Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
38 Posts
I'm thinking 5th tier tires. Buy Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear performance tires. You may pay a little more but they are round.

As for the alignment, on my 2010 CTS V I had alignment problems. I had an alignment done at a local dealer. I promplty wore both new front tires severely on the inside after just a few miles. I bought new ones and went to the "premier Cadillac Dealer" and had it aligned. They are they best dealer in Dallas, right? What can go wrong? Same problem. Severe wear. Another set of front tires. Homework time on the alignment for a CTS V. What I found is that there are some torque specifications on an alignment that call for torque values well above 200 foot pounds. That is a 3/4" torque wrench and is close to maxing it's capabilities out. I suspect most shops don't have them. I took it to a local independent, explained the problem, gave them my homework and shazam, they aligned it. There were zero problems with tire wear after that.

I have 208,000 miles on this car and the front end is still tight. I have never had any work done or needed. I suspect most, if not all, of your front end was tight as well.

Idiots that don't know what they are doing assembling front ends cannot possibly align a car. In addition to your other problems I say they are not properly torquing the bolts after the alignment. End of story. Do homework if you can and find a mechanic/dealer that has pride in their work. Assuming they have a qualified front end guy.

There is some type of washer that can be installed on those bolts that will do a good job of locking them into place. I just can't remember what they are called. Someone in this forum might know. I have not used them but some swear by them. If torque values are done as they should be the washers are not needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T coupe
30 Posts
I'm thinking 5th tier tires. Buy Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear performance tires. You may pay a little more but they are round.

As for the alignment, on my 2010 CTS V I had alignment problems. I had an alignment done at a local dealer. I promplty wore both new front tires severely on the inside after just a few miles. I bought new ones and went to the "premier Cadillac Dealer" and had it aligned. They are they best dealer in Dallas, right? What can go wrong? Same problem. Severe wear. Another set of front tires. Homework time on the alignment for a CTS V. What I found is that there are some torque specifications on an alignment that call for torque values well above 200 foot pounds. That is a 3/4" torque wrench and is close to maxing it's capabilities out. I suspect most shops don't have them. I took it to a local independent, explained the problem, gave them my homework and shazam, they aligned it. There were zero problems with tire wear after that.

I have 208,000 miles on this car and the front end is still tight. I have never had any work done or needed. I suspect most, if not all, of your front end was tight as well.

Idiots that don't know what they are doing assembling front ends cannot possibly align a car. In addition to your other problems I say they are not properly torquing the bolts after the alignment. End of story. Do homework if you can and find a mechanic/dealer that has pride in their work. Assuming they have a qualified front end guy.

There is some type of washer that can be installed on those bolts that will do a good job of locking them into place. I just can't remember what they are called. Someone in this forum might know. I have not used them but some swear by them. If torque values are done as they should be the washers are not needed.

Good luck.
Its hard to find someone that knows how to align the front end of a vehicle. Most tire shops don't. I'm not sure dealers do a good job. There was a place in Toledo that was independent. That's all he did. Straighten frames, rebuilt front ends and alignment. Some years ago he closed. Im happy I haven't needed him. I had a Jensen Healy at one time that a tire shop messed up the front end jacking it up in the wrong place.. They couldnt fix it. I finally took it to this guy I mentioned.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
518 Posts
The washers are called Nord-Lock. They are installed 2 together with the serrated edge facing inside (together) with both outsides smooth. There are different versions dependent on the pitch of the threads of the bolt. They work. They are expensive. Good Luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm going with new tires guys, the tires i have on the car are travelstar tires 225/60/17, and recently the guy who aligned the car said these tires aren't suppose to be on the car
i should have 235/55/17. Discount tire told me the tires would fit because they are similar in size, but the alignment place i recently went to said these tires aren't suppose to be on the car. So i'm going to go with some tires that are the original size, as i don't remember having these problems before i put the travelstar tires on the car. The white wall does look nice, but they have to go. The ride is horrible, and i'm still getting a slight vibration at highway speeds, after multiple balance and alignment jobs.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
127 Posts
Always do your due diligence before going to a tire shop. I would stick with the size of tires that is shown on the driver's side door jam and then start my research. Almost every time I've purchased a set of tires they had to be special ordered because the shop did not carry them. Most discount or chain tire shops are going to try and sell you what they have, not what you want or need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Always do your due diligence before going to a tire shop. I would stick with the size of tires that is shown on the driver's side door jam and then start my research. Almost every time I've purchased a set of tires they had to be special ordered because the shop did not carry them. Most discount or chain tire shops are going to try and sell you what they have, not what you want or need.
Totally agreed. Im going with thr original tire size. I should had at first, but me wanting white walls really badly ended up costing me in the end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello guys, I've been having a shake in my steering wheel. At first it started at about 62 and continued from there. Changed front and rear calipers and brake pads, and hoses. The vibration is now starting at 70.

I'm convinced it's the tires arent for the car. I have 225/60/17 travelstar tires. Now every website said these wont fit, but discount tires said they would because the tire is similar to the original size.

However when I put the tires on, the guys who put them on said the car was aligned but it wasn't so i went to a really good alignment shop. Specs were perfect however still had a vibration. Discount tire balanced the tires and said one was slightly unbalanced, but still vibration after. I also noticed on the wheels they used a lot of weights!

Will getting new tires fix this problem? I'm going back to original 235 55 17 sized tires.
Any thoughts? I'm really convinced its the tires at this point.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
127 Posts
Did your old tires give you the same problem? If not, I think there's only one way to find out... buy new tires.

Before that, do you feel the vibration coming from all 4 corners? Maybe a quick rotation might expose other options in diagnosis? In the mean time I would save all my receipts and get the names of the people you talked to because you're going to probably have to prosecute you point with the people you bought the bad tires from (in case the new tires fix the problem).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,666 Posts
Moderator EDIT: Three threads on the same problem by the same OP have been merged into this thread. Please read the entire thread for continuity. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did your old tires give you the same problem? If not, I think there's only one way to find out... buy new tires.

Before that, do you feel the vibration coming from all 4 corners? Maybe a quick rotation might expose other options in diagnosis? In the mean time I would save all my receipts and get the names of the people you talked to because you're going to probably have to prosecute you point with the people you bought the bad tires from (in case the new tires fix the problem).
old tires did not give me this problem ride was a lot smoother. I have some new tires coming this Thursday and im going to switch them out. Hopefully this fix the problem. Just wanted more opinions on the situation to see if anyone else had experience with this problem.

Moderator EDIT: Three threads on the same problem by the same OP have been merged into this thread. Please read the entire thread for continuity. Thanks.
thank you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,666 Posts
Go back and read Post #8. Good tires and attention to detail is necessary for smooth operation in our FWD cars.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
98 Posts
Go back and read Post #8. Good tires and attention to detail is necessary for smooth operation in our FWD cars.
Indeed, "Billie Joe's black and round may pops" and the expectation that the car will drive and ride well is unreasonable. You're not usually going to get good tires cheap. If your steering wheel is not straight after an alignment, you didn't really get a complete alignment. If there is still a vibration issue you still have one or more of the following: cheap tires, a bent or out of round wheel, a balance issue, dirty mounting surfaces, or loose parts. I've spent a long time in the automotive repair business. Wheel alignment IS an exact science. This may not be easy, but, find an alignment shop that has an old wrinkled up tech. Tell them what you have done and what you are experiencing. If the tech is truly an old hand, he'll know what to do. Start with going back to discount tires and making them give you credit for the inferior tires they put on and get good tires. Sorry for the rant, I abhor when shops don't care enough or have the experience to take care of business.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got tires changed today, and my car now glides. It's so smooth I looked up and noticed I was doing 80mph easy lol.

To everyone please put the correct size tires on your car. Go with the factory recommended tire please if you don't have after market wheels. I had travelstar un106 225/60/17 on my car at first and my caddy drove horrible.
Please put the correct tire size on your car.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2007 DTS
84 Posts
Thanks for posting the update to let everyone know what it was. I learned the hard way as well, with a Mercedes SLK I had, that cheap tires are not worth it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for posting the update to let everyone know what it was. I learned the hard way as well, with a Mercedes SLK I had, that cheap tires are not worth it.
Car glides now, i speed right through the 60s, and cruise at 75. I have to now get my alignment re done though, as the difference in tire sizes through it off.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,280 Posts
Glad you solved it. The DTS ride is very dependant on the tires. I follow the recommended tire pressure od 30psi. Even a few psi higher and the ride feels stiff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Glad you solved it. The DTS ride is very dependant on the tires. I follow the recommended tire pressure od 30psi. Even a few psi higher and the ride feels stiff.
Man discount tire inflated my new tires to 38 psi, I immediately pulled over and drained them down to 30.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,280 Posts
Man discount tire inflated my new tires to 38 psi, I immediately pulled over and drained them down to 30.
The tire shop put mine at 35 psi car rode terrible. Dropped them to 30 psi and the ride was smooth.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
232 Posts
The XTS came with HyPer Strut front suspension, which is supposed to reduce these sensitivity problems--and torque steer, too. I don't believe the newer XT4-5-6 have it, however, so I wonder how well it works.

The Continentals on my front axles ride noticeably smoother than the Michelins which have been demoted to the rear, where they don't wear down enough to get rid of anytime soon. The Bridgestones CARMAX put on it were worst of all.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts