Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question on another forum regarding swapping out the stock halogens with Xenon 9006 bulbs. My specific question is will installing these bulbs (80 watt) burn up my wiring harness or clear the fuse? My concern is that on the side of the package there is a message " Severe damage to your vehicle is possible with the use of a high wattage bulb" . I have visited several web sites that list this bulb (9006) as the one for the STS. Just want to know if anyone has ever used these and are they safe. ..

Thankk You..
dg

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
If these are those fake Xenon bulbs I wouldnt even touch anything but Sylvania Silverstars. I try to go only with real xenon in my cars, but if I HAD to use an aftermarket bulb it would be PIAA or Sylvania, your cars electrical system is FAR TOO COMPLICATED AND EXPENSIVE to trust it to Yao-Ten-Kim industries Superblue (thats just an example but you get the picture). YES it is possible to burn up your stock wiring, unlikely but COMPLETELY possible, and I would not call them safe.

The other thing you can do is order Harness kits specifically for these types of bulbs that would increase the safety factor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From your description, 85 watt Xenon bulb, I have to assume that what you have is a marketer trying to make you think you're getting a Xenon equivalent by providing you with a high wattage halgen bulb with blue tint to make it look like true Xenon (HID). You are only asking for trouble by putting an 85 watt bulb in a fixture that was designed for a 50 watt bulb (that's what the factory 9006 is). That's increasing the wattage (and heat) by 70% over what it was designed for. You may get lucky, and the harness, housing and other plastic parts might hold up. But what an expensive mess if it doesn't.

If you can't afford to do a true conversion to OEM HID, then the only thing I can recommend is a Sylvania Superstar halogen bulb. They are still only 50 watts, which is the max you should have, but they are a little whiter and brighter than factory halogen. These will give you slightly better performance than the factory 9006's, but without the risk of over-heating anything.

Just FYI........If you ever go to buy a bulb that is advertised as Xenon and it is over 35 watts, it's a fake. True Xenon bulbs that are part of an HID system are only 35 watts, less than factory halogen. True Xenon's are so much brighter because of the lumens they put out, not the wattage.

Good luck to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
ScottM6193