Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad recently got his XLR, he already has a major bother. It seems you can only watch DVD's while the car is in park (so the driver isn't distracted from driving), are there any known software mods available to disable this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
dnehthend said:
My dad recently got his XLR, he already has a major bother. It seems you can only watch DVD's while the car is in park (so the driver isn't distracted from driving), are there any known software mods available to disable this?

NO..and i wouldn't suggest you do , its bad enough we have people behind the wheel engaged in what there doing except driving (not that I'm saying your dad is one of them) but not a good or safe idea either way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My brother had the same problem on his 2003 Rolls Royce. He took it into an aftermarket shop who sub-contracted out to a high-end stereo place that knew DVD's inside and out and had them fix it so it'll play in the front and/or on both screens in the back under his control. He also had them install a backup camera that automatically overides the screen display when he puts the transmission in reverse. All this is wired to the same screen the GPS uses.

Now he can watch DVD's, talk on the cell phone, eat and drink a sparkling beverage from the mini refer builtin between the two rear seats while he drives!

The rear seats are nice too. They are electric adjustable so you can really get comfortable watching DVDs in the back while wearing the wireless headsets. :)

The car has so many gadgets that now he wants to hire a driver so he can sit in back and enjoy them.

Bottomline: Take your car to a real high stereo place in your area. They can make your DVD play anytime you want it too. The place that did his work was in Rancho Mirage CA, near Palm Desert.

..rickko..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not so he can watch, it's for the passenger. It's something he would like to have, but probably not something he would want to spent a lot of money on.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Ricko! Does your bro live in apartments in la jolla? i would have sworn i see this one black rr everyday in my underground parking. he has tv's in all the seats but really nice rims to go along with it. If not take care

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
rickko said:
My brother had the same problem on his 2003 Rolls Royce. He took it into an aftermarket shop who sub-contracted out to a high-end stereo place that knew DVD's inside and out and had them fix it so it'll play in the front and/or on both screens in the back under his control. He also had them install a backup camera that automatically overides the screen display when he puts the transmission in reverse. All this is wired to the same screen the GPS uses.

Now he can watch DVD's, talk on the cell phone, eat and drink a sparkling beverage from the mini refer builtin between the two rear seats while he drives!

The rear seats are nice too. They are electric adjustable so you can really get comfortable watching DVDs in the back while wearing the wireless headsets. :)

The car has so many gadgets that now he wants to hire a driver so he can sit in back and enjoy them.

Bottomline: Take your car to a real high stereo place in your area. They can make your DVD play anytime you want it too. The place that did his work was in Rancho Mirage CA, near Palm Desert.

..rickko..
you see there is a reason his thing worked...Bentley and Rolls Royce do not use thier own stero equipment. If you look at cadillac, they have thier own bose and the system has theftlock and it basicalyl integrated into the entire car. Bantley and RR typically use alpine components and navigation systems that you can typically find in the aftermarket...this is why it is so easy to just throw in some screens and whatever else. None of the sound system or nav is connected to the car itself. Its all aftermarket stuff anyways.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
dnehthend said:
get some pics of your dad's XLR and post them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
ive heard of other people with setups like this fixing it (cars like the G35)

what they did is splice into the video monitor wires with a kind of RF modulator, plug in a different dvd player to that, when you pop a dvd into your new dvd, it will overide the navi. seems this would be MUCH easier than altering your oem to play dvd's, plus easily removeable for selling/warranty claims. maybe someone can better explain what im trying to say, but it works

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
damn does it really bother you guys that much? i think it would be nice just having a dvd player stock in the car. i mean are u really gonna watch movies while driving? i hope not. :tisk:

·
Registered
377 Posts
if you hooked up a rf modulator too, bypassing the stock dvd, you could hook up other things strait to the screen, like a ps2 :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
inmycadillac