'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP, Come on guys, I know one of you Cadillac Geniuses know the best way to proceed!!!!:yup:

·
Registered
'87 Brougham d'Elegance, '97 ETC, '10 Cobalt SS
112 Posts
I've never done it, and I am definitely not a lighting expert (know a little bit), but I have read up a bit about this on the cobalt forum I'm on.

In order to get the most out of these bulbs, you need to retrofit projectors into your reflector housings (proper way to do it). HID lights ARE NOT MEANT FOR FACTORY REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. The reflector housing is not designed for the hid bulbs, they are designed for halogen bulbs. They scatter the light instead of focus it in the main direction you want it to go. Halogen bulbs are designed for this.

To get a projector housing in your reflector housings, you have to take them apart (remove the lense), and install it. Depending on the housing, it may require cutting of the bowl in order to get the projector to fit. Like I said though, I've never done it. Only read some about it.

I'm not saying you can't put these bulbs in your car without a projector, you just shouldn't. It blinds other divers. If you want to anyways, this kit looks like it should work. It comes with the HID's, ballests, and a wiring adapter. If you have some wiring knowledge, you should be able to install it yourself. Most kits are plug and play. You should do some research on the brand to make sure you are getting good quality parts. Since it isn't eBay, it probably isn't horrible quality.

Now if you use daytime running lights, there is another part you have to buy for them to work properly as DRL's, and so they don't burn out premature. Or just disconnect the feature.

Just remember that having the proper housings (projector not reflector) makes a huge difference in light output and not blinding oncoming divers. You can usually tell when someone has HID's without projectors. The light is usually blinding and unrefined.

Example:

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,936 Posts
HID lights ARE NOT MEANT FOR FACTORY REFLECTOR HOUSINGS
Technically, that is not correct. There are OEM applications where HIDs are installed in reflector housings.

OP, buy from DDM Tuning. Best prices/quality for HIDs on the net. You don't need a relay harness. 6000k and up: higher the number, the bluer it gets. 4300k is whitish, below that, the lower the number the more yellow.

Align your capsules, don't blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Technically, that is not correct. There are OEM applications where HIDs are installed in reflector housings.
I have read that on a retrofit thread, and if I remember correctly, it was toyata that did it. They reworked the reflector bowl though, so it worked properly with HID'S. They didn't just stick an HID inside a standard reflector housing. But lile I said prior, I'm no expert. Most of what I've read is from people who have built multiple sets of retrofits.

If you end up aiming your lights down (so you don't blind others) what is really the point in having them? They won't be shining as far as regular bulbs than. The area they do light up will be brighter, but less distance.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
There should be no reason to do the change anyway. Stick with the proper bulbs the headlights were designed for.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The focal length of an HID bulb is different from that of an incandescent bulb. There are some ORM HID setups that use reflector type housings, but they're designed specifically for HIDs.

Installing HIDs in a standard reflector type housing is more than just annoying to other drivers. It puts less usable light on the road, and is illegal.

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 06 DTS Performance - Past 91Broughamd'Elegance,76FWBd'Elegance,98STS,00Eldorado,06STS
778 Posts
I put in some Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's in mine, And boy what a difference! They are kinda pricy but, they project out really far and are very bright. I also aimed the headlights properly. It feels like a have modern day headlights, and they look good at night.

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LED replacements are apparently the big thing now, aftermarket HIDs just don't last very long. View attachment 286145
This unit looks plug and play as it looks like the fitting of the Halogen bulbs in now. Can you tell me where you found this specific bulb??

EDIT: I seem to have answered my own question, guys. I'm seeing a lot of LED bulbs for headlamps that plug right into the stock 9004 socket. They are also significantly less expensive than HID's. I'm going to go into Autozone and Advance Auto Parts tomorrow and see what they have before buying online. thanks to all!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,936 Posts
Yes, and those millions of cars are using bulbs that make it extremely easy to outdrive their headlights. If you live in a rural area, 9004s are a safety issue. Look up the output of 9004s compared to other bulbs. Once you put better bulbs in you won't look back. You'll actually be able to look ahead ;) The matter isn't helped by GM's headlight switch that puts all the power through the switch resulting in a voltage drop. You can't go with a higher wattage bulb without going to a relay setup. I put Silverstars in one of my 9004 cars when they first came out, and there wasn't much improvement. That makes sense, they are simply a stock output bulb with a coating to make the output more "white". I went to a hi/low HID setup on my SS and finally was able to see. They have proper casper shields on the bulbs, are aimed correctly, and the light output is great. I have never been flashed.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Aimed properly I've never had a problem and most of my driving is out in the sticks. The light level is something I'm used to and can easily live with and never had the urge to change it. At least it seems like you've done the change right so many throw the parts at it and call it done not caring how it affects anybody else. What's just as bad as someone sticking whatever cheap ebay headlight they find into their car is the eye piercing custom LED tail lights, especially the ones that have no real difference between marker and stop/turn.
With all the other items in cars run off relays you would think headlights would have been one of the first things for manufacturer to do to get more power out of them and reduce the wiring and switch.

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: OK guys so evertything is going great so far. I switched most of the lights on the car to LED already (turn signals, back up lights, tail lights, cornering lights, license plate light, etc) They look fantastic!

I am waiting on my new LED headlamp bulbs to come in the mail. I will def post a vid or pics of the completed project!

One thing though: Since replacing the front turn signals to LED, the have been flashing strangely. Like faster, and the speed display and that stuff flashes with it. I believe I need a LED Flasher relay to handle the power and that's no problem, only thing is I CANT FIND the flasher relay on this thing!! I am reading online it is located by the fuse box under the steering wheel. I have searched this whole area and can't find it! I found the hazard relay but that's not what I need. Please can anyone advise the Turn signal flasher relay location on a 5.0 1991 Cadillac Brougham!! Many thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,936 Posts
Yes, it's up by your left foot, you have to pull the hush panel off the bottom of the column. You need an electronic "trailer" flasher, your LEDs aren't putting the correct load on the flasher.

Looking forward to the LED headlight update! How about pics of the other locations?

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If anyone could provide a picture or diagram that would b great because I pulled off all the panels and looked with a flashlight and just could not find it

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for double post but here are some pics. The car is garaged and it is snowing hard here so sorry for the lazy angles.

LED courtesy light compared to stock incandescent:

Cornering lamp LED:

Parking/turn signal LEDs:

Tail light and License Plate light LEDs:

Some pics of the location of where the signal flasher relay should be: I pulled all those grey square thingies one at a time and none of them were it. I also pulled that circular metal plug but it was for the Hazards only. Someone please point out the signal relay to me!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks good with LED's. I've been wanting to get some for my '87, but need to get it running first before spending money on extras.

If you still need a flasher, this is where I got my flasher for my Cavalier. It works really well.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/1991-cadillac-brougham--flashers+load+resistors/10-311--528376/

I don't know what type the Brougham needs, but this is the one I got for the Cavy. I have all LED bulbs in it (except for headlights, I like my GE Nighthawk Platinum's) and this flasher works perfect. Says it is compatible with a '91 Brougham.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/cf12anl-01-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/781/835/

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good with LED's. I've been wanting to get some for my '87, but need to get it running first before spending money on extras.
BigBlue, Thanks for the link! I wil def go there as soon as I find out whether my relay is 2 prong or 3.

And to everyone else, I FOUND THE SIGNAL RELAY!!! It was in the Steering Column!! Now if only I could figure out how to get it out of there...:suspense:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts