Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 cadillac deville dhs
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I made a thread about an after market projector lens for our car. The results were to either retrofit some or just go with PIAA lights bulbs. I seen this guy with halogen lens on a Lexus but his bulbs gave out light output very similar to HID. When I asked him what they were he said xenon halogen bulbs. He said they were very similar to HID with the little box (not sure what its called) attached to the bulb like HID. They looked good. Plus I'm looking for the HID look so I thought these would be perfect. Has anyone tried these? What are you guys thoughts and opinions on this?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Xenon and halogen are two of the gasses used inside a headlight, to allow the filament to last a reasonable amount of time, while burning at the highest possible temperature. An incandescent bulb containing xenon gas, will not necessarily burn any brighter, or at a different color temperature.

The "box" you referred to, is the igniter. For automotive use, the only HID bulb that has an igniter that is part of the bulb itself, is a D1S bulb. All other bulbs use ballasts that have built in igniters.

If there WERE boxes on the backs of his bulbs, they were HIDs (which is odd, since aftermarket HID systems almost never use D1S bulbs). If they were "xenon halogens", they were pretty much regular incandescent bulbs.

S

·
0 Posts
HID and halogen are two different things the HID look that people refer to are usually just halogens with a blue colored tip to give that whiteish blue look true HID is like moist cabbage said its a whole system bulb, ballast, harness and a relay to the battery 4200K is factory color HID also be careful with the so called HID look bulbs some are cheaply made with no regard to safety of the car example of that is the wattage of the bulb too high a wattage can melt the harness that plugs into the headlamps seen it happen all for that HID look

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah this guy said he sold cars and most Lexus come stock with these xenon halogen bulbs attached with an "igniter" which now that I think about it could've swore he called it a capacitor box or something of the sort (he may not have knew what he meant or was talking about). I'm just looking for the HID look but not too ricer though! More white with maybe a pinch of blue white. His definitely weren't HID though because I know what those look like. They were halogen bulbs in stock head lights similar to ours but with those "xenon" lights I mentioned. I asked him where to get them and he told me eBay.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Again, xenon is just one of the gasses used inside the bulb (when referring to incandescent bulbs) most use halogen, some use a mixture of halogen and xenon, some use a mixture of halogen and krypton. The bling bulb marketers make a big deal that their (incandescent) bulbs contain xenon, because the word is synonymous with HIDs.

As posted in your other thread, I'd suggest PIAA Intense White bulbs. If you really want a bit of blue, PIAA also makes an Xtreme White line of bulbs, which has a cool blue tinge.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Deville
18 Posts
I agree that "Halogen Xenon" is just a gimmick, where they are trying to sell bulbs to uneducated folks who think that Xenon automatically means HID. HID is a completely different technology than incandescent bulbs. With regards to bulb choice: I would also recommend the PIAA bulbs if you are looking for the HID look without going for true HID system. I have a set of the 100w 5000k colour temp PIAA bulbs on my Nissan Titan for the high beams, and they have been great bulbs and I have had them for over 5 years without replacing them. One thing I did install was an upgraded harness to deal with the extra power draw of the 100w bulbs. I got this idea from friends in the offroad community who were smoking their OEM harnesses using silverstars and other 100w bulbs, and then after upgrading harnesses, they never had issues. The upgraded harness cost only $15, so well worth it IMO. But I will add that no incandescent bulb is going to offer the brightness and longevity of a HID bulb. I have 35w 6000k HIDs in the low beams of my Titan, and really it floods out the light from the high beams completely. I rarely even use my high beams at all because the low beam HID is so bright. My 35w HIDs produce over 3000 lumens of light, whereas the 100w PIAAs are only rated for 1700 lumens. So that just goes to show that HID produces almost double the intensity of light for 1/3 of the power draw. Also, since HID is a plasma arc through a noble gas, there is no filament to burn out, and therefor it lasts much longer than traditional bulbs. In fact, most aftermarket HID manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on the bulbs. The one downfall of HID is that it doesn't work well with Auto headlights, and it can drain your battery if you leave your headlights in auto. Anyway, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that "Halogen Xenon" is just a gimmick, where they are trying to sell bulbs to uneducated folks who think that Xenon automatically means HID. HID is a completely different technology than incandescent bulbs. With regards to bulb choice: I would also recommend the PIAA bulbs if you are looking for the HID look without going for true HID system. I have a set of the 100w 5000k colour temp PIAA bulbs on my Nissan Titan for the high beams, and they have been great bulbs and I have had them for over 5 years without replacing them. One thing I did install was an upgraded harness to deal with the extra power draw of the 100w bulbs. I got this idea from friends in the offroad community who were smoking their OEM harnesses using silverstars and other 100w bulbs, and then after upgrading harnesses, they never had issues. The upgraded harness cost only $15, so well worth it IMO. But I will add that no incandescent bulb is going to offer the brightness and longevity of a HID bulb. I have 35w 6000k HIDs in the low beams of my Titan, and really it floods out the light from the high beams completely. I rarely even use my high beams at all because the low beam HID is so bright. My 35w HIDs produce over 3000 lumens of light, whereas the 100w PIAAs are only rated for 1700 lumens. So that just goes to show that HID produces almost double the intensity of light for 1/3 of the power draw. Also, since HID is a plasma arc through a noble gas, there is no filament to burn out, and therefor it lasts much longer than traditional bulbs. In fact, most aftermarket HID manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on the bulbs. The one downfall of HID is that it doesn't work well with Auto headlights, and it can drain your battery if you leave your headlights in auto. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Real helpful information and I respect your opinion (and everyone else's) because you have both PIAA and HID bulbs so can give your comparison. I agree the word xenon can confuse uneducated folks into thinking HID. However I didn't think that by any means. One thing I can't escape is HID IMO are one of the best set ups you can get. I LOVE my caddy but I HATE how they built this beautiful machine w/ out projectors! And decided to put them on the newer models. And like basscatt and moistcabbage have mentioned HID looks best in projector lens. Still not sure what I will go with. It will either be PIAA or I just may have pissed off drivers because of my bright ass HID. Also where did you get an upgraded harness, eBay? Any specific brand?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,227 Posts
Real helpful information and I respect your opinion (and everyone else's) because you have both PIAA and HID bulbs so can give your comparison. I agree the word xenon can confuse uneducated folks into thinking HID. However I didn't think that by any means. One thing I can't escape is HID IMO are one of the best set ups you can get. I LOVE my caddy but I HATE how they built this beautiful machine w/ out projectors! And decided to put them on the newer models. And like basscatt and moistcabbage have mentioned HID looks best in projector lens. Still not sure what I will go with. It will either be PIAA or I just may have pissed off drivers because of my bright ass HID. Also where did you get an upgraded harness, eBay? Any specific brand?
-----------------------
And like basscatt and moistcabbage have mentioned
HID looks best in projector lens

actually - I couldn't care less what they "look like" -
my only concern is HOW WELL THEY FUNCTION -
as in - how well they concentrate USEABLE light on the road -

--------------------------

before you even THINK about HID bulbs in your Deville -
look at the pic of the Deville in this link -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...734-help-bagging-94-cadillac-deville-22s.html

PLEASE look past the BLUE-BLING color of the pretty lights -

PLEASE notice that it is not dark outside -

PLEASE notice how far to the side the pic is taken from -

and PLEASE notice the amount of glare the headlights produce
even at that extreme side-angle -

imagine how much glare is created straight-on -

this is WHY HID bulbs can't be used in reflector type headlights -

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Ha! The glare from those lights is the first thing I noticed in the pic when that thread was first posted. I actually saved it so I could use it for reference in future threads on this subject.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Deville
18 Posts
Actually lots of OEM manufacturers use reflectors with HID lights (Lexus, volvo) but the housing has to be properly designed for the location of the light source. The plasma arc in HID bulbs is not at the same location as a filament would be in a conventional bulb, and that is why it scatters light like crazy. Think of a H1 setup where the same part of the housing is used for high and low beam, the only difference is that there are two filaments in the bulb, one for high and one for low beams. Anyway, I don't have any experience with the Cadillac housings and HID light scattering, but the housings in my Titan scatter very little light even though they were designed for a conventional bulb. On the other hand, I used to have a civic that I tried HID bulbs in, and it was absolutely terrible. With regards to harnesses , I just bought a non-name one from a local car audio shop, so search the web and I'm sure you can find something compatible. But I do think that a bi-xenon projector retrofit would be the best setup if you are willing to fork out the extra cash.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually lots of OEM manufacturers use reflectors with HID lights (Lexus, volvo) but the housing has to be properly designed for the location of the light source. The plasma arc in HID bulbs is not at the same location as a filament would be in a conventional bulb, and that is why it scatters light like crazy. Think of a H1 setup where the same part of the housing is used for high and low beam, the only difference is that there are two filaments in the bulb, one for high and one for low beams. Anyway, I don't have any experience with the Cadillac housings and HID light scattering, but the housings in my Titan scatter very little light even though they were designed for a conventional bulb. On the other hand, I used to have a civic that I tried HID bulbs in, and it was absolutely terrible. With regards to harnesses , I just bought a non-name one from a local car audio shop, so search the web and I'm sure you can find something compatible. But I do think that a bi-xenon projector retrofit would be the best setup if you are willing to fork out the extra cash.
Someone on the forum posted projector retrofits on here that were not too shabby. The problem is I'm ok with doing projects but not that crafty and don't think I would even go through the trouble. Like I said I'm either going to piss people off with the HID or just simply order some PIAA. Haven't really decided yet. I would love to see pics of a car with PIAA bulbs though.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Just to drive the point home a bit more, remember that HIDs in your housings will not only be quite annoying, and possibly dangerous, but also ILLEGAL.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know I know... thanx anyhow @moistcabbage. We will see what I decide. I may just give these PIAA lights a go and see how those work for me. Whatever the case I just need to change these yellow bulbs that are in now that cause this car to look "old fashioned" and clean up these head lights. So when I do that is when I'll decide. Again it would still be really nice to see pics with the PIAA since everyone is swearing by them.

----------

Oh and you know what really gets me is that eBay has so many after market projector head lights for a lot of cars but not ours. Hell, I even got some on my 3rd Gen camaro!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
Your original Sylvania or Wagner headlamp bulbs (and fogs) are about 3100K. The PIAA, GE Nighthawk, and Sylvania Ultras burn at about 4100K, a 25% color intensity increase. Look at the color temperature chart.

A 6000K bulb light temperature is noticeably blue - and actually puts quite a bit less light on the road than a 4100K bulb.

The 3100K is chosen for best overall lighting with long life. When you burn a filament bulb at 4100K the life decreases. That said, I've had the PIAA Intense White 9005's and 9006's in my headlamps for 7 years and they're still just fine. I do a LOT of nighttime rural road driving and those bulbs are practically impossible to "over drive". Not to say a deer won't jump out of the brush and doink the car - stuff happens.

If you live and drive primarily in the city you really don't need headlights anyway due to the gross over-lighting from stores and signs. If a headlight looks sort of bright in the city it looks like a huge anti-aircraft searchlight out on a rural road. Backlighting is deceptive.

I threw in the taillight bulb picture - those are the stock rear bulbs after 7 years - two of the clearest ones have burned out high filaments - one turn bulb, one brake. Might think about changing them all - front and back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts