fallen, you would think the xlr Tapatalk is for the owners not the owners who gave up on what it took for them to buy this beautiful expensive car in the first place., you should stick to the Tapatalk of your other cars , you never no what might happen to them in a way you feel something should be done , but I willing to bet there’s a lot of talk.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,595 Posts
What did your "smart phone" just say ????

Set the thing to show as PC web pages.

The limited production run XLR is no better or worse in the parts and maintenance department than any other limited edition motor vehicle. This site, and many other brand sites, is full of models with little or no parts/maintenance support. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. Anyone that bought or is contemplating buying a limited edition (or older than ~12 years) vehicle needs to have patience and very deep pockets.

Sent from my Prd2-5X#223664DA antique laptop using Hunt&Peck III-a4d66 Mod5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ll send you all my information , I need your address so I can send you copies of my paper work since I bought my xlr.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lynnie1313 , I just read your post. What's the status of your lawsuit? Please provide me with details and if I still can join. I currently own a like new all black 2006 XLR-V with 82,000 miles. Looks and runs great, but now uncomfortable about not being able to buy body parts.

moderator edit: personal info removed for your own good. -1969byrdman

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
This was the first (and only) post by the OP nearly three years ago.

Unsure if you took the time to read after post #1, but there is no active lawsuit.

You might want to reconsider posting personal contact information on an open forum - this is what private messaging is for.

There are web crawlers programmed to scour online forums for this kind of information to add to spam/call lists. You can delete it by editing your post.

CCC

·
Registered
68 Posts
Happy I read this! I still remember seeing the production line for the XLR back in 06 in BG, KY - it was not even moving! I was on a buyer's tour for my new Corvette at the time. The Corvette line couldn't move fast enough.
I'm currently in the market for a 16 ELR and was wondering about this exact thing happening to the ELR "down the road." With even less ELR's that will be a problem probably more for the body parts than engine, thanks to the Volt. Thank you for posting that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts