Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is everyone getting this incredibly annoying intellitext hyperlinking adware only on this website?:annoyed: For a forum that has so many supporting members, I can't understand why we have to put up with things like epileptic banners, tracking software, micromoderating and now this BS:bomb:. Are we subsidizing someone's addictive habit here:alchi:. What happened to our beloved forum?:wtf:I think some of this :hitstick: may be in order. And maybe some of this :thepan: too.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree, I don't like it either. Forum leaders need to find a different way or this site's member lists will get small soon.

It is extremely ANNOYING! Yes, I know it can be disabled. It should be disabled by default. I personally don't like advertisements going off in something I post (indicates that I support it).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ve posted about this previously. Unnecessary, obtrusive and obnoxious direction the advertisements have gone. Come on Moderators, you guys have been so great. Why get sucked into this junk?!

P.S. Notice how this thread was “redirected”? :helpless:

·
Registered
03 Escalade, 06 SRX
6,888 Posts
Barak said:
Is it just me or is everyone getting this incredibly annoying intellitext hyperlinking adware only on this website?:annoyed: For a forum that has so many supporting members, I can't understand why we have to put up with things like epileptic banners, tracking software, micromoderating and now this BS:bomb:. Are we subsidizing someone's addictive habit here:alchi:. What happened to our beloved forum?:wtf:I think some of this :hitstick: may be in order. And maybe some of this :thepan: too.
You can turn it off. Here is a link to the thread already started on this topic. It should help.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53419

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
the only other way to generate the revenue needed to keep this monster of a site going is to incentivize becomeing a supporting member ...meaning when avatars come back youll have to be a supporting memeber to have one , to be able to attach a picture youd have to be a supporting memeber , sal doesnt want it to get to that point , by and large the benifts that we supporting members enjoy are the same you enjoy , damn good deal ....to keep that going with the lack of supporting members sal has to put ads here .....

this stuff aint cheap ....i got no idea exactly how much it costs , but keep in mind were handleing 30,000 diffrent people in one "location" ...

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
how much does it cost per year to keep this site running?

I run a site for chrysler sebring owners with zero ads, signatures, and avatars and a photogallery for users for under $200 a year.

also when the time comes for me to pay the bill i make a post about it and a lot of members are willing to donate at that time. I have only once had to make up for not enough donations. from our last years donations we have $34 left over. :)

if anyone wants to look around go to http://www.sebringclub.net/

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
the only other way to generate the revenue needed to keep this monster of a site going is to incentivize becomeing a supporting member ...meaning when avatars come back youll have to be a supporting memeber to have one , to be able to attach a picture youd have to be a supporting memeber , sal doesnt want it to get to that point , by and large the benifts that we supporting members enjoy are the same you enjoy , damn good deal ....to keep that going with the lack of supporting members sal has to put ads here .....

this stuff aint cheap ....i got no idea exactly how much it costs , but keep in mind were handleing 30,000 diffrent people in one "location" ...
Wait, so now non supporting memebers won't have avatars OR a sig?

this place is really going down the hole...

another reason why I refuse to be a supporting member AGAIN (after all, I was for about a year) when our friend B*B*O*B vanished... thats it, all his posts went away, you can't say his name or the filters change it, and the threads get deleted about talking about it.... its a freakin internet site, not some top secret CIA thing going on here, tell us what happened, and that would be a start to making me start to enjoy this place more.

Everythig is ads though... the sections are "sponsored by...... no one yet" WTF are we going to have "welcome to the Mobil 1 sponsored HT4100/4.5/4.9 room.... you can't mention any other brand, because Mobil pays us for this thing)

The other site, when I say is 100% free, I mean... there is no "supporting member" EVERYONE gets avatar, sigs, unlimited picture hosting, and the only ads are 2, very small banner ads at the top, which according to the admin, nearly pays most of the cost of the place as it is. That site has around 12,000 people, but when we switched from phpBB to Vbullitin, we lost all (at the time) 8,000 members, alot came back, some didn't.

I wonder how much bandwidth is used to upload the stupid graphics for the ads, and all the little GIF's and stuff.

I realize this cost money to run, but when the WHOLE place is loaded with ads, they are on the top, the whole side, and the bottom, when forums are sponsored by someone, when there are rooms dedicated to all the vendors, when the freakin text you type has links (yey it can be turned off) it is just getting annoying... either Sal is getting ripped off on the ad min costs, or the ad companies are paying pennis for this space, because there is really no way there should be THIS MUCH advertising, and STILL not breaking even... I just don't believe that....

And I wonder where our beloved friend B*B*O*B is... I hink the lame excuse someone came up with was that GM "found out" what he was doing (helping people on an internet site) and wanted to erase him from existance... something like that... maybe he never even worked at GM, who knows, but why keep it from every one?

Maybe if there was a CHEAPER supporting member feature, I would do that, ALL other sites I have been to, that have the option of paying, are $25/year (not $60 year) Maybe we could pick and choose the features we want... all I really want is an avatar and a sig (because on nearly all the other sites, that is included for free.

$60/year, that is $120 for 2 years...

know what I got for $120/ 2 years ($118 to be specific)

I got my own website, my own www.mydomain.com, with about 9,600mb of storage space and 144gb of bandwidth/month, unlimited e-mail... and millions of other features I don't use, since the only reason I use that website is for picture hosting, video hosting and stuff like that... no, I am not saying to run this site from that.... but for $120/2 years I can be a "supporting member" here, or for $120 for 2 years, I can have my own website... which means I can upload an unlimited amount of pictures, then link them here.... now if it was $50/2 years here, maybe that woudl be different. I don't care about a "supporting memeber" icon (yey, tell everyone I give money) I on't care about some photo gallery I never use, I don't care about doubling my picture space from a massive 2MB to an insane 4MB, all I wanted was a freakin avatar and sig, but now both of that is taken away... so thats ok, I don't need little pictures for people to know who I am, I have been here long enough, people know my name, and I still have my own website, for the same cost of being a supporting member... to have unlimited picture, video, music uploads... anything... so as far as I care, I win both ways.

Will I get flammed? oh yeah... but I have been wanting to say this for awhile... there was just not the right time.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
iametarq said:
how much does it cost per year to keep this site running?

I run a site for chrysler sebring owners with zero ads, signatures, and avatars and a photogallery for users for under $200 a year.

also when the time comes for me to pay the bill i make a post about it and a lot of members are willing to donate at that time. I have only once had to make up for not enough donations. from our last years donations we have $34 left over. :)

if anyone wants to look around go to http://www.sebringclub.net/
I agree.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
wolf your misunderstanding me here .....

to get more people to donate we would have to give them an incentive , like if you want your avatar youll have to pay ....but we didnt , sal took everyones avatar away for secuirty reasons ...so to keep it where everyone got the same features supporting memeber or not he had to run the ads ....

feel free to pm me as always

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
As a fellow Site Administrator, like Sal, I am greatful for what he has done to build a site like this for Cadillac Owners. I did the same for Chrysler Owners.

I have 20GB of space. I don't have as many members as this site (if this site truly has 8,000 members) but we don't have any problems at our sites, I also don't have any moderators as of yet, just one fellow site admin who does Convertible of the month type things and takes care of club merchandise.

If we tried I bet we could make this site Ad Free. (and i mean without using Firefox's Ad blocking add-ons!)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
wolf your misunderstanding me here .....

to get more people to donate we would have to give them an incentive , like if you want your avatar youll have to pay ....but we didnt , sal took everyones avatar away for secuirty reasons ...so to keep it where everyone got the same features supporting memeber or not he had to run the ads ....

feel free to pm me as always
incentive? telling me what happened to B*b*o*b would be a start, and maybe so I don't have to add the damn * to mention the name.

Really, there shoudln't be any incentive... peoepl should want to do it because they really like that place... I know if the Grand Am club I belong to would take donations, I would donate "just because" but they don't even want any donations. Keep in mind, I *WAS* a supporting member for about a year....what do I have to show for that now? nothing.

Like I have said before... $5 may not seem like alot... but when you are not working, it adds up, especially when you look at the end figure... $60/year.... it isn't that I don't want to help out... its just that I don't feel I was getting my $60/year worth, so to say... even when I *was* paying $60/year I didn't feel that way, but finally a few things threw me over the edge where I just said enough was enough. Not to mention.... these ads... I am sick of them, but my $5/month wont make them go away so I'll countinue to be $5 richer... why not have it so supporting memebers don't have to deal with the ad's? hows that for incentive?

no avatar for security reasons? wtf? well, that is 1 less thing I now care about from the supporting member deal... so whats left? a signature for me to write "~Rick" list my 3 cars and throw a picture of the Coupe on? not worth $5/month, sorry.

I dunno, maybe it is just me... but this place dosn't have the "home" feeling that other places have... everything has to be so critical.

All I gotta say is, this is the *ONLY* Cadillac site around, if there was another, anything.... I think alot of the member base would switch over if there was one bit of compatition.

Stoneage, the 1 guy that helped you the most, told you about the car etc... you can not even mention his name... does that make you feel good? I suppose you know the "truth" since you are on the "inside" although you never did reply to my PM I sent a while back.

Want to cut down on bandwidth? delete all the freakin' useless 100 page threads in the off topic room... there is no reason for that, all it is, is a way to have a post count war... yey, I have 5,000posts, I have 10,000 posts, 15,000 post...yeah, delete all those threads and watch that number get cut 1/4.

I wonder exactly how many people here are supporting members...

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Banner Ads:
• 468x60 banner ad near the top of all forum, photo, and classified pages: $100.00 per month

ok, doing some reloads, I counted *6* different banner ads at the top of the site... does that mean 6 different compainies paying $100/month... so that banner add on the top that changes each time is getting $600/month?!?

Ad Cubes and buttons:
• 120x45 ad button on the left side of all forum, photo and classified pages: $40.00 per month
• 120x60 ad cube on the left side of all forum, photo and classified pages: $50.00 per month
• 120x100 ad cube on the left side of all forum, photo and classified pages: $60.00 per month

I count a good 15 of those "cube" ads, lets average it that they cost $50/month. that is $750/month from those cube ads.

Skyscraper ads (120x300 / 160x300):
• 120x300 skyscraper ad on the left side of all forum, photo and classified pages: $100.00 per month

Skyscraper ads (120x600 / 160x600):
• 120x600 skyscraper ad on the left side of all forum, photo and classified pages: $150.00 per month

OOOOOO "skyscraper ads" wow, that sounds good... I just counted 2 120x300 and 1 120x600... does that mean there is a total of $350 from the "skyscraper ads"?

Advertising in our weekly newsletter (currently over 16,000 subscribers):
• 468x60 banner ad: $100.00 per month (four mailings total)
• 120x100 ad cube: $50.00 per month (four mailings total)
• Text link: $25.00 per month (four mailings total)

lol, the stupid newsletter that would tell you what threads are being used... and.... another way to advertise... I canceled that spam a long time again... but I bet there are a couple banner ads, few cube ads and a whole bunch of text links.... I don't even know how much I should figure in there... I dunno... maybe $200 would be a very safe bet?

Text links:
• Text link at the bottom of all forum, photo and classified pages: $25.00 per month

I count about 15 text links, not counting Sal's other sites... 15x 25 = $75/month.

total of $1,975/month in advertisment fees... and this is on the safe side.... surely this can't be right, I mean that is $23,700, not to mention how much those stupid link words in the posts are... and... most of all, all the supporting members... how many do we have? a solid 25? so 25x5 = $125/month... oh yeah, lets not forget the support vendors at $20/month, we have *23* supporting vendors, so 23x20 = $460 from the supporting venders...

I mean, if all this is right, with all the ads, supporting vendor and suppoting member, that comes to a grand total of $30,720/year that this site rakes in.... this can't be right and my math has to be wrong somewhere, because there is no way possible this site cost anywehre near that much to run, yet still dosn't break even

who knows, I was just having fun with numbers..... either way it seems like there is definitly alot of money going in, and coming out of this place....

BTW please don't tell me the American Red Cross has to pay $150/month for that 120x600 "mega super dooper skyscraper" ad.... that would just be wrong....

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I just counted *102* supporting members.... and that was only until page 18 of the member list, I know there are alot more....

and I thought 25 heh, yeah right.

So I'd save a good $550/month JUST from what a select amount of the members pay.....wow.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Want to cut down on bandwidth? delete all the freakin' useless 100 page threads in the off topic room... there is no reason for that, all it is, is a way to have a post count war... yey, I have 5,000posts, I have 10,000 posts, 15,000 post...yeah, delete all those threads and watch that number get cut 1/4.
While I'm not sure what the "off topic room" is that you refer to, surely you don't mean the "post your picture here thread?! Say it aint so Ricky!! :suspense: And are they "useless" if they are still being used? How do you define "useless." What are there like a total of 3 or 4 threads with post counts that high??

I know that everytime someone posts a pic in the Roaming Ralph thread I don't just go "yey, I have 10,000 views," it's more like this.. :woohoo: :dance: :cheers: :wes:

:bigroll:

I say delete all the members who don't post anymore and/or who have not posted in 6 months at least. If they haven't posted in that long, chances are they are not serious about coming back imo. I'll bet that more than half of the 30k total members are no longer with us, but signed on only for curiousity sake and are LONG gone.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Bob asked me to delete him from the site to save his job and I did.

The reason avatars are an issue is because there's a security hole having something to do with the upload form. Malicious hackers are finding ways to upload executable scripts through the form with .gif, .jpg, etc. file extensions. Attachments have been secured and avatars will be to. However, it may not be until the next upgrade - coming soon...

Most of our advertisers are not paying the full price to advertise here. They pay in bulk and get various discounts. Also, those who've been advertising since we first started accepting ads are still paying the original prices (they're grandfathered at those prices as long as they keep advertising consecutively) - and, they've been discounted for purchasing months in advance as well... There are 7 cube ads and 4 button ads - button ads cost even less.. There's one mini-skyscraper ad (discounted and purchased in bulk). The large skyscraper is from an ad network and pays a few cents a day - every little bit helps. We have no paid text link ads - they're a link exchange program. The Red Cross and any other charity ad you see on this site pays nothing at all...

At corvetteforum.com, there are 110 ads at the left side of all forum pages. 110 and they all pay more than vendors pay here. How many banner ads are they running? Count here: http://www.corvetteforum.com/vendor/vendors.php - about 50. And they all pay more than vendors pay here. Individual forums are sponsored by vendors, they have a supporting member program... If we had that kind of support, then we wouldn't need these little extras to cover costs. There are much smaller sites out there paying much more to advertise than here. I didn't start the advertising program with making a fortune in mind. I only want to cover the cost of running the site.

What most people don't realize is when a site generates the kind of traffic we have here, costs go through the roof. It's not just drive space and bandwidth either - there are administrative costs involved as well. And on top of everything, I needed to give up an excellent paying part-time job to spend time here to keep this place running. That's a lot of money out of my pocket. Is that fair? This site cuts into my full-time job as well. When I get a notification that the site is slower than usual I have to stop everything and find out why. Some things I can handle, some things I cannot. The things that I cannot cost $90.00 an hour for a professional to take care of.

Most people here understand the need for ad support. In fact, most people on the internet understand the need for ad support. Just go ask the people on corvetteforum.com with over 160 running advertisements. When we get that type of ad support, supporting member costs can be lowered and easy to opt-out link programs like IntelliText can be avoided...

Have you ever lost sleep over this forum? Have you ever called-in sick to your job because you had to spend the entire day recovering from a malicious hack? This type of thing happens all the time. It comes with the territory of running a high-traffic, high-profile web site. And if this ever becomes a full-time job for me, you'd better bet I'm going to make a living out of it. If I don't, then who's going to support me?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Jesda said:
The long threads where forum members get to know one another and have casual conversations? The first step to building a successful community is making good friends. :)
yup.

There is no need for a thread to be over 100 pages long like that, it isn't anything technical, it is people telling each other hello.

Notive how I didn't say delete everything and never allow it again?

once a month start a new post-whore thread, since that's all it is, then have your getting to know one another and casual conversations, and steps to building a successful community in those... seeing all these mega page threads gets old, and surely can't be helpng our bandwidth.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Night Wolf said:
incentive? telling me what happened to B*b*o*b would be a start, and maybe so I don't have to add the damn * to mention the name.

Stoneage, the 1 guy that helped you the most, told you about the car etc... you can not even mention his name... does that make you feel good? I suppose you know the "truth" since you are on the "inside" although you never did reply to my PM I sent a while back.

I wonder exactly how many people here are supporting members...
WOLF , like i said feel free to pm me , i always awnser my PMs , ALWAYS , so if i didnt reply its becuse i never got it , i consider you a freind ...i tried to PM you last night to explain as i didnt want it all over this board , but your box is full ...

i miss that guy more than you people realize , and some of you know it ...it was a dream of mine to know people who did work to design a vhecile i drove, to have the person help me out ment alot to me ....and ill do whatever is nessesary to protect him ....

im not some brainwashed monster mod ...im just like you ....sals not some evil mob boss and im not a hitman .... belive me .....if you saw the arugments ive had with sal youd be amazed hes even let me stay here ....or that i have elected to stay ....a person can be loyal and eithical....

please feel free to pm me ....whenever you need .....i still look forward to shakeing your hand when you arrive to the bay area ...

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Night Wolf said:
yup.

There is no need for a thread to be over 100 pages long like that, it isn't anything technical, it is people telling each other hello.

Notive how I didn't say delete everything and never allow it again?

once a month start a new post-whore thread, since that's all it is, then have your getting to know one another and casual conversations, and steps to building a successful community in those... seeing all these mega page threads gets old, and surely can't be helpng our bandwidth.
ill agree it should NOT count towards post count .....but i do like having the lounge ...but i belive post counts should only count for technical posts , i take great pride on our technical sections , and the information contained ...

that employees information was not lost , its in each of us that were here when he was .....its our job to reguritiate that information when we can ....

and ill admit , ive lost sight of the technical aspect , but ill blame that on hormones .....have you seen the girls that were posting int he lounge before i scared them off ???? LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.