Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do my brake pads & rotors today. After taking everything apart I noticed that the front brake pads (OEM pads I ordered 2 years ago from GM Parts Direct) are all the same. All 4 pads are numbered 07.7275.56. So it looks like I need to order another set. Has anyone else used the OEM pads? Were there two different pads in the box?

I'm hesitant to drive my car with the old pads and rotor put back on since the pads are really low. So I need to get new pads ASAP since I can't drive my car. None of the dealers in my area have the pads in stock, and they want $170 for them anyway. Anyone know a good place to get the pads quickly?

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't reinstall the factory pads! I bought a set of Hawks for $189 (front and rears) shipped and I LOVE THEM. Practically NO dust and they're going to perform better!

As for being quick, this might not be the best alternative, but they're really worth waiting for.

Sorry for not helping more on the situation, though :D

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
It's no problem to use 4 identical pads on the front of a V.
These are Fixed Caliper Brembo brakes not floating calipers like the CTS.
Inside and outside pads are identical.
If they fit you are fine.

Your part number is different from what came off my car though.
Perhaps there used to be 2 different part numbers due to wear sensors or something silly like that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wrong pads fit, but the taper on the leading edge of the friction material is wrong on the outside pad (which is why there are different numbers I guess).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
LOL - That's interesting.
My OEM pads do all have the same part number.
Also, they are tapered on both sides of each pad.

I suppose you could perform some additional tapering yourself or just not worry about it.
Tapering reduces friction area, so I vote for not worrying about it.

I can see how this would be annoying though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah..I see the confusion. 07.7783.43 is the rear pads...my problem is with the front, which I never mentioned in my 1st post. The rear pads are tapered at both ends, the fronts are not. The only reason I worry is that with the incorrect taper the pads may wear incorrectly or have some other problem. And since I really like to hammer my brakes, I get nervous when everything isn't just so (Plus I'm a bit AR).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ok, my bad on the rear pads.
They were just sitting in the shelf, and I thought they were the fronts.

You are missing the .57's

Don't stress over it though.
Tapering is just for anti squeek.
You can taper them yourself, if you want, or just not worry about it.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Whether the pad material is tapered or not means nothing. They will be nice and flat when you're done with them anyway. All pads have a FMSI #. Our fronts are D592 and our rears are D1011. You get those numbers and you can take that to any pad manufacturer and get your pads. The only thing to worry about is if you get wider rotors, you may need to have your pads shaved. But since you're using stock rotors, you're fine.

If you don't mind taking a drive, just go up to VIR and get whatever Hawk compound you desire for the V. Or call the Tire Rack. They can deliver uber-quick if need be.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
By "tapered" I assume you mean the leading edge is "chamfered". This is done on most premium pads to prevent the pads from bouncing or grabbing during application. It does help reduce break squeal along with the use of shims between the pad metal backing and caliper.

I figure with all the noise I have on my V, including rear whining, drive train clunking, water pump singing, etc, - if I can have quieter brakes I'm all for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts