Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if any of you are having similar problems or have even heard of this.

It started with my driver side door I stick the key in and cant turn the lock at all. Now I cant get the trunk open either except through the inside. Now everytime i get in I have to walk around to the passenger side and unlock my car I'm just trying to solve this problem before all my locks crap out and im stuck out of my car.

Also are you supposed to be able to lock your glove box? If so that doesnt work either.

·
Registered
927 Posts
MattMoMoney said:
I'm just wondering if any of you are having similar problems or have even heard of this.

It started with my driver side door I stick the key in and cant turn the lock at all. Now I cant get the trunk open either except through the inside. Now everytime i get in I have to walk around to the passenger side and unlock my car I'm just trying to solve this problem before all my locks crap out and im stuck out of my car.

Also are you supposed to be able to lock your glove box? If so that doesnt work either.
im guessing its because of the cold try lock dr-icer on them or at least lube them up a little

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ocjmakaveli said:
im guessing its because of the cold try lock dr-icer on them or at least lube them up a little
I live in houston it aint cold. Im about to go try wd 40 thanx for responses

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
You may end up needing to pull the door panel and inspecting the linkage. Depending on the mileage, it may be somethng like a groove worn into the mechanism causing the lock to hang up. To check, disconnect the lock rod and see if the key works. If it does, its the mechanism. If it doesnt, its the tumbler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveSmed said:
You may end up needing to pull the door panel and inspecting the linkage. Depending on the mileage, it may be somethng like a groove worn into the mechanism causing the lock to hang up. To check, disconnect the lock rod and see if the key works. If it does, its the mechanism. If it doesnt, its the tumbler.
what exactly is the lock rod how do i get the lock out of the door? (isnt there metal in the way?)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
GM is dead against WD-40. The solvents in it destroy the protective coatings in the lock making it prone to sticking and failure. I know, my Suburban had ALL locks frozen when I got it. I got 2 freed up, and one I still haven't been able to. The tumblers got stuck in the up (or down) position, where it had bene pushed too far.

GM recommends motor oil.

90Brougham350 said:
Put the little red nozzle on a can of WD-40, fits perfectly into the lock hole.

·
Registered
927 Posts
it could be a corrupted lock as nodih said the tumblers go bad when we bought our 2000 suburban the lock itself went bad i had to remove it and have it rebuilt

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Do you have more than 1 key to try out. It sounds like the key is either a bad copy or has been damaged. The glovebox lock should last 100 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Ape Man said:
Do you have more than 1 key to try out. It sounds like the key is either a bad copy or has been damaged. The glovebox lock should last 100 years.
i have 2 sets of keys and i got a new door key made still doesnt work

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Sounds like a tumbler got stuck. Squirt some 5W30 or some motor oil in, and then move the key up and down while it is in. Keep working them tumblers and see if it frees up. If it just did it, it might loosen up just as easily. If you leave it it may stay that way for a long time!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
You can use sewing machine or 4 in one machine oil too, that is also recommended. They often has small bottles that fit well. WalMart sells a small bottle in the automotive dept that has a nice long extension on it that will get in there. Just prop open the little flapper and dump some in.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
It took me a while to get my Suburban locks to loosen up, and I broke the crappy pot metal retainer on the drivers side banging on it (don't do this, it does nothing bur break things.... I thought my key wasn't going in far enough...)

The pass side just took time. The rear now, I STILL can't get loose. I have been at it around 1time a month for the last year....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i put 10w 30 ( all i had) and that didnt work but im going to let it sit for tonight. has anyone heard of MMO i was thinking of trying that & or car/choke cleaner, brake cleaner?

·
Registered
1978 Seville, 1979 Seville, 1979 Seville diesel, 1980 Eldo
142 Posts
Go to AutoZone, buy a set of 3 locks, get them keyed the same...replace ALL of them. Use Graphite ONLY as a lube.

FRANKO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts