Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nov 29 7:15pm CST.

So the oil change place puts in 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 (I don't notice until I check the bill at home).

Then they write a note on the bill--stating that there is a leak due to the drain plug having been overtightened the last time oil change was done (I guess they didn't realise it was done by them too).

I am in the process of talking to management--what should I expect and could there be any damage while I am driving home and to work and back to them tomorrow to have the oil changed (and to purchase a new drain plug and having them pay for it).

Thanks for all advice--time is of essence--but even if you read and reply to this late we can all learn from your thoughts/advice.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I wouldn't expect any damage by using 5W-30 instead of 10W-30. I did it myself once, right after I bought the car.

If they wrote on the bill that the plug was over tightened and caused a leak, do you have a receipt from that last visit? it'd really help in getting them to fix the leak at their cost. good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
I don't think that it would hurt the car at all by having the different weight in there for the oil, especially over a 24 hour period. If you have that receipt, show them and first try to politely tell them that you expect them to take care of it since it was a problem that they caused. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Likewise, I would not expect any damage from 5W30.

What happened by the over tightening? Stripped threads? If so, where? On the plug or the pan? If it is on the pan, you'll need an oversized plug. I think they are self threading so as to cut new threads when installed. If that is the case, I would not let those grease monkey's do it.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger said:
Likewise, I would not expect any damage from 5W30.

What happened by the over tightening? Stripped threads? If so, where? On the plug or the pan? If it is on the pan, you'll need an oversized plug. I think they are self threading so as to cut new threads when installed. If that is the case, I would not let those grease monkey's do it.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

The statement only specifies that there is an oil leak due to the plug being over tightened. How do I find out?

I called the manager, Kevin, and he said he's having the lube shop manager (Sean) call me--that was an hour ago and still no call.

To top it all off, I think they overfilled it. When I let it sit, it's above MAX. I saw them put 8 qts in last time (7500 miles ago).

·
Super Moderator
86,793 Posts
Make sure you are under the car with him. Don't let them give you any B.S. about insurance not allowing you in there. Inspect the threads on the plug. Tighten it yourself and see if it can be snugged up properly without slipping (stripped threads). Maybe by over tightening it, they simply split the nylon gasket, if you are lucky.

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
Ranger said:
Make sure you are under the car with him. Don't let them give you any B.S. about insurance not allowing you in there. Inspect the threads on the plug. Tighten it yourself and see if it can be snugged up properly without slipping (stripped threads). Maybe by over tightening it, they simply split the nylon gasket, if you are lucky.
Good point Ranger. Don't let him give you any crap. If they hadn't screwed your car up in the first place, you wouldn't have to be there.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ranger said:
So basically either way, the oil must come out... then I am just wondering how I would go to purchase the new plug or gasket to fit (to come back and re-check). What a nightmare.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
You might want to check the owner's manual of your car. In the winter, when the temps are colder, GM might say it's ok to use the next thinner grade of oil. Refer to your owner's manual to verify this, I might be wrong. Perhaps 5w-30 is okay your vintage of N*, but check your manual to confirm. I don't think it hurt anything now or in the long run to have 5w-30 for such a short time.

However, a stripped drainplug/drainhole is a different matter.

DON'T let them fix it. If they agree it's damaged, take it to the DEALER and let the lube shop pay for it directly. Get the repair done right. It sound like you'll need a new drainplug with the associated gasket/washer. Again, have them pay for everything.

I had a simlar issue with a quick lube place - they left out the lube filler plug for the transfer case in my 4x4. I drove 50 miles in 4x4 mode (lots of snow on the highway). They called me at home and they said that someone left their store trailing lots of oil. Long story short, I had the truck towed to the dealership (Jiffy Lube paid for it) and the dealership said it had a bunch of rocks and sand in it. Jiffy Lube paid to overhaul the xfer case. Jiffy Lube initially tried to give me a junk yard transfer case and would not warranty it. "B.S.!", I said. That's when I asked the dealer to just rebuild it.
Let us know what happens.

·
Super Moderator
86,793 Posts
Let the manager give you his car to go get it or let him go get it. It is not your problem to figure out. Just be sure they don't get away with anything. It must be fixed to YOUR satisfaction.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
That's right - they screwed this up, they need to make it right. But...don't be an a**hole about it, treat 'em respectfully. They made a mistake, but give them the opportunity to make it right.

However, if I were you, I'd take it to the dealer and have them assess the situation. DON'T let the quick lube place assess the damage. Have the dealer fix it and make the quick lube place pay for it including the car rental if you need one.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Ranger said:
Maybe by over tightening it, they simply split the nylon gasket.
I would think this might be the only problem. It apparently isn't a drastic leak. I would think they would have told you about it if it was. Is there any oil accumulating on the ground while the car is parked?

It takes quite a bit of force to strip the threads, I would think.

Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
thu said:
You might want to check the owner's manual of your car. In the winter, when the temps are colder, GM might say it's ok to use the next thinner grade of oil. Refer to your owner's manual to verify this, I might be wrong. Perhaps 5w-30 is okay your vintage of N*, but check your manual to confirm. I don't think it hurt anything now or in the long run to have 5w-30 for such a short time.
the manual does, indeed, state that. when i did my first oil change on the car after i bought it, i used 5W-30, ran it until the next change, and then realized it was supposed to be 10W-30. it's still oil, and only 3-4,000 miles shouldn't kill your engine. i'm no engineer, just a backyard mechanic. it's been over 20,000 miles since i did the 5W, and no effects that I can tell. :cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
5w-30 will not harm your engine as they are both 30 weight oils. The 5w is for initial startup when the engine is cold and during the winter months would probably be even better. The N Star engine comes up to temperature very quickly compared to most cars so both oils will be a 30 weight oil at operating temperature.

Good luck on getting the drain plug taken care off, but if you don't have the prior receipt that they provided the oil change it should be in their system as they log every car they do. Don't settle for a mickey mouse fix either as you should demand that it be fixed properly by a certified mechanic. It was their mistake, not yours.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
I run Mobil 1 5W30 in winter, and Mobil 1 10W30 in the summer. That should not cause a problem.

Some interesting points in this post. If the gasket on the plug is messed up, that could (might) be all that's wrong with it.... how much oil is leaking??

Another very excellent point here is, I would anticipate that they will try to say that the plug was stripped WHEN YOU BROUGHT IT IN. So, if you want them to do anything about this, you will need proof that they did the PREVIOUS oil change on the car..... hopefully you have that, or, it should hopefully be in their computer.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep they've done every single oil change in the car since I got it back in February. I go by the oil life monitor (so it's around every 6000 ~7500 miles), vs their sticker.

They overfilled me the first time, and the third time. The second time they lubed the steering wheel, seat, shift knob, door handle, door, ac condenser--for free. I need to start doing my own oil changes.

I'm going to let them know that they need to pay for an oil change at a GM facility (Chevy or Cadillac, etc), where they can asess the damage to the drain plug and replace as necessary.

Thank you all for your advice!

5W-30 is in my operating manual as recommended if temperatures are anywhere from 60 deg F down to below zero.

Here in Texas, the temperatures will easily top 60 (80s just last week), and I have never heard of it going down below zero. The lowest I've seen is in the 20s--even the oil cap says 10W-30, and this oil place has never put 5W-30 before--I wonder what they were thinking?

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Regarding the "leak" I have no idea. I did add 2 qts between the oil changes, which is probably one qt too many. I did two 500 mile trips, so I had atributed to that.

I suspect if I do leak (which they confirmed), it happens at operating speeds and flies all over the bottom of the car. I'm actually excited to get a new drain plug as the one on there does look a bit butchered.

Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
108 Posts
... at least your quickie-lube place drains the oil through the pan - I won't go to our local one 'cause they suck the oil out of the filler tube - which means any garbage that accumulates in the bottom of the pan has NO chance to drain out.
You said the bolt was messed up - could some have used a "custom fit tool" (locking pliers or channel locks) on it in the dear dim past? Always makes for a nice fastener.
Best of luck with the quickie-lube guy and the dealer - guess that's one reason I do my own oil changes on the vehicles - when the guy started to insert the "suck-a-lux" tube down into my crankcase I was sold on home mechanics ...

Steve

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
mtflight, your car will be just fine with 5W-30, even in the Texas temperatures. If they put in 0W-30, I *might* worry, but 5W isn't going to hurt anything. It's possible you could notice a little more valve train clatter, but that's unlikely, and even if you do hear it, it's nothing to worry about unless it's loud.

When you talk with the quickie-lube manager, ask for the exact details of where and why there is a leak from overtightening the drain plug. That doesn't make any sense to me. Those places notoriously overtighten those plugs, that's not something new, but it would be an unusual occurrence for them to overtighten it so much they damaged the threads. I think more likely is that they don't have a clue where the oil is coming from and it should be checked out using an oil-safe UV dye by a qualified repair shop. (not necessarily a dealership)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts