Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone,

Okay just started the hunt for the possible purchase an XLR Caddy.

Thoughts or suggestions welcomed with purchasing of a XLR?

Please chime in ...
Great car! I have a 2006. They are very temperamental, can’t just cruise around slow in it. Every couple of days you have to get it on the hiway and blow it out! It is also very difficult to find parts for it, you have have a good source to get you parts, and they are expensive when you find them. Other than that, it’s a great car! ENJOT IT!

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,949 Posts
Post #1 - Thoughts or suggestions welcomed with purchasing of a XLR?

(Underline mine)

FWIW, I was just at my local Cadillac dealership last Thursday - Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis - looking for XLR top parts. Unobtainable. Apparently I (and another poster) know more about the subject than you, so please get the chip off your shoulder.

· Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
3,100 Posts
The Man is absolutely correct. Ignore his advice at your own peril and save yourself a totally preventable case of Buyer's Remorse.

The XLR is a great car- but I cannot recommend it as a daily driver. You would be well advised to invest in a Tech 2 or equivalent to keep it in top form in addition to a set of SErvice Manuals to comprehend what the tool is displaying. A scan of the top costs approx. $120 at a dealership and the scan tool can be found at a discount online.

Go to any GM online parts site and look up the XLR. The engine and rest of the drivetrain is well supported. The XLR-specific parts are mostly discontinued. If you can find salvaged parts, prepare to pay through the nose - or the other end. Head and tail lights go for as much as $5k each. You can’t legally drive without them and an insurance company will total the car if one is damaged. ( I still have a pair of headlights I’m holding onto for awhile yet as they continuously appreciate in value.)

A dwindling parts supply was one of the main reasons I sold my XLR seven years ago and never looked back. Parts are even less available now.

Start reading the many posts here to begin learning the quirks of this unique vehicle.

Two submariners have given you the straight scoop now. Caveat emptor!

· Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; Audi RS6 Avant; '16 ATS-V Sedan gone; '10 CTS LongRoof gone
20,677 Posts
If serious about buying they appear on Bringatrailer.com every now and then. And here is one right now:XLR

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
They can be a great car if you are able to do little things yourself. If you cannot then i would not recommend it. As far as the parts cost,bthey have comevdown a lot and are coming down even more in the future. About 13-15 cars get totaled every month and people are droping those prices down. I just bought two perfect headlight for 1500 per.. Good taillights can be bought for 12-1500 even less if you know how to shop. dont fall for the ebay rip offs. If you cannot search forums and relate to the information found then you may pay 500$ for a used transmission cable that you can learn on the forums can be rebuilt for 30$. Steer away from the 04-05 as they can be money pits 07-09 are the best value and there are plenty of them for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts